2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did some more digging and apparently snopes.com debunked this myth

Guess I'll have to check snopes.com for everything now.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is no such thing as "unbiased" news anymore.
Mark Twain, a feller wiser than myself, once said, "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed". And that was before Hearst and Pulitzer decided that a nice little war would sell newspapers and set out to convince the American populace that one of its military vessels was sunk in an act of terrorism.

People don't look at the news to become informed. They look at it to become afraid. It brings an energy into their lives that they can't readily get in any other way because most of the time there's nothing in their lives to be afraid of.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever first decided to measure engine displacement in liters must've been a dumbass.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Arde
Whoever first decided to measure engine displacement in liters must've been a dumbass.
True, because the most accurate method of measuring displacement is Watts.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by techningeer
Was writing a computer program all day yesterday, working on it more today. Writing it in BASH2 .
That's a script, man, not a program. And I don't even feel bad for being pedantic about it.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere but I can't find it. Care to elaborate?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well over 2 HOURS in the waiting room, I was there for nearly 4 hours all together. And the doctor was even sure it was/is posion ivy, he said there was only a vestibule or two that looked like it, but he was a bit shocked at how bad the rash is on my arms...

Crazy. Tons of prednisone and 50mg of benadryl every 4 hours.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That's a script, man, not a program. And I don't even feel bad for being pedantic about it.
Sorry man but you got it wrong. It's a program written in a scripting language.

You'll notice it's just as complex of source as any program. Only difference is that it is written in a run-time compilation language, more commonly referred to as a script.

Other languages such as C, C++, etc. are programs too and have just as complicated source, except these are not run-time compilation languages. They are compiled permanently.

Scripting languages can do anything other languages can do. Here's one for you: In case you never knew, the installation program on Slackware Linux has ALWAYS been written in BASH.

Yet you go to the Debian installation program, it is not written in BASH, but uses the exact same libraries behind the scenes (libncurses primarily). You'll just have to try it out and see what you think when I finish writing it.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere but I can't find it. Care to elaborate?

It's no joke, my friend. The article is chock full of information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Horsepower (hp) is the name of several units of measurement of power, the rate at which work is done. The most common conversion factor, especially for electrical power, is 1 hp = 746 watts. The term was adopted in the late 18th century by Scottish engineer James Watt to compare the output of steam engines with the power of draft horses. It was later expanded to include the output power of other types of piston engines, as well as turbines, electric motors and other machinery.[1][2] The definition of the unit varied between geographical regions. Most countries now use the SI unit watt for measurement of power. With the implementation of the EU Directive 80/181/EEC on January 1, 2010, the use of horsepower in the EU is only permitted as supplementary unit.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread