2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So, as far as cars go... what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, as far as cars go... what do you recommend?

Ok,

So I'm about to start my last Semester of High School, and I already know, when I go to college Next fall, I won't be able to use my truck as a Daily Driver, like I'm doing now. I lost my job (Dealer I detailed cars at shutdown) But between working with my uncle (how I afforded my truck in the first place) and the time I had working with the Dealer, I have saved up about $3,000 since I bought my truck.

Now, without a job, I'm struggling to pay for gas, and Insurance (which is outrageous on this thing for a 17 y/o). I've been Hauling loads of Scrap, and cutting and selling Firewood, so I use my truck to make what money I can, so I can't really sell it, and my Uncle I worked with passed away.

So I'm thinking, would it be better to just use the $3,000 to buy pos car and Keep the truck because I do haul things a lot in it, or just sell the truck and use the money I get from it, plus what I already have to get a fairly nice and reliable car for when I go to college.

If I do decide to get a car, or small SUV (I really need a 4x4 for where I live), what do you recommend? I've been looking at the 2002 or newer Explorers or Stratus R/T's (chick cars I know, but I've always kind of liked them), but that's only if I sell my truck first.

I really don't want to sell my truck, since It's what I've wanted since I was like 8 lol, but I really didn't know what I was getting into when I bought it when I was only 15. Don't get me wrong, it's a great truck, only has 103,000 Miles, and I haven't had to replace hardly anything on it since I bought it in April of 09.

So what vehicles would you recommend for under $3,000 that I could use as a DD?

Sorry for writing a Novel. lol

Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Salex007
Captain

i bought a motorcycle, saves so much money in the summer and spring here in iowa, then later on bought a $600 cheap 1988 civic

Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

Originally Posted by Salex007
i bought a motorcycle, saves so much money in the summer and spring here in iowa, then later on bought a $600 cheap 1988 civic

I'm in Mo, If I bought a Motorcycle, I would only be able to ride it for like 3 months out of the year, and even then it would be off and on. lmao

Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you thought about picking up a used motorcycle? I think if driven responsibly and in the right conditions with the right training etc.. it could be an alternative. maybe a nice smaller cc bike that is a couple years old or older so you could buy for 1500 drive it for a number of years and still sell it for 1500. also where I live a paid of motorcycle requires no insurance. you could keep the truck to use for bad weather, making money etc. all while keeping the miles down and saving on fuel.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM
seabass202
Veteran

sorry, was typing while those posts showed up.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Find a cheap car, dare I say foriegn.....less than 1k or close to it then if something happens to it you have leftover money

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Yup, can't go wrong with a 4 banger'. Definitely foreign.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister had a 4 cylinder I could burn the tires off it through 3rd gear. Then it got put run over a hill into a ditch.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My step dad had an '01 Hyundai Accent, little 2 door, manual tranny, 4 banger. When he passed away in '08 my mom asked me if I wanted it or if not, to try to sell it for her. I had that thing up for sale for a good 6 months. Drove it a good bit while I was trying to move it.
For seven years old, it was mint, only had 43k miles on it and got me a solid 32 mpg, around 38 on the interstate. Good pep too, thanks to the manual tranny. I contemplated giving my mom KBB for it, but refused to give up my daily driver which is my Grand Cherokee and no way did I need three vehicles.
Problem was, it stickered for only $7995 new, and he got it for about $7300. Depreciation over seven years had KBB FULL RETAIL at only $2800 even with the super low mileage.
I finally ended up getting $2500 for it from an in-home nurse who was logging about 150 miles a day on her V8 Buick and I had to teach her to drive a stick at that!

Seems to me you can find a little 4 banger in good shape for around what you got to spend and be able to keep your truck...

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM
bardram
Veteran

I agree with all these guys. Cant go wrong with a Civic or Corolla, maybe even a Sentra. Get a 5 speed. They are all front wheel drive, which will be fine in the snow.

Quick Reply: So, as far as cars go... what do you recommend?