2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Craziest Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011 | 05:42 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Transmission installed in my truck (new clutch) the day after I had my wisdom teeth pulled. So, I was on drugs.

Rear main in parking lot wasn't too bad, but dirty. If anyone wants to look at the STUCK thread i have pictures up of my '72 when i drove it home with the front axle being held in place by a come-a-long...

Old 10-20-2011 | 09:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I learned a few things that night:

-I don't like those back windows that only roll half way down, they're kinda hard to puke out of if you can't fit your head out of them (stupid tequila).
-A couple weeks later I learned that puke will eat a clear coat up if it doesn't get washed off right away.
^ lessons learned the hard way stick with you longer than others.
here's a few more.

when a drunk girl in the back seat mumbles: "pull over", do not delay.
a back floorboard full of puke in a 67 mustang full of people causes several more of them to puke.
it takes a lot of work to clean puke out of a car.
when puke comes out your nose it burns even more.
i'll stop here... but there was a lot more that night.

glad you liked Tennessee. Nashville is my favorite place.

Old 10-21-2011 | 01:10 AM
Bens5.9l4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I was going to Nashville from Clarksville (45 minute ride) to enjoy the city through some beer goggles and I started smelling gas but dismissed it because we were riding behind an old Chevy. Not even a minute later a guy pulled up beside us and yelled out, "you're leaking gas." That wasn't good.
We pulled over and I started poking around trying to find the leak and of course we were in my sisters Chrysler Cirrus so no tools. A couple minutes later some guy pulled up in a F450 utility truck and offered some assistance. He told us that we were in a bad part of town and wanted to help get us on our way. Nice folks out there in Tennessee. I blindly tracked the leak to a broken push on type fuel line clip on the fuel pump. Luckily the broken piece was identical to the low pressure return line right on top of the engine so I stole that one for the fuel pump but then I had the issue of not having one on that low pressure line. The guy offered to take me to his shop that was right around the corner to see if he had something that would work and I agreed knowing that I could hold my own if his intentions weren't good ones and my brother in law and my best friend could watch out for my sister if something were to go down while we were gone. The guy reached under his seat and handed my sister his .45 to hold on to until we got back, so that made me feel better about the situation (like I said, nice folks out there in Tennessee). We got to the shop and found some rubber hose and a couple hose clamps that would work and headed back and slapped them on. We called it fixed since it wasn't leaking and offered the guy some money for his trouble but he said not to worry and to call his boss and tell him that not all those Tennessee folks were a**holes.

I learned a few things that night:
-On a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus the plastic push clip things that hold the fuel line onto the fuel pump and the plastic push clip things on the fuel return line in the engine are identical.
-Not all Tennessee folks are a**holes (I never thought that to begin with, I'm pretty fond of that state from my experiences visiting it)
-If you're already about a fifth of Southern Comfort deep and get offered a shot of tequila, don't take it.
-If that shot of tequila is in the form of a body shot on the hottest bartender in Coyote Ugly, take it and deal with the ill effects later after you leave the bar.
-Jager-bombs taste like bubble gum
-Karaoke in a music town is actually pretty dang good to sit and listen too.
-The girls in the bars in Nashville are not afraid to let you know that they want something from you and they tend to get a little grabby (not a bad thing if you know what I mean). Not the best thing if your woman sees the grabbing though. My friend was coming down a flight of stairs with a drink in each hand and got stopped cold by some chick that was going up and decided to check how it was hanging. Man I love Nashville.
-I don't like those back windows that only roll half way down, they're kinda hard to puke out of if you can't fit your head out of them (stupid tequila).
-A couple weeks later I learned that puke will eat a clear coat up if it doesn't get washed off right away.
Ya we ain't too shabby ppl here in nashville

Old 10-21-2011 | 05:45 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Threw a track, 4 road wheels and a torsion arm on an M113A2 ADATS (12 tonne Air Defence Weapon) in a semi frozen mudhole about 3" deep... Had it fixed before the wrecker finally found us to "pull us out of the hole so we could repair it on hard, dry ground..."

