2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Know Your Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Know Your Parts

Here's a helpful post from someone on another forum regarding aftermarket repair parts:

Originally Posted by sselander
About brake rotors:

I recently installed Wagner rotors on my Mazda Protege as closeouts from RockAuto.
I know there are no US rotor factories anymore.
I went with one of the older, respected names for brakes.

It turns out they were outsourced and made by a company called Fremax in Brazil.
A quick google search shows they are well respected and are high carbon rotors (a good thing), I would buy them again.

The rotors were heavy, and of high quality.

In my research, I came across an interesting website to help you get decent stuff.
Considering the low cost Chinese stuff these days, it is useful

AASA has launched a web site that is pretty good.
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/KnowYourParts

snoop around, there is some good info there.
Some of the failure pictures are an eye opener

"The Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA) “Know Your Parts” campaign is an initiative of the association and the AASA Marketing Executives Council (MEC). The association has undertaken the “Know Your Parts” awareness and educational campaign in the firm belief that it is not important where a product is made but rather who stands behind it."

"The AASA “Know Your Parts” campaign was initiated from the concern over the low-cost, off shore, generic auto parts that are flooding the aftermarket at every level of the distribution channel. These low cost, low quality parts may not meet safe operation standards and pose a potential danger to both the technician installing them and the consumer driving the car on which they are installed. And the entire aftermarket could suffer from the resulting loss of public confidence in our parts and services."

What’s in a Name: Generic versus Brand Name Auto Parts

The Parts in Your Car Make a Difference
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...DF/MontAd1.pdf

The Parts in Your Car Make a Difference – Part 2
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...DF/MontAd2.pdf

AASA “Know Your Parts” Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...F/KYP-FAQs.pdf

The pics here are interesting
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...-Parts-Exhibit

Join AASA on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Automo...27822377288340
Join AASA on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/AASA_MEMA

Old 05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Links dont work, except the last one.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Well crap. I know the first one works, which should be enough for people to go by.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the list of manufactuers who have banded together to supposedly stop the spread of "inferior" imported parts and noticed a bunch of big names in the industry are missing. In fact most of the big players weren't there!
Reason....most all if not all of thier parts are outsourced...why? Cheap labor, high profit margin, and decent quality. Not high quality, but "good enough."

The aftermarket is truly it's own worst enemy. And even the companies who've thrown thier financial weight behind this glorious and no doubt last ditch noble effort to "buy American" have violated the rules themselves as far as reboxing "low end" parts from other countries.

BUT...

The worst violators though are us...we've enabled the "discount parts retailers" to provide us with outsourced crap based on "low price guarantees" and "lifetime warranties". Don't worry if it breaks or wears , we'll replace it! Even if you can't tell a 9/16 wrench from a screwdriver and f*** up the install no problem! Minus of course incidental damages, other damages and claims, etc.
And we the stupid, bought it...lock, stock, and four barrel. SO why not put cheap parts on ones car when and if they wear out or break you get new ones, which brings you into the parts store to usually purchase other higher if not huge profit items like chemicals and such. And it works. Remember, you're in the zone baby!

SO while I applaud the efforts of the remaining survivors, I think they're a bit late. Like about 15 years or so.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

A lot of that is because a fair few of the 'shade tree mechanics' just want it to work (and even a fair few shops......). Nevermind if it is going to work tomorrow or not... so, they go to the parts store, and buy the cheapest replacement part they can find. So, they get to change it a couple times before they get one that works..... or, you get a case like cranks sensors on our trucks, where it doesn't matter the name on the box, if it ain't from the dealer, it ain't gonna work out so well..... And with the economy being in the toilet..... that is even more the case today.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by dsertdog56

The worst violators though are us...we've enabled the "discount parts retailers" to provide us with outsourced crap based on "low price guarantees" and "lifetime warranties". Don't worry if it breaks or wears , we'll replace it! Even if you can't tell a 9/16 wrench from a screwdriver and f*** up the install no problem! Minus of course incidental damages, other damages and claims, etc.
And we the stupid, bought it...lock, stock, and four barrel. SO why not put cheap parts on ones car when and if they wear out or break you get new ones, which brings you into the parts store to usually purchase other higher if not huge profit items like chemicals and such. And it works. Remember, you're in the zone baby!

SO while I applaud the efforts of the remaining survivors, I think they're a bit late. Like about 15 years or so.
The above is why I bitch at people for recommended to Noobs, "Buy Harbor Freight tools. If it breaks, so what. Just buy another."

I want my tools to last and not break in the middle of a job. I'll take quality over price every time.

Quick Reply: Know Your Parts