2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

sentimental bastard

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
SilverSS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

305 is a good engine. I had 287,000 miles on it and the original tranny (2004R) in my 86 Monte Carlo SS when I pulled them out to put in the big block. Bought the car from my parents with 142,000 miles when I was 17 and beat the **** out of the poor thing and it just took it. Your truck probably has a 700R4 which I personally don't like but if you take good care of it it should last a while. I wouldn't get rid of the Dodge if I were you though; I would just add the Z71

Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by lastrights
Pics of both your dodge and Chevy ?
All I have is a work issued blackberry at home. Main reason I don't post a lot. If there's a way to take a pic and post it on here easily with a bb, I'd be glad to. Don't have a pic of the Z71. Its stock, reg cab, black, alum wheels. Looks new, as does the ram. Ram is light maroon, metal flake, gray on bottom. Ya seen a million rams like it....and ya seen 8 million like the chevy lol.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a '93 silverado, handed it over to dad with 240k miles on it, he drove it to 335k before cash for clunkers came to be.. two water pumps, radiator, transmission, alternator, few nuts and bolts here and there, but nothing else was wrong with it..

Looked like hell, drove fine in the end.. Chevy started making suvs that looked like pick ups in 2000 or so, and went to crap.. I had a 2003 work truck v6 that was crap.. horrible vehicle, and changed my opinion of gm forever..

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverSS
305 is a good engine. I had 287,000 miles on it and the original tranny (2004R) in my 86 Monte Carlo SS when I pulled them out to put in the big block. Bought the car from my parents with 142,000 miles when I was 17 and beat the **** out of the poor thing and it just took it. Your truck probably has a 700R4 which I personally don't like but if you take good care of it it should last a while. I wouldn't get rid of the Dodge if I were you though; I would just add the Z71
Yeah, ran that by the wife, apparently she's under the impression that I can only drive one vehicle at a time. Honestly, I don't want to maintain 2 trucks, the wifes car, the lawnmower, and the house. I have done it before, but it gets to be too much like work. Rather sell one and put whatever money I get on the house...and maybe a mild exhaust, new wheels maybe.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by drewactual
47 dodge... 58 Chevy w/dbl lights... 67 Ford... Power wagon w/440 like in that show riptide... Helz yeah..
I thought the power wagon was in simon and simon. But yeah it was cool. I still like the looks of the 2nd gen ram. Always have. Main reason I got it really.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 PM
gdstock
Legend

I have 3 project cars, two daily drivers, and an RV. Fortuneately, my wife doesn't mind. In fact, the latest acquisition, the Ram, was her idea (how lucky was THAT?).

Yeah, and the riding lawnmower, the house, etc. But kids are through school and grown and my other hobby is spoiing grandkids - they just live too far away to do that all the time, hence the RV.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 AM
SilverSS
Captain

I know what ya mean. It seems like they all break at once too lol. I've got the mower, trimmer, pressure washer, motorcycle, Monte, blazer, Dodge, and a 95 trans am I'm fixing up. Plus her car. Woman keeps complaining and it slows me down a little but not much lol. I did sell my v8 s10 and kx500 to make her happy. If you got 2 trucks they'd last twice as long and need 1/2 the maintenance. Lol. It's nice though to have a back up especially if you want to do something that takes days to do.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 AM
joekool4
Professional

If I was in the same position, I would sell the chevy and rebuild the Dodge. Unless there are sentimental reason for keeping the chevy too. My grandfather had an 89 jeep comanchee pickup, I learned to drive in. he got rid of it when the timing chain snapped and he bent a few valves. I told him when it happened he should just keep the jeep and i would pay to fix it if i could have it. he junked it for 500 bucks and bought a brand new ranger for 13k. at this point i would sell the ranger in a heartbeat to fix my ram (its my first vehicle) I've already sold project bikes to keep it goin. but unless you can afford to keep both, with all those memories i think the ram would be worth a little more to you.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 AM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by jswain
I thought the power wagon was in simon and simon. But yeah it was cool. I still like the looks of the 2nd gen ram. Always have. Main reason I got it really.
you is right, I is wrong.. it was simon and simon.. riptide had the bronco sans the cab cover..

Old 10-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Z71 IFS 4x4 systems are a nightmare. Complete junk. I was pulling out my buds 86 Power Ram with a 99 3/4 ton v10 one night, another friend in his 96 ish z71 came to help, i ended up dragging him out too, since he blew his T-case.

Quick Reply: sentimental bastard