2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dodge Ram Lift.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM
MDrumm03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram Lift.

Hey everyone, I've got a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500.. I want to get a nice lift on it but really haven't had the money to do so. I worked for my dad and at McDonald's over summers to get a lift and all i've managed to get is a 3in body lift and a 2in leveling kit. I want more though (staying in the legal limits for PA), but i had a friend who put the same lift on as me and then put a 4in suspension lift on as well and he had problems with his 4wd and such. I'm in college right now but im really eager to try and get more lift on my truck asap and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts of what I should do...? I'm obviously looking for the cheapest way to do this, while not damaging my tuck. I wanna show all these kids who have their mommys and daddys buy them lifted trucks what a real truck is.

Thanks a lot

Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

buy a 3" lift kit. thats pry your next cheapest move. what about tires and gears?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Save you pennies, and buy a GOOD lift kit, in the range you want. You can't go much past 3" TOTAL suspension lift before you start running into suspension geometry issues.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:46 PM
MDrumm03

You must mean buy a 3in suspension lift kit? Because I have the 3in body and 2in leveling.. tires I have 315x75x16's and gears im not to sure.. whatever it comes with stock, I haven't changed them.

Yea I was told after around 2-3 in of suspension lift you gotta start replacing stock parts with longer parts because a lot of stuff wont reach anymore.. but im looking to get around 4-5 more inches of lift suspension wise.. so I have a total of 9 or 10.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Then you are going to have to spend serious money and get a "real" lift kit, complete with control arms, and relocation brackets.

something to consider though, 35" tires are the max recommended for the axles you have under your truck. 5" of total lift will clear those nicely. You probably still have the 3.55 gears in there.... (unless you have an Offroad Edition truck?) going much larger is going to flat out kill your bottom end power, and your trans will hate you. (which tends to prompt it to stop working.....)

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Lift.