2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Anyone with H.I.D.s

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EFS463
And for whoever is wondering, the Bi-Xenon blubs arent worth it.....yeah, you wont need high beams, lol.
So, basically, you are blinding oncoming traffic with the equivalent of high beam intensity bulbs that are not properly aligned.

Bi-Xenon bulbs (highs and lows) are highly recommended, and the housings then need proper alignment. The actual proper way of doing it is different housings (ex. projectors), as ours have no beam cut-off like the newer vehicles and are prone to blinding oncoming traffic even with higher wattage bulbs, let alone HIDs.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 PM
EFS463
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
So, basically, you are blinding oncoming traffic with the equivalent of high beam intensity bulbs that are not properly aligned.

Bi-Xenon bulbs (highs and lows) are highly recommended, and the housings then need proper alignment. The actual proper way of doing it is different housings (ex. projectors), as ours have no beam cut-off like the newer vehicles and are prone to blinding oncoming traffic even with higher wattage bulbs, let alone HIDs.
I really don't get flashed by other drivers very often. HIDS are a very, very popular thing around where I live. Its starting to seem like 1 out of every 5 or 10 cars that pass me have HIDS. It started with ricers in Honda's but now everyone is getting them. Those lexus and acuras with factory HIDS blind me when they pass me. Yet they let them leave the factory like that. I pass police officers and follow behind them often and have never gotten pulled over, and out of all the people I know that have them, only one person got pulled over because the alignment was WAY off. As far as I know, HIDS wont fit in projectors. A buddy of mine with an integra melted the housing of his new projectors cause the HIDS wont fit. And I was just saying that personally, I would not pay the extra for a bi-xenon because if you cant see the road with an HID bulb (you know or even silverstars for that matter) you probably shouldnt be driving in the first place

Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 AM
beefythedodge
Veteran

the bi xenon bulbs will pay off when you are on backroads for sure, really lights things up with more distance so you can see things like animals and what not. they are a good investment, but certainly will not see the use that you factory highs will see.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

So who has the link for some 6000k h.i.d.'s for my 99 ram? I just bought some 55w 6000k fog lights, and want to get some headlights to match

Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
lowriderman3
Amateur

Originally Posted by lowriderman3
Well since this thread has been bumped, I will ask my question..LOL..I have a '94 Ram 1500 that I use as my daily..When I tried to order HID's for it sometime ago, DDM said that there was problems with using HID's in that year Ram.But I see here that people are having success in running them.

I have/had them in all my cars/trucks I have owned since the existence of aftermarket HID's. So am I good to go on the DDM for highs and fogs? Do we need a load balancer or anything outside of the kit? I know most kits now come with the load balancer built in.
^^Anyone??

Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Prototype
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowriderman3
^^Anyone??
Mine is a '94.Post number 33. I got the 55W VVME kit from ebay. As far as I know there isn't a load balancer built in and I just plugged them in and off I went.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM
lowriderman3
Amateur

^^Okay cool! Thanks for that info. They had just said they would act crazy, but with most that do, you just use the load balancer and you are fine. Will give it a try!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Tperk

Hey pep, sorry i need help. I have a 2011 Ram 1500. The bulb type I got is H13, guy said it was good for high/low (non quad light system). I have the plugs connected for the high/low from the ballasts. The lows work perfect but when i go to highbeams, the lows shut off and no high beams (im in the dark) Switch back to low beams and bam they come on. Think this guy sold me the wrong kit? At first I thought i missed a connection but double checked. Any input would be great, thanks for your help.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 AM
formerkingoftheroad1999

Originally Posted by Tperk
Hey pep, sorry i need help. I have a 2011 Ram 1500. The bulb type I got is H13, guy said it was good for high/low (non quad light system). I have the plugs connected for the high/low from the ballasts. The lows work perfect but when i go to highbeams, the lows shut off and no high beams (im in the dark) Switch back to low beams and bam they come on. Think this guy sold me the wrong kit? At first I thought i missed a connection but double checked. Any input would be great, thanks for your help.
Exact same thing happens on my 1999.
Has anyone ever totally bypassed the stock lighting system? I believe that there is so much more to be said and understood about the relays involved. In other words, use the regular stock wiring for RDLs and low beams, but have 2 additional illuminated toggle switches for brights and fogs (I mean really bright fogs, each tipped slightly lateral to light up not only the ditches, but half of the field too.)

I've hit 3 deer in the past year and I think this could have been avoided. I'm developing a housing unit for the Stanley HID 3000 Spotlight that's water proof and each will emit 2500-3000 lumens that I can mount to my bull bar and not look stupid. I tossed the battery and switch in each since I will toggle it from inside. I know I have to be careful because it may look like sunrise to an oncomming car if I don't flip it off. Any suggestions?

Formerking

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Tperk

Originally Posted by formerkingoftheroad1999
Exact same thing happens on my 1999.
Has anyone ever totally bypassed the stock lighting system? I believe that there is so much more to be said and understood about the relays involved. In other words, use the regular stock wiring for RDLs and low beams, but have 2 additional illuminated toggle switches for brights and fogs (I mean really bright fogs, each tipped slightly lateral to light up not only the ditches, but half of the field too.)

I've hit 3 deer in the past year and I think this could have been avoided. I'm developing a housing unit for the Stanley HID 3000 Spotlight that's water proof and each will emit 2500-3000 lumens that I can mount to my bull bar and not look stupid. I tossed the battery and switch in each since I will toggle it from inside. I know I have to be careful because it may look like sunrise to an oncomming car if I don't flip it off. Any suggestions?

Formerking

hmmm, that sounds more complicated then i'd like to do myself. They are working fine cept the highbeam and i notice durning the daytime no flicker but when you activate a turn signal both lights go out. Sorry guys not the best pic, but i love em.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8309/imag0112ex.jpg

Last edited by Tperk; 01-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone with H.I.D.s