2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

shipping off, hooyah!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 AM
tneville
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shipping off, hooyah!

I just want to say thank you all for the information in this forum. You guys have taught me more about trucks then anywhere else. I joined the Navy and ship off in august. My buddy is going to buy my truck and in a few months ill get a 3rd gen. Ill still be in and out of the forum as much as i can though.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good luck.
anchors away, or whatever they say in the navy.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
good luck.
anchors away, or whatever they say in the navy.
Fair winds and following seas.

Congrats, kid. It was 24 years ago, August 4, 1987, when I entered Navy boot camp at Great Lakes Naval Training Center. Make the most of the experience and stay away from the negative idiots.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

The military is a great place to get some real life experience, and of the branches, I think the Navy gives you the most. (unless you are on a submarine........)

Good Luck!

Just remember, basic training is one big mind game. Realize that, play by their rules, and you will do just fine.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The military is a great place to get some real life experience, and of the branches, I think the Navy gives you the most. (unless you are on a submarine........)

Good Luck!

Just remember, basic training is one big mind game. Realize that, play by their rules, and you will do just fine.
It depends. If anyone asked my advice about enlisting my recommendation would be as follows:

1) Air Force if you want an education. The AF encourages enlisted to pursue at least a Bachelors.
2) Navy if you want to travel.
3) Marine Corps if you're physically fit and can deal with a cohesive environment that pushes teamwork.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and good luck! Marine Corps here. I knew a lot of guys in the Navy, good bunch if you ask me.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Annihilator_X9
Congrats and good luck! Marine Corps here. I knew a lot of guys in the Navy, good bunch if you ask me.
The three months I spent TAD at MCSSC Quantico was the most fun of my seven years in the Navy. I now wish I'd attended the Ball even though those bastards got me snot flinging, head smashing, commode hugging DRUNK at the party the day before -- and NONE OF THEM would let me buy a round of beers!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Good choice going Navy. You don't have to worry about getting shot at in the land of sand and sun unless you're going to go for EOD.

My dad was telling me about how he used to have such a hard time in the Navy. They would pull up to shore and boot the marines off the ship so they could do their training while he sat on the ship eating ice cream. Those were tough times.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

something that was said to me more than twenty years ago when I was in your shoes, I will share (and you will consider the irony of it in twenty years when you're giving someone advice, and they are about to leave)..

Make the best of your time. Do what you need to do to excel.. build a work ethic that will follow you the rest of your life- THAT, imHo, is the advantage of the military, and having a military background.. The ethic you learn will carry with you (if you're smart enough to let it)- and it's easy to learn there because they make you.. guys on the outside often times struggle with this, and those that don't were raised in a advantageous way.. If you have both, and you work hard, you will do well in life.

one more thing, told to me by one of the best men I ever had the honor of knowing- GySGT Jeffery Bohr of Iowa, who died in the initial siege of Baghdad in 2003.. he said:

"all these effin sh!+ birds are always saying 'when I get out i'll do this', or 'when i get out i'll be that', but what they don't realize is that they will be the same sh1+ birds who say 'when i find another job i'll be this' or 'when i find another job i'll be that' on the outside.. You are what you are what you are no matter what job you find yourself in, and if you're a good floor mopper, you'll show that you have aptitude to be a good leader of men.."

you'll do a LOT of menial jobs while your in- whether it is 2 or twenty or even thirty years.. it's how you approach them.. do your floggin' best at everything you're told to do, and do it with pride that you're not afraid to point out to others the quality of your work no matter what that work is.. if you simply 'make the best' out of it, you will do well in the military.. and you will learn habits that will serve you extremely well the rest of your life..

Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Two of my favorite people in the Navy, who I never met, were "Joe Shi-t The Rag Man" and "Seaman Schmuckatelly".

Quick Reply: shipping off, hooyah!