Old 10-21-2011 | 05:52 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
changed a clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder on a honda accord in a dorm parking lot lat one night in 30* temps. i dragged the car out of a parking spot and up onto a curb under a street light so i could see.

replaced a starter on a toyota 4-runner at a different school, different city, different kid. the weather was nice that day.

here's my favorite... years ago before there were cell phones, two buddies didn't return from a mountain hell-raising expedition when they were supposed to. 2 other buddies set off on a rescue mission to find them. they stood around the shop and threw together a few tools, plenty of beer and food, and a bottle of rescue liquor. bill picked up an old coil of copper tubing and said - this might come in handy and tossed it in the back of the truck. so they went up in the north georgia mountains to the general area they hung out, and rode up and down every passable dirt road. at the end of one pig trail they found fresh hell-raising truck tracks and followed them up a creek bed where nobody in their right mind would go - and there sat the 2 lost buddies, broken down with a dead battery, and drunk as skunks. neither had jumper cables. so they pulled the trucks together and touched bumpers for a ground, and used the copper tubing to connect battery positives and jump off the bronco.... they got it started, finished off the rescue liquor and drove home.
That is quite possibly the best story on here...yet.

Old 10-21-2011 | 02:55 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Hmmm... that's a toughie. I have a tendency to fix 'em where they sit rather than calling out a wrecker.

The engine harness on my '78 Cherokee went up in smoke right at the top of Altamont Pass, and because I was moving lots of stuff my usual electrical repair bits were in my garage at home. I scrounged around the interior pulling non-essential wires out, and made a make-shift engine harness on the side of the highway. In the dark, with high winds and occasional rain. The CHP officer who stopped not long after I got started said he'd be back in a while to call me a wrecker -- said that in all his years on the highway he'd never seen anyone drive away from an electrical fire. He came by an hour or so later and repeated these things... on his third stop I was just starting the engine. He was flabbergasted. I was bummed because I had to finish the trip with no tunes -- all of my speaker wire was under the hood.

Same vehicle, a few years prior: Replaced both rear brake drums, shoes, springs, etc. in a forest service campground in Hobble Creek Canyon, east of Springville, Utah. Moral of the story: Don't trust your helpful neighbor to put the little rubber covers back in the backing plates after helping with a brake adjustment. And don't cross rushing streams unless you know they're in there because sand and gravel inside the drums is a very bad thing indeed.

Replaced a cracked flex plate in a KOA campground in Wendover, NV. The lot was all gravel so there was no way I was even going to consider dropping the transmission and instead pulled the engine. It was early winter (November) and the howling wind picked up my hood and threw it about 200 feet.

One of the easier ones: Replaced a u-joint on the side of a busy street in San Diego during rush hour. It's only remarkable because some inattentive idiot going to make a right turn almost hit the rig while I was under it, skidded to a stop just three inches shy of impact. The other inattentive idiot that was behind him was twice that far back when he got stopped.

Old 10-21-2011 | 03:12 PM
TheBrownDragon

In college I lived with a "dancer" with an affinity for drunk driving. On one such occasion, even after I had hid her keys, she drove to downtown columbus. The next day she says she got a "flat" and left the car downtown. I say fine, Ill fix it, and we start down. I believe it was a few miles before the exit I started noticing the divot in the road. Of course it leads to her car, in a parking lot over one of those concrete dividers. The oil filter was pushed in and oil was everywhere, what used to be the rotor/wheel was a shattered void. She says, "I think the spares in the trunk."

And then I died a little on the inside.

Old 10-21-2011 | 08:50 PM
1998ram5.9
Veteran

I had to change a rear axle shaft on my 98 in about a foot of snow next to my garage, the tow truck driver dropped the truck off at the end of my drive way cause he couldent get up the drive way. So with 3 wheels i tried to drive it into the garage but since my drive way is up hill i made it half way with 1 front tire spinning and slid into the yard, got stuck and had to do it there.

Old 10-22-2011 | 09:26 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

I changed plugs,wires, cap, and a fuel pump on a ford truck while blocking a whole city street for a few hours going back and forth to the parts store trying to get the truck running.

Old 10-22-2011 | 11:36 PM
crumbum1968

This may not be at the top of the list but had to maguyver my 97 ram outer tie rod. actually fell apart from rust at an intersection in central florida in mid july...bailing wire rules man... wired it up and drive it home about 15 miles.

Quick Reply: Craziest Install