2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2001 Ram 2500 / rattle??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
mxximus2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 2500 / rattle??????

First post here,so thanks in advance for any replies! I have a 2001 2500 4x4 gas Ram. I have been dealing with a rattling noise for some time now that only occurs every so often. It sounds like an external rattle that usually only occurs when Im excelerating or sometimes if im pulling my horse trailer. But doesnt do it every time.Ive looked and looked and looked,but cant seem to track it down. Hopefully someone here has experienced something similar. Again, thanks for any info !

Old 11-14-2010, 10:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Sure it isn't spark knock? Rattling under load sure sounds like it......

Check heat shields on the cat, and by the engine mounts. Not sure if there are others as well. Make sure the exhaust isn't in contact with anything other than its mounts as well. Check trans mount, make sure it isn't broke.

Welcome to DF.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
mxximus2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger That ! Will check all,thanks for the tips!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As often happens, my first thought was HeyYou's also: pinging/detonation.

Try doing the plenum gasket test outlined in the TSB. If the result indicates that the gasket is not failed, you might have carbon built up in the combustion chambers that can usually be corrected with a SeaFoam treatment. Another way to detect carbon build-up: run your current tank of fuel to as low as you can comfortably go, then fill up with Premium. If the rattling goes away, do the SeaFoam treatment.

A vacuum leak can also cause detonation, but they can be a PITA to hunt down. If your heat/AC vent door flaps (diverts air to the defrost vents) when the engine is under load, you might have a vacuum leak. OTOH, you might just have one or more failed vacuum check valves... proceed with caution if you pursue the vacuum leak theory.

If you've got a tuner (or "chip"... SCT, Superchips, Hypertech, JET, et al.) set to a more aggressive tune, try backing it off to a less aggressive tune as excessive spark advance can cause pinging. If this is the case, go to a spark plug that's one heat range colder than what's in there now and return to the tune you like.

It wouldn't hurt to remove a handful of spark plugs (I like to check #1, #5, #7, and #8) and read them. You can find illustrated spark plug reading guides with a web search -- see if those plugs will tell you what's going on. (If you're running lean, #1 or #2 will show it first; #5 and #7 are the two most likely to inductively cross-fire and are also the two that will show a failed PCV valve; #8 is affected by catalytic converter problems first.)

Good luck with it, and welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 2500 / rattle??????