2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Strange Revving in Neutral/Park?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 AM
canela
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Are you going by what the overhead is telling you?
On a partial tank, yes. I do the math when I fill up.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, just wondering. The overhead is not very accurate at all.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
canela

Well, the dealer said they'll take a look at it for free, then charge me $100 deductible on my warranty for a fuel service. They must think because I'm a woman, I'm an idiot

Guess it's time to crack out the ol' multimeter and a can of throttle body cleaner and check out the throttle plate, TPS sensor and plenum gasket. I am annoyed. I don't even have this truck registered in my name yet and I'm already having to wrench on it for non-modding reasons.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,371 Likes on 3,112 Posts

If you have a look, and find problems, I would have a chat with the dealership you bought it from, ESPECIALLY if you have sensor/plenum issues.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canela
Well, the dealer said they'll take a look at it for free, then charge me $100 deductible on my warranty for a fuel service. They must think because I'm a woman, I'm an idiot

Guess it's time to crack out the ol' multimeter and a can of throttle body cleaner and check out the throttle plate, TPS sensor and plenum gasket. I am annoyed. I don't even have this truck registered in my name yet and I'm already having to wrench on it for non-modding reasons.
Ahh, the wonder of Dodgeforum. Great huh?

Mine isn't registered to me and I wrench on it....hell...wasn't even paid off and I had to put new brakes on the rear.....

Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
canela

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Ahh, the wonder of Dodgeforum. Great huh?

Mine isn't registered to me and I wrench on it....hell...wasn't even paid off and I had to put new brakes on the rear.....
Nice! LOL... The crazy thing is, this particular dealer (at least in the service department) should know I'm not an idiot to that degree - I'm on a first name basis with most of the parts guys thanks to my Focus. However, they DON'T know I was a heavy duty diesel mechanic for a trucking company for a while (which it's been ages since I seriously dabbled in gasoline engines - since I had my '98 Dakota)...but you'd think when I walk in quoting torque curves and horsepower ratings and commonly failed parts on not only the truck I'm buying, but the Ford Powerstroke trucks they wanted to sell me...one would assume I'm not the typical customer.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM
canela

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you have a look, and find problems, I would have a chat with the dealership you bought it from, ESPECIALLY if you have sensor/plenum issues.
I plan to. Especially since my finance company required an EXTENSIVE mechanical inspection because the truck has a 36m/36k mile extended warranty on it auto bundled into the financing (required). I'm sure they'd love to hear about this....

Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Was that warranty offered by the finance company, or was it thru the dealership? If it was the finance company, there is no guarantee the dealership will accept it.... so, you may have to pay out of pocket, and then try and get reimbursed from the warranty company. (sorry, but, if it was thru the finance company, and a requirement by them..... I have real doubts as to its usefulness......)

Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM
canela

It's through the finance company, but the dealer is required to accept it as terms for participating in the lovely "fix your credit" program I'm under (which is the only reason why I financed an eleven year old vehicle). I have a list of dealerships that accept it - $100 deductible, then bumper to bumper coverage minus standard wear and tear items (spark plugs, filters, etc). So pretty much I pay for the first hour of labor.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Interesting. I suppose it IS in the finance companies best interests to keep the vehicle you are financing up and running. Some repairs can get rather expensive, and if you can't afford to fix it, you also are not real motivated to pay for it.....

If it is a TRUE Bumper to Bumper warranty....... that also covers squeaks, rattles, and cracking dashboards. Something to keep in mind for the future.

The trick with the warranties with deductibles is, don't just bring it in for ONE issue. Have a laundry list. Go over the truck with a fine-toothed comb, and get everything they will cover fixed, all at once. That way, you only pay the deductible once.

Quick Reply: Strange Revving in Neutral/Park?