2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is your "Daily WTF" for the next two weeks:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ngsnow510.html

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
As Jimmy Buffett sings it, I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.
well, if you can avoid dying on this road, then it would be an interesting drive. Bolivia's "Death Road". For those that might have never seen this... enjoy.

http://www.ssqq.com/archive/vinlin27b.htm

it get's a little congested in places...

others, not so much...

uh-oh. hold on granny, looks like we got to back up.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Here is your "Daily WTF" for the next two weeks:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ngsnow510.html
ok, i'll bite. in the spirit of WTF, exactly WTF are i'm looking at here ?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
ok, i'll bite. in the spirit of WTF, exactly WTF are i'm looking at here ?
Look up his posts in the past few hours.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
it isn't the act that puts the freak on me- it's having to trust a piece of gear.. I hate having to trust equipment to keep me alive..
Although it looked scary, we were safer there than on the paved highways that got us there or in the suburb where we lived. There were no other drivers around, we were moving at walking speed or less in the twitchy spots except on that final switchback, and we were in control of most of the factors that could have got us killed. All we had to do on that cliff face was keep all four on the road. The top switchback was really the only dangerous part.

I'm perfectly comfortable and feel quite safe when I'm way out in the boonies far from silly-visation all by myself or with one or two trusted others. And feel safer under my backpack than in a vehicle in those remote places. I know how to work mountains and deserts and forests and rivers, but cities full of unpredictable and often stupid people scare me.

Originally Posted by ColoradoRamLover
The closest thing Ive ever been in a situation like that was on a pass around Silverton.
I hear ya. Remember that television commercial from the 1990's with the young woman talking about feeling safe driving her Stuparoo over Wolf Creek Pass? I always laughed at that one. 550's a dangerous road in many places once you're in the high country, there's too little guard rail for my liking, and all it takes is one stupid or inattentive driver when you're on the outside of a curve (mostly southbound) to punch your ticket. My preferred route in and out of Durango from the north is through Cortez, but there's a long stretch along the bottoms where you're as likely as not to get a fur bumper cover in the morning or evening. Still, I'd rather hit a deer than the roof of a house in Ouray.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

so, speaking of challenging roads, let's try Siberia. I wonder how the Dodge would do?

uh-oh. mud looks a little deep here.

dammit boy, we'll not make it here.

WTF Luther! Is that your car in the sink hole...

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Dang Unreg, you make me wanna jump in the truck and go exploring out west.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Although it looked scary, we were safer there than on the paved highways that got us there or in the suburb where we lived. There were no other drivers around, we were moving at walking speed or less in the twitchy spots except on that final switchback, and we were in control of most of the factors that could have got us killed. All we had to do on that cliff face was keep all four on the road. The top switchback was really the only dangerous part.

I'm perfectly comfortable and feel quite safe when I'm way out in the boonies far from silly-visation all by myself or with one or two trusted others. And feel safer under my backpack than in a vehicle in those remote places. I know how to work mountains and deserts and forests and rivers, but cities full of unpredictable and often stupid people scare me.

I hear ya. Remember that television commercial from the 1990's with the young woman talking about feeling safe driving her Stuparoo over Wolf Creek Pass? I always laughed at that one. 550's a dangerous road in many places once you're in the high country, there's too little guard rail for my liking, and all it takes is one stupid or inattentive driver when you're on the outside of a curve (mostly southbound) to punch your ticket. My preferred route in and out of Durango from the north is through Cortez, but there's a long stretch along the bottoms where you're as likely as not to get a fur bumper cover in the morning or evening. Still, I'd rather hit a deer than the roof of a house in Ouray.

Wolf Creek is one of the most dangerous passes in Colorado. Wet or Dry(Especially wet). Ya, they widened it a little bit, but its pretty steep. Most people DO NOT KNOW how to drive a mountain pass. I dont know how many times I smelt hot brakes from cars and SUVs coming up and down that thing.. I here ya with going through cortez. Although Im a seasoned Vet of driving Red Mountain, which honestly is the sketchiest paved piece of road Ive drivin. Especially when its a blizzard, or when your following a drunk lol which actually happened when I was headed home to Pagosa a few months ago.

I aso agree with being out in the boondocks. You dont have to worry about all the stupid and unpredictable drivers up here! ****! I almost got rearended by a stupid **** in a yota when I was on my hunt for a Napa this evening. Only thing you gotta worry about are the dumb *** texans who think they own the place(no offence to you guy who are on here, but uh, yall dont appreciate the the backwoods and the beauty and just tear up the roads with you atvs and what not.... also same with city people(no offence either but idk how many times I come to a camping site and find a **** ton of trash, or a trail thats been torn up.... pisses me off.).

And purpl. I agree with you on his posts. lmao too funny.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Although Im a seasoned Vet of driving Red Mountain, which honestly is the sketchiest paved piece of road Ive drivin.
That is most surely is. The last time I went that way was when I interviewed for a job at Fort Lewis College back in '98 or '99, and on the way down with my family in the car we were nearly sideswiped by a northbound SUV sporting Utah plates that ended up crossed up on the road right after we passed. A half-second later and we'd have been shoved over the side. I'll take my chances with Bambi.

Out of something like 200 applicants I bagged the job, but I turned it down because Durango was booming up something fierce. It was a good job but I don't want to live in a boomtown.

Only thing you gotta worry about are the dumb *** texans who think they own the place
Gawd... I intend no offense to Texas or Texans, or folks who work in energy extraction, but there are regular decent folks then there's oil field trash. The area around the Piceance Basin will probably never be the same again. Those clowns are why I'm not there any more. They tend to thin out a bit each winter when they're crying by September about how cold it is, but the oil companies keep replacing them with more just like 'em.

also same with city people
I kinda figure that cities are more populated because more people prefer them, but thankfully I was born with what I like to think is better sense. I prefer to live in places where the population density is less than 10 people per square mile.

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Dang Unreg, you make me wanna jump in the truck and go exploring out west.
I say go for it! After high school, that is. There's a lot of darn fine country to explore in the west where there's a lot more public land than private. From the Front Range (eastern scarp) of the Rockies to the western slope of the Sierra, there's a lot that's worth visiting. There are some big patches of suck but there's more than enough in the rest to keep you knocking around for most of your life without ever seeing the same destination twice.

Enough of my off-topic rambling.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread