2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i got enough air miles right now to get me $60 worth of fuel for free and hopefully by the end of the week i should have enough for $70 worth of free gas.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are air miles?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
Cool jig I just learned something new.

I looked at several 24valves in years past when we were thinking to upgrade to a 3/4 ton, but we never got one.

We still are kicking ourselves for the deal we missed.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD, quad cab short box, 4wd, auto, 24valve, you name it it had it. Stock engine and trans though, excepting the upgraded trans cooler. Only had 50K on it, they were asking $6500...

So is there any way to tell the pumps apart visually?
HP rating is labeled right on the pump..

other than that HO pumps only came on 01-02 6-spd trucks. HO pumps won't work on a SO motor, but SO pumps will work on a HO motor.

it's an issue with the electronics that makes the HO not work on a SO truck. so you never have to worry about getting a SO truck with the wrong pump on it...it just flat out wont run.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
what are air miles?
its a Canadian thing
www.airmiles.ca

Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Jigabop
Champion

credit card rewards program...

they have credit card rewards programs here in the states too...

the more you spend on your credit card, the more points you earn towards whatever type of rewards card you choose...

I should change my credit card to a rewards card. I don't get **** right now.

I use it here and there for fuel, but now safeway is charging 10 cents a gallon extra on gas/diesel if you use a credit card, so I haven't used it as much unless I go to fred meyer fuel, or sams club to fill up. (costco doesn't accept credit cards nor do they have diesel at their gas stations)

pretty much all I use my credit card for...fill the tanks and pay it off at the end of every month. I never carry a balance on it. gets paid off every month so I don't have to pay interest. good for my credit history...pretty much only reason I use it. I have the money in the bank, but using money in the bank doesn't build credit history or improve your credit. years of using and paying off credit does though long as you never miss a payment.

Last edited by Jigabop; 08-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Oh those things... lol...

Well since I've got you on the line Jigabop, why did some early Dodge cummins have a distributor type pump? I've seen them several times, and they did come that way from the factory.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by Jigabop
credit card rewards program...

they have credit card rewards programs here in the states too...

the more you spend on your credit card, the more points you earn towards whatever type of rewards card you choose...

I should change my credit card to a rewards card. I don't get **** right now.

I use it here and there for fuel, but now safeway is charging 10 cents a gallon extra on gas/diesel if you use a credit card, so I haven't used it as much unless I go to fred meyer fuel, or sams club to fill up. (costco doesn't accept credit cards nor do they have diesel at their gas stations)

pretty much all I use my credit card for...fill the tanks and pay it off at the end of every month. I never carry a balance on it. gets paid off every month so I don't have to pay interest. good for my credit history...pretty much only reason I use it. I have the money in the bank, but using money in the bank doesn't build credit history or improve your credit. years of using and paying off credit does though long as you never miss a payment.
air miles does not require a credit card but of course you will get way more air miles if you get a air miles credit card. all the airmiles i have earned in the last month has been on cash transactions.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The off topic threads stay specific to the off topic "topic" ! lol Or they are all going into one, simple as that. And it sucks if that what it takes.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Jigabop
Champion

the vp44 is a distributor type pump
as is the VE pump from the 1st gen 12v's like wombat's truck.

the distributor type pumps allowed variable injection timing with mechanical injection vs the 2nd gen 12v that had the P7100 pump that had static timing.

you could adjust the timing on a p-pump, but that timing would be the same at all rpms which isn't very efficient for optimal performance...

the "distributor" (rotary) pumps can change their timing throughout the rpm range for optimal performance.

example: vp44's with a lot of timing make tons of torque in the bottom end, but if that timing is carried through to the top end, it loses potential power and falls on its face in the top end..

now if I start off with 10* advanced timing in the bottom end and shift that timing to say 1-3* advanced in the top end... I get that bottom end power, and I can carry that power into the top end without it falling on its face.

the timing however is limited on rotary pumps where the p-pump though statically timed, can push more timing, and better yet, common rails are full electronic control so they have precise control over their timing without the mechanical limitations...

the same can be seen on gasoline engines. your distributor controls your ignition timing and it is variable to an extent, but it is mechanically limited as to how retarded or advanced it can go in the fixed position it is in...coil packs changed all of that with gassers eliminating the mechanical limitations of a distributor giving precise electronic control.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

sounds fair

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread