2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

sentimental bastard

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 PM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sentimental bastard

Well, I've owned my 1998 4 X 4, 360, auto since day one. I bought it new. I dated 3 ladies in it, married one. One of them that left, I still think about her occasionally. I drove it to the hospital when my first son was born. I replaced the radiator once, the plenum once, the starter once, a few sensors, the cat once, and the transmission once at 130k and once at 168k. It has 170k now. It still runs well, it still looks new. I believe it to be one of the best looking trucks ever made. I have come to the conclusion that several things are true about these trucks. The torque is great. They are fairly easy to work on.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jswain
I believe it to be one of the best looking trucks ever made.
Is it a beautiful truck? YES, but one of the best looking trucks ever made? Far from it. It's at the bottom of a long list.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM
jswain
Veteran
Default sentimental old bastard

Well, I've owned my 1998 4 X 4, 360, auto since day one. I bought it new. I dated 3 ladies in it, married one. One of them that left, I still think about her occasionally. I drove it to the hospital when my first son was born. He's older now, and he and my daughter still prefer riding in "daddy's truck" over mom's 08 malibu. I replaced the radiator once, the plenum once, the starter once, a few sensors, the cat once, and the transmission once at 130k and once at 168k. It has 170k now. It still runs well, it still looks new. I believe it to be one of the best looking trucks ever made. I have come to the conclusion that several things are true about these trucks. The torque is great. They are fairly easy to work on. The engines will last a long time, properly maintained or not. I work at a scrap yard and see them come in...beat to hell, knocking, cutting out, water in the oil, tranny shot, but still running. The trucks are an old design, mechanically. High torque, low horsepower. Its a truck. Similar to a tractor. The solid front axle is from an era past. Its tough as hell. It rides like crap. The gas mileage is comparable for the era, but is the worst of the big 3. The auto tranny's suck. Worse than any of the competitors. Even if working properly, they seem to be confused as to what gear to be in or shift at odd times. I will always love the truck regardless.

I am probably going to sell it. My grandfather passed away. He had a 1996 Z71. It has a 305, auto. It has 40k miles. I do not love it. It is not as big, does not have the power, and the mpg's are better, but not great. But, it has 40k miles. No matter how you slice it, a truck with 40k miles will most likely outlast one with 170k. I am not brand loyal. Maybe I will grow to love it. I hope so. I need to get the most for my money that I can, and I can buy this truck for the same as what I can sell mine for. Common sense dictates that I get it. I cannot afford both.

If I get it, I have enjoyed the site, although I do not post regularly. I usually just read and learn. I'd like to hear any comments you guys want to share. And if you see me, just another generic dick in a Z71, take it easy on a sentimental old dodge bastard.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I here horror storys of the 305 . Of it was a 350 or 454 it would be nice ! But if nothing wrong with yours why not keep it ? I've seen people go well over 250 k in these trucks

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

I would have a hard time parting with a vehicle I had that much history with....... Is the other truck going to be big enough for you though??

Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

You know, I empathize...I had a '74 Roadrunner like that once. Owned it 22 years. I'd hate to remember all the stuff that happened inside, outside, and around it. It even outlasted my ex, but not by much.

HOWEVER....AHHHHHHH hhhhhhh hahhhh heMMMMMMMMMM

You can have my truck when you pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel...

...after you get to me with the jaws of lfe.
Dd

Last edited by dsertdog56; 10-05-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

Well, that didn't quite work out as intended... but, merged two threads.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
You know, I empathize...I had a '74 Roadrunner like that once. Owned it 22 years. I'd hate to remember all the stuff that happened inside, outside, and around it. It even outlasted my ex, but not by much.

Don't you wish you still had that Roadrunner today?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gdstock
Don't you wish you still had that Roadrunner today?
In a word.....NO!

It's bad enough that it occasionaly shows up in my nightmares. The kind of nightmares that wake you up in a burning sweat, clutching what (in your nightmare) was a handgun in one hand and the steering wheel in another. Your heart is about to burst from your chest (not good at my age) and the dogs are quaking with fear on the floor.

And thanks...now I'm gonna be in for a rough night

Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
In a word.....NO!

It's bad enough that it occasionaly shows up in my nightmares. The kind of nightmares that wake you up in a burning sweat, clutching what (in your nightmare) was a handgun in one hand and the steering wheel in another. Your heart is about to burst from your chest (not good at my age) and the dogs are quaking with fear on the floor.

And thanks...now I'm gonna be in for a rough night

Sorry - Still wish I had my 65 Mustang from my younger days!

Quick Reply: sentimental bastard