2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Make your own Train Horns

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make your own Train Horns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEPauEupXRc watch a couple of his other vids seems legit and figured purple could put em on his mower, Thoughts? http://cgi.ebay.com/Train-Locomotive...item1e6264695f

Last edited by DukesOfHazzard; 03-21-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Purple One's Cadet won't support compressor enough to sound those horns for more than a few seconds. But it'd be cool as 7734 while it lasted.

The rub with pneumatic horns exposed to the weather is that the diaphragms will fill with water in the sort of weather they see when you need them most, and will just squeak for the first several seconds. If you can find a protected mounting location, big pneumatic horns just absolutely freakin' wrawk -- if not, you're better off with something smaller but more sure to work as soon as you mash the horn button.

I'm a big fan of loud-4$$ horns but it's tricky to mount them properly in modern vehicles. That's why I went with the Compact Nautilus that has already loosened the urethral sphincter of at least one careless driver.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 AM
WhtDually95

Well I just ordered the booklet. I am thinking of mounting them under the hood to protect them. I will loose some DB's but I think I will still get my point across. I figure the next time someone pull's out in front of me wile I am hauling the horse trailer a blast or to will make them think twice about it the next time. Of course the horse's probably wont be to happy... LOL

Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

Ok im a sucker! i hope not if so , I"VE SPENT 15 BUCKS ON WORSE

Last edited by DukesOfHazzard; 03-21-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WhtDually95
I figure the next time someone pull's out in front of me wile I am hauling the horse trailer a blast or to will make them think twice about it the next time.
A good loud horn usually gets 'em thinking real quick about getting out of the way this time. On the down side, some drivers are angered by extremely loud horns and become aggressive, so it's advisable to maintain wide separation after using the horn on someone. Also worth keeping in mind is that extreme horns are iffy near railroad tracks because other drivers sometimes react as if there's an invisible train barreling down the tracks. I found that out the hard way.

It's a good idea to put a switch under the hood that will allow you to disable the horns while the truck's being worked on, and always disable them before handing the keys to a valet or wrench monkey. You don't want your hearing damaged or to get sued by someone else whose hearing is damaged by your horns. Even if you're not found liable you'll incur expenses and bother that are best avoided.

Please post pictures of your setup when you're done!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

watch a couple of his other vids seems legit and figured purple could put em on his mower, Thoughts?
I think the bigger problem is where to put them. It sure would keep the Deeres away.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

I've been thinking about getting some Train horns from Hornblasters, but I can't decide where I would want to put the compressor and tank.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

on my 91 i use to use the a/c compressor as an air compressor to blow dust out of stuff before i got my big compressor. i have thought about installing air horns and just use the a/c compressor. its not like my truck was setup to have a/c anyway and the pump came with the engine. if i blow it up i know what not to do with an a/c compressor next time i have one. it would be cool to build your own air horns. i know the basics of how an air horn works. you can make a small air horn with a straw and a small water balloon but his looks a lot more interesting.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

My truck doesn't have A/C, so I couldn't do that if I wanted.
I didn't think it would be too bad when I bought the truck, I was wrong, it was miserable last summer, even with both windows down doing 65-70mph

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Mike
My truck doesn't have A/C, so I couldn't do that if I wanted.
I didn't think it would be too bad when I bought the truck, I was wrong, it was miserable last summer, even with both windows down doing 65-70mph
That would make the air compressor swap even eaiser. Just get a compressor, bracket, and belt from a junk truck.

Quick Reply: Make your own Train Horns