2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Yup.... here we go again. (Transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dude. I fiqured that I better have a trans place, adjust the TV cable.

You think the tranny is junk/something is f***ed up inside? or just something as listed above is wrong with it?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Probably something fairly simple yet at this point. The fact that it shifted fairly well without the TV cable suggests that it isn't yet too far gone.

Try the test, see what happens. If it is still misbehaving...... start collecting parts for your trans rebuild...... I have a nice list if ya need it.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Update:
Replaced Governor Pressure Solenoid - TV Cable - TPS and it did not fix the problem. Truck still won't get out of first without me taking my foot off the gas. Talked to 4 shops, the 3 mechanics at work... even brought it to the local tranny guy and left the truck by him for almost a week. Nobody knows whats wrong. Tranny guy says the cable is adjusted right... he didn't charge me anything.

What next??? Suggestions?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you reset the PCM and then driven for more than ten minutes during which the transmission temperature (in the pan) got over 50F? If not, try that. (The transmission guy should have, but who knows?) After ten minutes, spend a little while just idling around to keep output shaft speeds low. This should cause the PCM to calibrate for the new governor pressure sensor. Might do the trick... probably won't, but it's worth a shot.

Edited to add: If that doesn't do the trick, my best guess is that you managed to get a bit of metal caught in the valve body, hanging up a valve. I'd guess in the direction of regulator valve or 1-2 valve. Did your transmission guy do pressure testing?

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 03-14-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Resetting the PCM... what do you mean? By disconnecting the battery cable (positive if I remember correctly?)??? If so no, I didn't. If that is not what you mean mind explaining it to me? to be prefectly honest that never occured to me.

I didn't replace the sensor, just the solenoid. He said he pressure checked it and took it for a ride, and had a scanner on it. He thought sensor and solenoid. I should clarify he said.. solenoid, then after I put the solenoid in he said sensor.

Thanks man.

:Edit: Valve body looked clean. The solenoid itself wasn't the worst... not alot... hardly any gunk in the little screen. Tranny's only been in for 21k miles and this is its 3rd fluid and filter change. Just would find it hard to believe there could be any buildup with the pan being dropped and new fluid put in it now twice in the last 7k miles.

Last edited by LegendKiller89; 03-14-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Does the Governor Pressure Solenoid have much correlation to the PCM or is it the Governor Pressure Sensor that relates to the PCM??

Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Pressure sensor tells the PCM what it thinks the current pressure is, and the PCM then modulates the pressure solenoid to get the pressure where it wants it.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by LegendKiller89
Does the Governor Pressure Solenoid have much correlation to the PCM or is it the Governor Pressure Sensor that relates to the PCM??
Both are part of essentially two control loops, one electronic and one hydraulic. On the electronic side, the PCM senses line pressure via the sensor and regulates that pressure (more accurately trims it) via the solenoid. The PCM calibrates itself ("relearns") whenever it sees low output shaft RPM (<200RPM) if the temperature sensor indicates that the fluid is above 50F, or after ten minutes in the absence of speed sense. Whenever you change parts in there, you should reset the PCM just as you would if you changed something in the emissions/engine control systems, and for the same reason: to force a learning curve to start.

So the solenoid went in after the trans guy tested it, then he changed the story to sensor? And it hasn't been pressure tested since? (For future reference: it's more fool-proof to always change those critters out as a pair. There's not really a big technical reason to do it, but because they interact by way of the PCM on the electronic side and the regulator valve on the hydraulic side it's difficult to know which of the two is at fault for any given pressure test hiccup.)

Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Ok... so should I disconnect the battery... wait hook it back up then take the truck for a spin, if nothing changes replace the sensor, and do the same thing???

I had no clue what the problem was, so I brought it to the tranny guy. He checked it and said replace the solenoid/transducer. I've never seen anyone say anything about replacing both the sensor and solenoid at the same time. My Brother is a sales rep for the local parts store and when he was in the tranny shop on Friday doing his normal route/business. The dude asked my brother if I fixed my truck... my brother told them I replaced the solenoid and he said well he should've replaced the sensor while he was in there. Again never heard anyone say doing them at the same time.

No the truck has not gone back to get pressure tested again.

Edit: Seeings how I finally found a couple dudes on this site who want to give me a hand. I did get ahold of the tranny guy, he said my sensor pressure readings were low... said it should be around 30ish and I was around 23-23-24 not bad but a little off were his exact words.

Last edited by LegendKiller89; 03-14-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Ok... so should I disconnect the battery... wait hook it back up then take the truck for a spin, if nothing changes replace the sensor, and do the same thing???
Yep. It probably won't work, but you might get lucky. Weirder things have happened.

I did get ahold of the tranny guy, he said my sensor pressure readings were low... said it should be around 30ish and I was around 23-23-24 not bad but a little off were his exact words.
Yep, that'll cause what you're describing, assuming it's at the governor pressure port that he got those numbers. When you run the thing up to 30MPH you expect to see around 33PSI (3PSI static plus 1PSI for every MPH) on that port -- so 23 is really very low.

Quick Reply: Yup.... here we go again. (Transmission)