2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bronco II Death *VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 AM
bardram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
With both people in the vehicles and no hooks attached to the rope then it shouldn't hurt anything if it does snap. As long as the rope is hooked up to a shackle that is on a solid mount or a solid tow hook then it would all be good.

By putting all that slack in the line, and then nailing the gas, besides snapping the line you could very easily rip off the tow hitch, or bumper, or whatever that line is hooked up to.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

****** straps are designed to stretch under shock loads, and then recoil. That is what makes them so effective at 'yanking' folks out of stucks. Granted, he put a LOT of slack on that strap, and it broke....... at least it wasn't a chain. THAT would have been a bit more exciting.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
bardram
Veteran

I'm just saying, theres a right way and a wrong way. I'm no angel, we have all done stupid stuff, but I just had to call it like I see it. I'm glad nobody got hurt, and he got the bronco out, but this shouldn't be endorsed as the safe thing to do. Maybe I'm just looking at things differently now that im in my 30's.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Yeah, not good to promote stuff like this. Someone can very easily get seriously hurt or killed pulling a truck out like that.
This is the way we always pull each other out, it is much safer than a strap, and 1000 times safer than a chain. I have had it break many times as the rope has been stretched and is showing wear, it just bounces off the back of the truck. Just have to be sure nobody is standing around outside the truck. I just bought 200' of 2" elastic rope from a local marina and that stuff is hardcore. I suppose you figure a chain would be safer

Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 PM
bardram
Veteran

With the way you are doing it, a chain would be much worse. My point is that you shouldn't be putting 10-15 feet of slack in a tow rope and the nail the gas. But you do what you want. But I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

That's Why it's an elastic rope (bunt rope) you have to give it a good run for it to do it's job. I hate seeing anyone using chains in the woods....and straps with steel hooks are even worse. We use this method all the time and nobody has been hurt and no trucks have been damaged from the bunt rope. If I were using a regular rope I would agree with you...same with a strap, not a good idea to get a large running start. If you pulled someone out with a piece of this rope you would understand. There is no shock like a strap or chain as this type of rope stretches and bounces back.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:40 PM
bardram
Veteran

I don't have any experience using "elastic" tow ropes, so maybe that's what is supposed to be done in certain situations, but it just doesn't look right to me.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I don't have any experience using "elastic" tow ropes, so maybe that's what is supposed to be done in certain situations, but it just doesn't look right to me.
Not everyone has, but in my opinion they are the safest way.
You think it looks wrong in the video....you should see the look on strangers faces when I come across them stuck in a mud hole in the woods, hook up the bunt rope, leave 10' of slack and then floor it! They figure it's gonna rip the whole front off the truck...nearly shat their pants then are surprised that it's actually very smooth....then they ask me if i want to sell them some Bunt rope. After using this I have thrown out all of my old straps.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM
bardram
Veteran
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^What a friggin idiot.

Quick Reply: Bronco II Death *VIDEO*