2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I can't drive my truck on the freeway when it's raining I guess. I was cruising, when I noticed my truck started sputtering when I gave it gas, and I didn't think I was going to be able to pull a couple hills. Wouldn't you know my Check Engine light started flashing, so I pulled over on the side of the highway and the truck Idled really rough. Well, with the rain pouring down so hard, you couldn't see 10 ft. in front of you, and nearly everyone driving with their hazards on, I decided the side of the road wasn't the best place to be. I waited for the CE light to quit flashing, then I limped it to a gas station. My distributor was throwing sparks. Everything under the hood was soaked except the top of the radiator, and the air filter cover. It never had that problem before.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:12 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jigabop
wouldn't work. it operates at 5GHz and 5GHz wave lengths are too small to penetrate walls. if it were 900MHz it would have a better chance of getting to the other end of the house.

the problem is the amount of walls it needs to penetrate. it has to go through 5-6 walls to reach the other end of the house from where the main switch, router, and modem are in the house.

The way I have it set up is the best for reliability and connection speed. wired gigabit for both HTPC's, and wireless AP's on both ends of the house for laptops. everything else is wired.

there is a total of 7 computers, 1 NAS device, 1 IP-Phone, and 3 smart phones that use the network in the house.

I have a decent setup to run it.

have the modem hooked to the router (even though the modem has its own, I don't trust it as a firewall since comcast has control over it) the router then hooks to my main switch which is a 16-port gigabit switch. from there it splits off to my desktop, the NAS, the wireless AP in the attic, the 8-port gigabit switch in the office, a 4 port gigabit switch in the other bedroom, and a 4 port gigabit switch/wireless AP on the other end of the house.

why would I want a wireless link to an HTPC anyway when a gigabit wired link is MUCH faster (and cheaper) for streaming 1080P movies
I run 2.4gHz through a basement foundation a metal roof and then another wall. Granted I am running dual signals (dual antennas, each does one way), and then I am at 95dB for power setting, I can stream YouTube 1080P that way, though I usually don't as it eats bandwidth.

Originally Posted by Mopar Mike
Well, I can't drive my truck on the freeway when it's raining I guess. I was cruising, when I noticed my truck started sputtering when I gave it gas, and I didn't think I was going to be able to pull a couple hills. Wouldn't you know my Check Engine light started flashing, so I pulled over on the side of the highway and the truck Idled really rough. Well, with the rain pouring down so hard, you couldn't see 10 ft. in front of you, and nearly everyone driving with their hazards on, I decided the side of the road wasn't the best place to be. I waited for the CE light to quit flashing, then I limped it to a gas station. My distributor was throwing sparks. Everything under the hood was soaked except the top of the radiator, and the air filter cover. It never had that problem before.
Time for a tune up, ours did that too. new dizzy cap and wires solved it.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
http://9gag.com/trending

*WARNING*

Be prepared to spend a few hours there.
Oh my.... I will be there the rest of the night if anyone needs me
Thank you sir

Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope that happened before the patient was in the ambulance. LOL

Last edited by zman17; 07-17-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Jigabop
Champion

believe me when I say the wireless route has already been tried. too many lag spikes and dropped connections. even tried a wireless repeater...same issue, works till someone walks through the house and then it drops connection...not reliable enough. wired works 24/7 with zero signal interruption, and it's already installed and done. Saves me the money of having to buy two extra wireless cards anyway

Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
believe me when I say the wireless route has already been tried. too many lag spikes and dropped connections. even tried a wireless repeater...same issue, works till someone walks through the house and then it drops connection...not reliable enough. wired works 24/7 with zero signal interruption, and it's already installed and done. Saves me the money of having to buy two extra wireless cards anyway
I can believe that.

ALL of the walls on this house are Virginia Fire Brick, walls are nearly 1' thick, used to have issues with some older Buffalo Wireless Routers, signal strength was **** poor.

I use wireless on mobile devices, the pc's and my laptop are hardwired through a switch or router, depending on which room they're in.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Mike
Make sure your hood seal, seals the back of the hood to the wiper cowl, is not loose or missing. If it is loose in the middle like mine was , it will funnel all the water right onto your dizzy cap.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i sold the holley 650 double pumper carb that i had sitting in the basement. it was on my 81 when i first bought it. got a whole $150 for it which i think is pretty good considering i bought the 390cfm holley for $50

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by Rebel541
Awesome!

that guy's name is remi gaillard (spelling?)....he's a french soccer player and is hilarious. search his name on youtube and you'll find all sorts of ridiculous things he does...here's one of my favorites

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread