2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your living depends on livestock, ya tend to feel a little different Foxes I dont mind, they don't bother cattle too much, lol

Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I hate it when people kill wolves, cougars, and coyotes. I have a neighbor like that, always bitching about bobcats and the like. When you're encroaching on THEIR turf, expect to lose some livestock or the family pet. I've seen a coyote out my way and even foxes on my property. I welcome them because that means the rodent population will be reduced.
Coyotes are disgusting creatures who breed uncontrollably and also mate with domesticated dogs which creates even more problems. I will gladly slay a 'yote with my Norinco SKS no questions asked.

I like Fox because they are somewhat rare around here, same goes for Bobcats, but we do have them.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
my grand parents use to feed the fox at there place and they almost became like pets. the foxes use to always show up for breakfast and dinner and sometimes you would catch them napping out in the open through out the day.
My mother knew an old farm couple back in the 1970s. The farmer's wife said she would gladly lose a chicken to a fox as that meant the rat population was under control. 1 fox = 1 lost chicken. 1 rat can equal the entire flock being killed.

Originally Posted by Ramcountryboy
If your living depends on livestock, ya tend to feel a little different Foxes I dont mind, they don't bother cattle too much, lol
Not to start an argument or flame war, but again, it's my original argument. Besides that, if you watch King Corn or Food, Inc you'd change your diet right away like I did

Last edited by Gary-L; 12-01-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

1 chicken lost is slightly less of a loss than a calf, not sure on the poultry prices, but a fat steer is around $1300/head. Mountain lions are fine, in the mountains haha

Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1 fox = 1 lost chicken.
On which planet do foxes eat only one meal throughout their lives?

Ever seen the mayhem a pack of frenzied coyotes can do to a flock of sheep or a herd of cattle during their birthing seasons? Or what a raccoon or weasel (or the neighbors' dog) leaves behind when he exits the chicken coop?

I'll leave any critter alone if it wants to just hang around and not compete with me for food. Once it gets after my people, livestock, or crops, though, it's just minutes from buried in the cold damp earth. Yeah, I saw Fido run through here the other morning. Ain't seen him since, though.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
On which planet do foxes eat only one meal throughout their lives?
LOL! Valid point

Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some 20 years ago, I was staged at the top of a draw overlooking a field, where I hoped a few deer would come out to sun when the sun finally cared to rise.. it was bone cold.. like, ten under cold.. and so was I..

i had, at the urging of my buddy, put that 'doe in estrus' crap on a drag, and drug it through the woods behind me hours before dawn..

while sitting on the ground, slightly altering my position every few minutes as the twilight grew, and only so i could see the field better- i heard something coming up the same path I had used.. I just knew it was going to be the buck of a lifetime.. I had slightly double-backed, and figured said critter would make itself visible without me having to flex any muscles except raising the rifle and firing.. and then, said critter altered its course to come directly up behind me...

it made it to within ten feet by my ears calibration.. and stopped.. neither of us moved.. the tension become to great so i turned fairly fluidly around, swinging the rifle to bear in the same motion- and was looking at the rangiest dog I'd ever seen... or a pygmy wolf... or a pretty badass fox... or... a dang coyote? huh?

I was in the mountains of Tennessee, right where TN meets VA and NC.. nearest city was Mountain City.. and here I am staring at a coyote.. I had heard word, but sluffed it off as wild imaginations of drunk hunters.. but here he stood as plain as day..

I almost poked him in the nose with the crown of that rifle.. huh..

He backed up so fast it looked like his hind parts hydraulically moved into his shoulders, and repeated.. I dropped the rifle and grabbed for the Rugar 45/22 I was carrying- but he was long gone by the time I cleared leather.. If I had not been dressed like the stay puff marshmallow man, he would have bought the farm that day..

anyway, in the afternoon we ended the hunt by firing two quick rounds, and met up.. We walked the mile or so back to where we parked, and saw the owner of the ranch nearby- so we walked up to him to thank him, and tell him about what I'd seen..

He knew about them.. he said "those things are killing my calves".. He said he witnessed it first hand.. they would tag team by driving the calf into another group, and sprinting it some more- just to do it again.. When the calf couldn't run anymore, and lay on the ground gasping for air- lunch was served..

Coyotes have their place.. but it ain't in the dag-gone mountains of Tennessee... All of 'em there can be shot so far as I'm concerned.. I had my chance to thin the heard, but was surprised.. that won't happen again..

Old 12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You ever considered writing a novel?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it when people kill wolves, cougars, and coyotes. I have a neighbor like that, always bitching about bobcats and the like. When you're encroaching on THEIR turf, expect to lose some livestock or the family pet. I've seen a coyote out my way and even foxes on my property. I welcome them because that means the rodent population will be reduced.
So you aware that President Obama legalized Horse slaughter in the U.S. again?

Stupid bastard! (Not VW either)

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
So you aware that President Obama legalized Horse slaughter in the U.S. again?
Dogs gotta eat too.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread