2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Valvoline Maxlife ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvoline Maxlife ATF?

Well it's time for me to change the tranny fluid in my truck. I've read that Valvoline Maxlife ATF isn't good for our trannys but I've also heard it both ways. My dad has been running it in his 98 ram for years with no problem. He actually called Valvoline to make sure it was compatable and they told him it will work in our trucks. But I want to hear from you guys first before I go out and buy some ATF.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine that if it has the same properties as ATF+4, it should work.

In theory.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:36 PM
army_greywolf
Professional

The only difference in the max life series of oils is they have slightly more detergents and anti-sheer/wear components in their fluids and oils, at least thats the best I can see from the website. I use max life in the truck's engine and it looked very clean when I did the intake fix a few years ago. Transmission likewise looked very good with the exception of the smoked torque converter...the fluid is probably all that saved the hard parts. Go with max life, the fluids all have to meet manufacturer certifications anyways, so there is no going wrong.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

unless it specifically says ATF+4 on the front of it, don't use it.

use this, you can buy a case from amazon with free shipping and no tax for around $66.
Valvoline VV346 ATF +4, Pack of Twelve 1 Quart Bottles : Amazon.com : Automotive Valvoline VV346 ATF +4, Pack of Twelve 1 Quart Bottles : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
unless it specifically says ATF+4 on the front of it, don't use it.

use this, you can buy a case from amazon with free shipping and no tax for around $66.
Valvoline VV346 ATF +4, Pack of Twelve 1 Quart Bottles : Amazon.com : Automotive

+1. Tranny rebuild is too expensive to risk imho.......Valvoline ARF+4 is what I use. And tax is depending on what state it ships from - such as coming form a warehouse in TX, I would still be taxed, bit not from out of state...) But still a good price!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
And tax is depending on what state it ships from - such as coming form a warehouse in TX, I would still be taxed, bit not from out of state...) But still a good price!
Think they're trying to change that, aren't they? Been too busy lately to keep up.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, they are. It was debated on the House Floor last week, but ran into snags. I think there is a Senate bill also, but as these are not the focus of my Legislative work, I did not pay too much attention to it. Similar measures failed last session (2011). I suspect the same fate - death by Committee.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:43 AM
guzman
Professional
Default Taxes

Originally Posted by Arde
Think they're trying to change that, aren't they? Been too busy lately to keep up.

Indeed Obamas tax and spend cronies are trying every way possible to take more of our money.

I think my local Advance Auto carries Valvoline ATF+4.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bill passed in the senate. I'm pretty sure.

If you think about, it's pretty unfair to brick and mortar stores that have to charge a tax. Online stores have the advantage because they don't.

But it's really really easy to set up a store online and sell across the country so they should just get over it.

I hope it does die in committee

Quick Reply: Valvoline Maxlife ATF?