2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Almost to the 1 year marker

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
utahjd1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost to the 1 year marker

I bought my truck at the end of September. I have put 22,000 Miles on it to date. Bought it at 133,000 miles now it has 155,000 miles. The only thing I have done to it is changed the fuel straps + changes the fuel pump because I broke the pump while changing the straps. Gave it a tranni flush / blew out tranni lines about 20,000 miles ago. tune up and oil changes. I'm thinking about doing another tranni flush because I'm trying to wait until this fall to change it out. The tranni is getting worn out it has it's good and bad days since I bought the truck. So I'm trying to baby it.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

What did you use to blow out the tranny lines, and how well did it work?? I am going to have to do this soon....

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
utahjd1
Rookie

I just used my air compressor. I unhooked the lines from my tranni and from the cooler and blew them out. They where plugged up took about 20 sec of 140psi of air before I heard a pop and crap came out of the lines. I was tempted to do the check valve delete but it was getting cold when I did the lines.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by utahjd1
I just used my air compressor. I unhooked the lines from my tranni and from the cooler and blew them out. They where plugged up took about 20 sec of 140psi of air before I heard a pop and crap came out of the lines. I was tempted to do the check valve delete but it was getting cold when I did the lines.
Thank you.

What are your thoughts on disconnecting both line from the trans, and blowing thru the entire system?? I am sure I have a nice accumulation of crap all the way thru it..........

Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
utahjd1
Rookie

I would do it in sections lines first then cooler. Trust me you don't want to be under the truck when all of that crap breaks free. 140psi +/- of tranni fluid, junk and air hitting you in the face would not be fun. Just make sure you don't blow that crap into your tranni.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by utahjd1
I would do it in sections lines first then cooler. Trust me you don't want to be under the truck when all of that crap breaks free. 140psi +/- of tranni fluid, junk and air hitting you in the face would not be fun. Just make sure you don't blow that crap into your tranni.
Indeed.

I had in mind using some hose, so that I can direct the discharge, and keep my handsome features *cough* out of the line of fire...... I have digested more than enough automotive fluids for one lifetime thankyouverymuch.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

I hear that you're not supposed to do transmission flushes, since everything that the filter caught can recirculate and kill your transmission quick. Just do a fluid and filter change.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
utahjd1
Rookie

That's what I did......I don't know why I keep on calling it a flush. I don't dare flush. I just change the filter and fluid clean the pan. Sorry about the confusion.

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
I hear that you're not supposed to do transmission flushes, since everything that the filter caught can recirculate and kill your transmission quick. Just do a fluid and filter change.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 AM
jhammond_82
Rookie

So, what about the transmission places that offer a "trans flush" package? Includes filter, new fluid, and a flush. Do they do it so that crap doesn't get pushed through the transmission? Or is that just as bad? My trans only has 6,000 miles on it, but It'd still be good info to have for future reference.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
The plan is to remove the transmission from the equation, by disconnecting BOTH lines at the trans, and then just flushing out the cooler circuit. No, I don't want all that crap going into my trans pan.

Quick Reply: Almost to the 1 year marker