2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
^cool! How old are you now
18. School also started today so that was no fun

Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
18. School also started today so that was no fun
lol

I ain't got no school. Done with that crap for a couple years.

Happy birthday btw.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Looks like we're in the same boat here.

Weird. Fluid just slightly dark? No little glitter in it? My fluid was just slightly metallic...
Fluid was nice and red, no glitter.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by stewie01
Fluid was nice and red, no glitter.
Hmm....we have a similar problem, but caused by different things.

Weird. The truck is currently running well, but I'm not driving it near as hard as I used to. I baby the damn thing now. lol
MPG outta go up.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:05 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Rolling the lip for clearance for the tires. Obviously doing it improperly.

The PROPER way:

Last edited by kejobe; 08-23-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM
BBartow
Captain

^Ah, I see

Old 08-23-2013, 10:59 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Default Stop signs? What's this all REALLY about?

Found this interesting article, and it pretty well matches my thinking (granted, I do stop for stop signs).

My municipality just finished a study that is quite an eye opener for this part of the world.

The speed limit on side roads is 40 km/h. Which is a reasonable number considering the number of cyclists, joggers and kids playing street hockey are out there.

But the previous administration also slapped up as many stop signs as they could and then constructed speed bumps in between stops.

All completely unnecessary, apparently, because this latest survey shows an average speed of 44 km/h when stop signs and speed bumps are present and only 41 km/h when a driver has a steady run.

Why is this so?

Because, apart from the cap on backwards, bumpers scraping the ground, coffee can muffler teenagers, most drivers are reasonable and responsible people with children, or grand children of their own.

But frequent stop signs and speed bumps bring out the frustration and down goes the the right foot.
Most modern cars have plenty of horsepower, so getting back up to speed is no problem at all.

Give drivers a clean run and they will comply much more closely with the law.

Who knew? Well, the Brits did, they abolished stop signs years ago.

Every time I receive visitors from Europe, I get the same reaction from them:
"What's with all the stop signs you fellows have, almost at every corner?"
And they're absolutely right. In the UK of-course there ARE no stop signs.
Everyone is trained to give way to the fellow coming from their right.
(It would be the left if we were to adopt such a system).

But, hell we can't even turn right on a red light in this part of the world, let alone suggest that we might have the
necessary maturity to actually give way to the left at an intersection.

The Brits also turn a lot of their traffic lights to flashing red at 11 pm. Another bright idea,
How many of you have to sat alone at an intersection controlled by traffic lights, at midnight, without another car in sight?

But to get back to the stop sign issue for a minute If the tree huggers and econazis wanted to earn any respect from me and many many other motorists, they would figure out that stop signs are one of the most polluting and energy wasting "ideas" that has ever been invented.

Let's see what stop signs do:

1) They wear out brakes and suspension.
2) They create extra engine load and clutch and transmission wear.
3) They pollute like crazy, because a car uses five times more fuel to accelerate to speed than to maintain a steady speed.
4) They are a major nuisance to to home owners in the immediate area since noise becomes all embracing as cars first
put on their brakes and then accelerate again.

I'm sure every long distance transport driver with a 16 speed manual gearbox, would be delighted if even half of the existing stop signs were to be dismantled.

City "engineers" use stop signs to placate the usual militant citizens who want cars to go back to the days when every car
had to have a man with a red flag walking in front.

You can imagine the conversation:
You say there's cars speeding on your street? Don't worry, we'll erect another stop sign.
That should put paid to the bastards. In fact this has now proven to be untrue.

And then there's the four way stop. Nothing I can imagine is more dangerous to motorists or creates more fender benders than the four way stop sign. It's illogical and insane and yet every municipality in North America does it and every one of them is guilty of rescindant thinking.

So the end result, particularly as gas prices rise, is that more and more otherwise law abiding citizens barrel through these stop signs, almost without slowing down.

For Gods' sake, municipal "engineers" do what we've done and rethink this whole crazy concept (and take out the speed bumps) And while you're at it, note that, as we said, all these devices are very environmentally unfriendly. They damage cars and give drivers a nasty jolt, but now speed bumps have now been found guilty of an even worse crime — they are helping to destroy the planet.
The traffic-calming measures double the carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption by forcing drivers to brake and
accelerate repeatedly. A car that achieves 29 miles per gallon travelling at a steady 30 mph will deliver only 15 mpg
when going over bumps or through stop signs.

In the UK, an independent engineer was engaged by the AA and he used a fuel flow meter to test the consumption of a small and a medium-sized car at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.

The results, calculated by averaging the performances of the two cars, also showed that reducing the speed limit from 30 mph to 20 mph resulted in 10 per cent higher emissions. This is because car engines are designed to be most efficient at speeds above 30 mph.

A motorist who observed the speed limit on one mile of 20 mph road during a daily journey would produce an extra ton
of CO2 in a year compared with driving at 30 mph on the same stretch.

In an unusual move for a motoring organisation, the AA called for the introduction of cameras that detect average
speeds to replace bumps.

Edmund King, the AA’s president, said: “bumps are a crude, uncomfortable and noisy way of slowing people down
and this research has shown they are also environmentally damaging. We accept that traffic speed needs to be controlled in residential areas where there is a problem with accidents and children are playing. We think motorists are more likely to accept average speed cameras than bumps.”

Previous research by the Transport Research Laboratory found that air pollution rose significantly on roads with bumps.
Carbon monoxide emissions increased by 82 per cent and nitrogen oxide by 37 per cent.
The London Ambulance Service has claimed that the 30,000 bumps on the capital's roads cause up to 500 deaths a
year because its crews suffer delays in reaching victims of cardiac arrest.

Bumps tend to breed more bumps and stop signs more of the same. If one street has bumps and more stop signs
installed, the next street calls for bumps and signs and eventually you find no clear roads for movement of emergency
service vehicles.

Transport for London has been helping to test average-speed cameras on residential roads. No tickets are being issued yet, but the mere presence of the cameras has resulted in the proportion of drivers complying with the limit increasing by a third.

The new cameras are not linked but have synchronised clocks and each separately transmits information to a processing centre. This allows several cameras to work together without the need to dig up the road between them to lay cables. In urban areas this can halve the cost of installing the system.

Putting in 50 standard bumps on three or four connecting residential streets costs about $300,000. A set of eight average-speed cameras covering the same area would cost $500,000.
Post your thoughts, but stay reasonable.No flamewars.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:25 AM
BBartow
Captain

I thought STOP meant "Spin Tires On Pavement", oh well. Where I live we have those retarded red light cameras at intersections, those things do more bad than good. Anyways, as far as stop signs go, if we didn't have them people would be idiots, but with them people are still idiots.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

People will always be idiots, we can't change what they do, but we CAN control what we do, so that we don't add to the number of idiots. Out on the country roads out here, many times a stopsign is placed at the top of a hill, and in the winter time it becomes dangerous to stop entirely, you may not be able to get started, or may slide into a ditch trying to stop or accelerate, and YES THAT HAS HAPPENED. That's why basically everybody in the wintertime ignores the stop sign, they treat it as a yield sign, and so only slow down at the sign, and BTW the law enforcement does that too, seen em...

Old 08-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Rebel541
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canadian Street Gang

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread