2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Frame mounted side steps

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832411

Check out this link. Dude builds them and appear to be very stought. I'm not a fan of running boards but these look the best.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,360 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by KY BIGRAM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832411

Check out this link. Dude builds them and appear to be very stought. I'm not a fan of running boards but these look the best.
Those don't mount to the frame though, just to the body mount bolts.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

But the body mount is connected to the frame. I can't imagine needing something that is going to run all the way to the frame. Seems to me it would be weaker than using this style as they are well braced. I would consider this a better option than that type that clamped around the frame. The bracing would have to be comparible to the ones from the factory. Dude says Oil Field Proof, maybe he could run them to the frame if someone wanted. I don't see an off-the-shelf company doing anything that would compete, gonna have to be custom.

Last edited by KY BIGRAM; 11-16-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to have just a single step but those would be ok. As for how they mount that would be ok to the only thing I don't want is a set that mount to the rocker.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

My major malfunction with just mounting to the body bolts, is that method is a single point mounting, with zero bracing for side loads. (which is what you are going to be applying when you step on it.) A mount that wraps the frame is going to be more rigid, and less likely to deflect if you happen to rub the thing on rocks/other hard objects. (one of the reasons they call them 'nerf bars'..... )

Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My major malfunction with just mounting to the body bolts, is that method is a single point mounting, with zero bracing for side loads. (which is what you are going to be applying when you step on it.) A mount that wraps the frame is going to be more rigid, and less likely to deflect if you happen to rub the thing on rocks/other hard objects. (one of the reasons they call them 'nerf bars'..... )
I sent the guy a pm and asked if he could make a set of single steps that mount to the frame.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM
TheBigRedOne

consider constructing some type of break joint on these things. That way if you ever hook them on something it will break away.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
consider constructing some type of break joint on these things. That way if you ever hook them on something it will break away.
In the pic of the second gen version, that wraps the frame, the bolts didn't look all that substantial..... might be adequate to the task, or, might not....

Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

I don't think it would be a big deal I usually don't take my truck trail running

Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In the pic of the second gen version, that wraps the frame, the bolts didn't look all that substantial..... might be adequate to the task, or, might not....
I didn't like the looks of that either. i don't think the frame would hold up to a bolt-on with the leverage of say 200lbs would put on it.

It's gonna have to be some type of gusseted plate that also sandwiches to another flat plate on the inside of the frame. The frames are hollow which sucks.

Quick Reply: Frame mounted side steps