2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Going mudding today, Suggestions on Air Intake Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I must be blind today for missing that post. I do overkill on my truck when it comes to tune ups, once in the fall and the other in the spring, cap and rotor every three months, oil changes every 3000km.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Are there any pics or video of your truck wheeling? I would rather see your truck doing this than a heavily modded ram. I wash my motor every two weeks if it needs it or not, clean motors are so much nicer to work on. Are those the org spark plug leads on your motor?
What's your strategy for engine bathing? Mine is also in the need for a proper bath

Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I just wash it, I hand wash the inner fenders and firewall, Then a pressure washer for the rest, use a good degreaser for the first wash to get it clean then its just a wash and rinse from then on. I don't cover anything or disconnect anything, some will say you need to, I have been doing the same wash thing for over 30 years and have never had a problem, the odd time the Chevy's(other truck) dizzy will get moist but no biggy. Don't focus on the elect stuff with the pressure washer, it can get wet just not soaked. Oh wear old clothes and saftey glasses for the first wash.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I must be blind today for missing that post. I do overkill on my truck when it comes to tune ups, once in the fall and the other in the spring, cap and rotor every three months, oil changes every 3000km.
pfft, not a problem my good sir. hope it wasn't too much of a bore to watch. tbh, about the tune ups and such, it's not too crazy (i think) when you consider the usage of one's vehicle. Mine is not just a DD. I run it pretty fast on freeway and now beating it up offroad (not too hard yet until the rock sliders at least come on). The mileage and usage should dictate shorter intervals.

Having the time to do it....is the fawkin challenge, at least for me.

Well I just wash it, I hand wash the inner fenders and firewall, Then a pressure washer for the rest, use a good degreaser for the first wash to get it clean then its just a wash and rinse from then on. I don't cover anything or disconnect anything, some will say you need to, I have been doing the same wash thing for over 30 years and have never had a problem, the odd time the Chevy's(other truck) dizzy will get moist but no biggy. Don't focus on the elect stuff with the pressure washer, it can get wet just not soaked. Oh wear old clothes and saftey glasses for the first wash.
This is pretty much what I do, but didn't use a degreaser. Here is what my "cleaner" bay looks like, yet still not as comparable as some of you other dirt bags.

Name:  IMG_20111109_071933.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  103.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20111109_071921.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  96.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20111109_071910.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  108.4 KB

Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

kinda sorta.

Based on comments around here of my air filter as shown in the OP...I got a new one. Before you jump on me again for allowing mine to get as dirty as it did, in my defense it was a bonehead cheap maneuver, I think.

1. I lost my K&N re-oil kit.

2. Was prepping for a long trip and purchased the cheaper, available AEM kit. The oil is blue color. I figured....they gotta be the same. (maybe they are).

3. I ended up overdoing it on the re-oil. Hence the residue on the box. I just got fed up with it and left it. Thus, as seen in the picture.

4. An attempt to clean it was not successful and now I'm uncertain if the oil is similar. Maybe some of you know.

5. So I got a new K&N replacement with the thought that the AEM oil basically has mucked it up. Filter was $33ish from streetside auto. Additionally, I am sticking with this CAI, which is the FIPK AND I have the accompanying exhaust system.

With all that being said, my silly question is this. Is the filter already oiled and ready to install? The packaging and minor slips of paper state nothing in this regard. Remember, I forgot what a properly looking K&N looks like!!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

White = no oil.
Red = oiled.
If there are any light pink spots on the new filter you should give them a shot of K&N oil but it should be properly oiled to begin with.

Your original filter would have been fine with a cleaning, the cleaning kits cost $10.
My sisters looked just like that and she was about to buy a new one and I told her not to waste her money. I cleaned it and now it looks like a brand new one. When you get some miles on a K&N it will turn black.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Thanks buddy. I'll mail mine to you for cleaning then.

You don't think the AEM blue oil may have messed it up?

I'll keep it to clean and use when I intend to really go mudding then.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the AEM oil kit should not affect the filter, all the brands of filters are pretty much the same

Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

^late thanks for that.

Went out to the OHV park today. Met up with 2 other jeeps. These are the only pics I got, but will have video from a buddy of me running a new stair step route. Broke a light under my rear bumper....but it was already busted. Those are the good breaks.

Brought one of my girls. She helped hold the caps while I aired down. The stair step is in the background of the first picture here.

Broken light

Little bit of mud.

One of the jeeps

She really liked the up and down smooth hills. whew!! She also liked the rocks too.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Hylander7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Fun
I want to get out there, but I'm thinking I should get me some front recovery points first.

Quick Reply: Going mudding today, Suggestions on Air Intake Protection