2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
now that is cool! talk about a trip.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
I used to run Linux on my computers, but it went to ****. Way worse then Microsoft...... Especially the Unity Interface in Ubuntu, talk about FAIL.
You're going to knock Linux because you don't like Ubuntu? That's just goofy. Ubuntu is Debian For Dummies, and Unity is just a window manager. Here's what my desktop (in Debian, which I've been running on my workstation since I switched over from FreeBSD in 1995) looked like a couple of years ago:

Name:  Screenshot-1.png
Views: 66
Size:  130.8 KB

It's still much the same, but with fewer widgets in the bottom panel and more monitor screenlets along the right-hand side. I'm a system admin geek, gotta have system monitor crap all over the desktop to feel at home. The window manager is Compiz Fusion... which does cool stuff like this desktop cube for flashy desktop switching:

Name:  Screenshot-1-1.png
Views: 85
Size:  660.3 KB

And this desktop wall:

Name:  Screenshot-2.png
Views: 69
Size:  121.2 KB

Though I usually just tickle the keyboard to flip around because I usually know on which desktop the application I want is running so don't have to look for it, or flip through with the mouse wheel if I've already got a grip on the rodent.

Not that stupid desktop tricks have a darn thing to do with the quality of the operating system, of course. In terms of OS quality, everybody's got micro$uck beat, hands down. Still, if you've got any Linux installed and don't like the interface, change it. You can get as simple or as complex as you want and make the thing fit the way you want to use it. Ain't no one telling you how a computer interface has to work or look. Not in Linux, anyway.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
You're going to knock Linux because you don't like Ubuntu? That's just goofy. Ubuntu is Debian For Dummies, and Unity is just a window manager. Here's what my desktop (in Debian, which I've been running on my workstation since I switched over from FreeBSD in 1995) looked like a couple of years ago:

It's still much the same, but with fewer widgets in the bottom panel and more monitor screenlets along the right-hand side. I'm a system admin geek, gotta have system monitor crap all over the desktop to feel at home. The window manager is Compiz Fusion... which does cool stuff like this desktop cube for flashy desktop switching:

And this desktop wall:

Though I usually just tickle the keyboard to flip around because I usually know on which desktop the application I want is running so don't have to look for it, or flip through with the mouse wheel if I've already got a grip on the rodent.

Not that stupid desktop tricks have a darn thing to do with the quality of the operating system, of course. In terms of OS quality, everybody's got micro$uck beat, hands down. Still, if you've got any Linux installed and don't like the interface, change it. You can get as simple or as complex as you want and make the thing fit the way you want to use it. Ain't no one telling you how a computer interface has to work or look. Not in Linux, anyway.

Me like your setup!

I used to use Mandrake and Red Hat. Red Hat was great then I tried Mandrake 8 i think it was, and liked it, I used KDE on both.

Then Mandrake went to Mandriva and turned to crap. I haven't seen the newest Red Hat, or used it since 6.2.

I always hated Gnome, never could find anything else I liked.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I run Ubuntu as a second OS on my laptop. I like it, the only thing I don't like (and is the reason I don't use it more) is the lack of compatibility between it and Windows.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Jigabop
Champion

that's what samba is for.

lets you share files between them, and lets you join a windows domain or become a bastardized windows domain controller.

I don't use linux anymore and haven't for years. At work i manage an all windows network ranging from win xp to win 7 and server 2003 - server 2008R2

Everything just runs like a top and doesn't fail. Kinda wish something would fail just so I have an excuse to get out of the house and make a trip to the datacenter. (I work from home via VPN and IP-phone)

Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Me like your setup!
Thanks! I've run most of the window managers there are, and like this one the best. It does all kinds of cool stuff, but it can all be switched on or off as you like.

I used to use Mandrake and Red Hat. Red Hat was great then I tried Mandrake 8 i think it was, and liked it, I used KDE on both.
I set out to give KDE a month trial but only got about three weeks into it. I'm just not into be all/end all integrated desktop environments or anything that's trying to out-windoze the clunky interface of windoze. I run some Gnome and KDE apps, but mostly I prefer agnostic applications. Most of my work happens in vim and a terminal emulator anyway.

Could be I'm just an anachronistic old fool.

I always hated Gnome, never could find anything else I liked.
It's actually Gnome hiding behind Compiz Fusion (and the Emerald window decorator) on my system, but it could just as easily be Xfce4 or some other relatively modern somewhat Open Desktop compatible window manager. Compiz doesn't care, and since I don't see it I don't care, either.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I spend hours looking at this thread at work. I don't get nothing done but I LMAO!!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by VWandDodge

So true. Either that, or the girl isn't "playful" enough.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread