2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

anyone do scrap runs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
jhammond_82
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live 5 miles from a scrap yard. Scrap metal is $7/100lbs. Copper is $2.55/lb. 2 washers and 2 dryers are probably worth about 30 bucks or so. I scrap in mine all the time. Extra couple bucks, is an extra couple bucks. Idk anyone who doesn't like a little extra spending money....lol

Old 07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a garage full of steel pipe that my dad gets from his job. Cant wait to take it! Scrap runs are fun, and rewarding. I believe that steel is $290 around here.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
sprntpshr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
i was thinking about using my truck to haul scarap to the scrap yard, but dunno if its worth the money , i have 2 washers and 2 dryers that need to go. how much $ you think i could get ?

i also dont want to beat up my truck as its my DD .
Call them up and ask them for prices, if they are close by. Some yards have a paved or concrete drop off yard. I go to the cleaner yard around here with a paved yard. Just run them to the curb is the quick way if you gotta move them.
Around here 4 appliances like you have are considered "trash tin" at one yard = $2. The other yard in the city 35 miles away $10. I break down the white goods scrap and take out all motors, plastic, brass and wiring. I know, lots of work but it all adds up.
I follow scrap prices, most are currently lower right now than Febuary, March of this year. #1 Copper was $3.20 lb, now $2.85lb as an example. It changes day to day.

sprntpshr

Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done so many runs the metals center gave me an i.d. card.lol I've been doing steel and aluminum mostly. since I got this truck I have had at least three runs and all were about 100 bucks or so. Yes scrap runs are fun. As long as your somewhat smart about it.

Quick Reply: anyone do scrap runs?