2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
Are you going to put a supercharger on it in the process of building it up?
I remember watching one of those shows on either Spike or Speed (the one with Stacey David) and they took a 2009 Challenger and put a supercharger on it and it made for a dramatic increase in horsepower.
I'll grant that there is nothing quite as sexy as a high revving V8 motor with a nice roots style blower sitting on top squeeling its heart out. Problem is, that sound is made from the drive cogs and people complained about the noise. Why? I have not a clue but they did. Now consumer blowers are as quiet as hell.

The next problem with them is that they produce hot air from the compression.

I know what you're thinking now... What about procharger? Well, I'm no fan of them either. The way I see it, a procharger or other centrifugal design on a blower is nothing more than a belt driven turbo. It makes no sense to me.

The deciding factor came down to safety on this build. I tried to tell my friend this before we got up there, but in the end, it took Steve telling him the same thing I've been saying for months before he got it.

In the past, a nice roots blower always forced air through the throttle body or carb at idle. People got around it by simply tuning to get around it. To get around this issue, blower manufacturers started building in an auto valve that would stop the blower from forcing air past the TB at idle.

This valve works much like a blow off valve in the regard that once a certain pressure hits it, the valve opens up and bam, you have power. It's great for instant power, but when you're working with a 600-700HP motor, you can see the dangers start to arise.

Imagine that you're out for a nice cruise, or you drove your car to work one day and a freak storm came out of no where. The streets are now wet. You have a serious problem on your hands and if you've never had a car built up like this, then you could destroy the car if no kill yourself in the process.

Besides, that car wont need anything but what the motor can create on its own off the line.

For that reasoning, we talked him into a dual STS turbo setup. This wont be just a simple bolt on project though. RDP is a major fan of matching the turbos to the motor which means that he will basically use four turbos to create two turbos that match the needs of the motor. This means no turbo lag, but still enough of a gap in the power band that you wont see power hits until the midrange. Which, I think to be a little bit safer for those that don't have the rime behind a high powered car like that.

As for the oppertuinty, when I started classes back in January, I saw this guy wearing an SRT-8 Challenger hat. I thought," Ok, this guy is a fan or something...". Got to talking with him, had coffee with him a few times and found out that he was wanting to do oh so much more to this car than your typical person would want to.

It took us almost seven months to figure out just what the main goal of this car would be. You would talk to the guy one day and he was just gonna leave the car alone and buy an 72 'cuda or something like that and build up... The next day, we were talking about dropping a 440 in the bitch.

In the end, he found this shop and we rented a trailer, hopped in his ram and drove north for 17 hours with two kids in the back seat with bladders the size of peas.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 07-01-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
OZMarshy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba39047
so why would you bring it back into the bathroom? i have my doubts
cause i had just gotten home

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
OZMarshy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
Why are UTE's so popular there and not American trucks?
Mate i dunno cause if it was upto me thats all we have here ha ha. I just want Dodge to start bringing them out here so that we don't have to import them and cost us like double what you guys pay for them

Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much did yours cost with the import fee? Now a days a 95 v10 would probably run somewhere around $3000-5000 if it were in good condition.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anybody know if Cummins makes a small 3 cyl. diesel <20 HP? I wanna swap one in the Cub.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a 4bt

Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Old 07-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

goodbye functional tie rod ends.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keeping up with the chally project, I got to talking to the garage owner and he showed me his personal challenger... I do plan on seeing this one close up the next time we're up there....

This is NOT the friend of mine's chally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCMtJ...eature=channel

Say bye to the stock tires. Wow. That is a 440CI Hemi with twin roots blowers on it.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 07-10-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain

I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane today. It was amazing! this was my first time so I had to go tandom but the dude let me pull the rip cord and do all the turning and controlling the landing, it was awesome.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread