2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My 5.9 is dead... :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:19 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My 5.9 is dead... :(

Well, I know most of you could careless, and I dont care wtf you think but I got some bad news today that my trucks probably dead. Caput. ****ed. Totalled. AKA going to Mopar heaven.

Im gonna need a new/rebuilt/used engine and yea no way thats happening. Thats 5 grand I dont have.

I dont know, I may buy the mechanics 2nd gen truck since hes goin thro a divorce and some ****(I feel sorry for him hes a great guy). Hes lifted it and has 33s-34s and has babied it. I guess Ill let yall know what happens with that.

Oh... Ill probably MIA from here for awhile till I get yet another truck I loved my 5.9

Old 08-07-2010, 12:22 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

What did you do to blow your motor...
At least you found another ram...
How much for you truck?
I could dump my 5.9 an tranny in it...

Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

Didnt blow the engine, its a long story thats tooo complicated for here...

The one is $5500. But we are going to have to fight our insurance to see what theyll do for mine.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Yeah, thats gotta suck...
Hope to see you in a better 2nd Gen, im not saying yours was bad...

Old 08-07-2010, 12:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow!!! That was sudden, didn't even know it was acting up on you. Gotta give us the specifics on what killed the engine.

Even though I only put 68k miles on my 5.9 before I traded it in, I have friends who still have 2nd Gens, one has a 5.9 with about 230,000 miles on it, on tranny #3, takes horsesh*t care of it and the engine is still as strong as day one. Got another buddy with a 318 (5.2) who just turned 300k miles on his not too long ago, a '94 I think it is...

Didn't think you could kill one, to be honest...

Old 08-07-2010, 02:14 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Didn't think you could kill one, to be honest...
They'll drown if you take them swimming in the deep end of the pool.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 08-07-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 AM
bigslick050
All Star

Dude you must tell us the tragedy! Maybe we can help you somehow. WHat happened? Didn't you just get that truck recently? And you said the tranny took a crap right after you bought it? Maybe you just got suckered in a bad one? 'Dammit Bobby....'

Old 08-07-2010, 03:56 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

click up there ^

Old 08-07-2010, 04:17 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

Originally Posted by bigslick050
Dude you must tell us the tragedy! Maybe we can help you somehow. WHat happened? Didn't you just get that truck recently? And you said the tranny took a crap right after you bought it? Maybe you just got suckered in a bad one? 'Dammit Bobby....'

Yea, I bought it back in February. Thought we got a great truck even with the "148XXX"(its in qoutes for a reason which I will explain later). We were wrong, very, very, very wrong. And yup, the tranny took a dump 2 hours after we bought it, luckily we broke down in Pueblo near one of the best Dodge dealers in the state. We spend around $2100 for a rebuilt tranny, then the day after that, the cluster went out. So we dropped another 200 for a used one which made it look like my truck only had 97XXX.... We got screwed over by the guy. Im never buying private again(besides the mechanics truck, I think. Thats not 100% yet.) because of this. Yea, dealers do charge more but atleast theres a law if buy a vehicle from a dealership and it takes a **** you can take it back and get your money back. Lemon law or somethin?

Anyways, after dropping another $1000 or 2 into it to make it better. We thought we got all the kinks out. We didnt want to put $3-4000 into it but it happens right? So, I think I may have mentioned this somewhere in a thread, but I got stuck 4 wheeling earlier this summer in June. I got stuck in somebody elses hole when I crossed the river. It was only ankle deep where I walked to, to about the middle of the river. My truck floated 2 feet to the left and got stuck in someones massive whole. And 13-14 hours later me and a gf of mine at the time got out after search and rescue got us out since the river rose about 2-3 feet after we got stuck(got stuck around 2 oclock when the river was pretty low. I WOULD NOT HAVE CROSSED IF IT WAS ANY HIGHER).

I havent had my truck since about mid June. Insurance has messed everything up since the beginning. It was sitting in a tow yard here for 2 weeks until the moved to Delta(totalled vehicle central, we have had a truck go there before ..) and we thought for sure they were gonna total it out. Nope. The inspector or whatever thought they could salvage cuz he thought the truck had 99XXX on it. But as I said, insurance has messed everything up since the beginning. They havent communicated to us. We have either heard through the dealer what the insurance company is doing or not paying or just anything. And soo many more things. Its soo frustrating. Even more frustrating not having and now losing a truck that meant quite a bit to me...

Anyways, after they have put a quite of bit of money into it, its going to need a new engine. Thats 5 grand for a rebuilt one. 3 thousand somethin for one that has over 130XXX!!! Thats not gonna happen, I honestly would like an engine with less than 100XXX since Ive had soo many problems with this past one. I mean I wish I could tell you all some other things, but, if insurance sees this, they could use against us so I cant really go into full detail.

Oh, and I found this out today when I went 5 hours from home, over 4/5 mountain passes to check on the truck. I dont know what Im missing and what Im not. Thats the jist of it. It also sucks because I just dropped about $600 on accessories thinkin I was getting it back. So it brings my total up to about $700-$800...

Also, the the qouted mileage may be wrong. I think the guy we bought the truck from ****ed with the miles and what not. And thats all I have to say about that. lol

Heres some pics. They are within the 1st hour of getting stuck and having hope we were gonna have help come get us shortly later. That didnt happen. We also had to get out that back window. Although later on I could get in on the drivers side but that was risky...

But I guess its a blessing right? 3rd times the charm? Cuz Im not proud at all for having 2 trucks and, well, totaling both of them in less than a year. Black Ice and a river. Damn you WATER!!!!

I have more on photobucket. I think look up avsman101?

Name:  IMAG0129.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0135.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0131.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0134.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  95.8 KB

Last image is a video and idk if its working..

Last edited by ColoradoRamLover; 08-07-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Left out info.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Here bud, sorry bout your ram
but i did find you some motors!

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Quick Reply: My 5.9 is dead... :(