2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to put antique tags on my GMC today.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we don't make cables unless we need a custom length one. Costs more money to have us messing around building cables than it does to have us get the job done quickly and get back to testing/helping customers...

so we have bin's full of pre-made cables.

I do however make my own cables for home using CAT 5e. They are simple to make and I have all the tools to do it... (wire wrap stripper, crimp/cutting tool, and cable tester)

At home I had to make my cables though...I wired the house so everything is long custom lengths. wifi doesn't cut it in my house as it can't reach from one side of the house to the other. so there are wifi points on both ends of the house, and wired switches in every room of the house that has a computer in it.

As for storage: I don't have more than 2TB total on my desktop because I don't really store much there anymore. All of my movies and TV shows I download all get stored on my NAS device.

I have an 8TB NAS device that has 5.8TB useable space (4x2TB drives in RAID-5)

It's a little square box just big enough to hold 4 drives that plugs into the network and power. It has no place to hook up a monitor, or keyboard or mouse, but it is a mini-server. It runs windows storage server 2008R2 basic. It boots up and gives you its IP and status via a small LCD display on the front of it. then you can remote desktop it to configure it or use their control software to configure it/update it/check its status.

It's not a powerful machine, but it doesn't have to be. Plenty fast for its purpose. has like a 1.8ghz intel atom processor with 2GB ram. redundant GB network interface that can be teamed to double link speed.

does its job and acts as a dumping ground for my large files and can stream more than one 1080p movie simultaneously without lag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236013

bought one at frys over a year ago for $1200. Worth every penny.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Washed the Ford ad polished bumpers and door handles. Took a hour for all that polishing, still need to polish stainless rims and mirrors, then if I have chemical left to polish the running boards.

I'm getting it ready to sell, should have it listed this week yet.

I still need to put tire dressing on the tires, polish the paint, then wax the whole shebang, polish the tail lights, vacuum the interior, shampoo the carpet, vacuum the carpet and seats, dust the interior, clean windows on the inside, then I can call it cleaned, then I get to take pics and vids and list it!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Jigabop
Champion

http://screen.yahoo.com/island-full-...230016206.html

*** that island! I ain't going anywhere near it...

lets see...110 acre island, and 430,000 of those f-in snakes on that island! oh hell no!

Last edited by Jigabop; 07-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Where do you get these? Some of them are just ridiculous!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
we don't make cables unless we need a custom length one. Costs more money to have us messing around building cables than it does to have us get the job done quickly and get back to testing/helping customers...

so we have bin's full of pre-made cables.

I do however make my own cables for home using CAT 5e. They are simple to make and I have all the tools to do it... (wire wrap stripper, crimp/cutting tool, and cable tester)

At home I had to make my cables though...I wired the house so everything is long custom lengths. wifi doesn't cut it in my house as it can't reach from one side of the house to the other. so there are wifi points on both ends of the house, and wired switches in every room of the house that has a computer in it.

As for storage: I don't have more than 2TB total on my desktop because I don't really store much there anymore. All of my movies and TV shows I download all get stored on my NAS device.

I have an 8TB NAS device that has 5.8TB useable space (4x2TB drives in RAID-5)

It's a little square box just big enough to hold 4 drives that plugs into the network and power. It has no place to hook up a monitor, or keyboard or mouse, but it is a mini-server. It runs windows storage server 2008R2 basic. It boots up and gives you its IP and status via a small LCD display on the front of it. then you can remote desktop it to configure it or use their control software to configure it/update it/check its status.

It's not a powerful machine, but it doesn't have to be. Plenty fast for its purpose. has like a 1.8ghz intel atom processor with 2GB ram. redundant GB network interface that can be teamed to double link speed.

does its job and acts as a dumping ground for my large files and can stream more than one 1080p movie simultaneously without lag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236013

bought one at frys over a year ago for $1200. Worth every penny.
Unless your house is huge or has **** tons of brick/block/concrete why not just get a ubiquiti nanostation and point it at the other direction of the house?

Them little bastards are pretty powerful.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnn123
Where do you get these? Some of them are just ridiculous!
http://9gag.com/trending

*WARNING*

Be prepared to spend a few hours there.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Rebel541
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
http://9gag.com/trending

*WARNING*

Be prepared to spend a few hours there.
Awesome!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Jigabop
Champion

wouldn't work. it operates at 5GHz and 5GHz wave lengths are too small to penetrate walls. if it were 900MHz it would have a better chance of getting to the other end of the house.

the problem is the amount of walls it needs to penetrate. it has to go through 5-6 walls to reach the other end of the house from where the main switch, router, and modem are in the house.

The way I have it set up is the best for reliability and connection speed. wired gigabit for both HTPC's, and wireless AP's on both ends of the house for laptops. everything else is wired.

there is a total of 7 computers, 1 NAS device, 1 IP-Phone, and 3 smart phones that use the network in the house.

I have a decent setup to run it.

have the modem hooked to the router (even though the modem has its own, I don't trust it as a firewall since comcast has control over it) the router then hooks to my main switch which is a 16-port gigabit switch. from there it splits off to my desktop, the NAS, the wireless AP in the attic, the 8-port gigabit switch in the office, a 4 port gigabit switch in the other bedroom, and a 4 port gigabit switch/wireless AP on the other end of the house.

why would I want a wireless link to an HTPC anyway when a gigabit wired link is MUCH faster (and cheaper) for streaming 1080P movies

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread