2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

DIY Onboard Air - 2nd Gen Ram - ARB Compressor and 5 gallon Tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb question -- why not secure the tank under the truck, tucked inside the frame, and then shield it with some scrap steel plating? Then, it's out of the way, not taking up space in the bed. Either way, that's pretty cool.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Dumb question -- why not secure the tank under the truck, tucked inside the frame, and then shield it with some scrap steel plating? Then, it's out of the way, not taking up space in the bed. Either way, that's pretty cool.
Not a dumb question at all. That has been a location considered for a long time. I already have the spare tire out and don't plan to put it back. That location is suitable, however, I don't want to chance the differential to say hello to the tank under compression. Likelihood is low, but I don't want to chance it. Other consideration is that I wanted to be able to access the tank easily for removal. For me, I won't be compromising too much bed space. It will not go down on the floor. Two locations on my mind are the 1. top of a wheel well and 2. Front of the bed side, like below the passenger window.

The location will probably be finalized when I determine the mounting brackets, which I'd like to function similar to bike mounts with a quick release. Tank has two feet with mounting holes. Thinking to weld a handle to the tank for hand carrying.

Underneath could still be an option though. I'll snap some more pics when I'm closer on that aspect.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your gas tank is under there as well so I wouldn't be too worried. I would however keep that tank deflated (empty) just in case the bad happens

Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by chadhager03
Your gas tank is under there as well so I wouldn't be too worried. I would however keep that tank deflated (empty) just in case the bad happens
The word you were looking for is "depressurized".

Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
8uzzsaw
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I have tossed that back and forth. The tank has a drain on it. Think its a necessity or "just a good idea" kinda thing? Just didn't think the volume warranted it. However, I'm open to your wit and charm to convince its something good to do. I'm not opposed to it at all.
Im almost positive that all of the trucks with air systems that we use in the CF have what is refered to as a wet tank between the compressor and reserve tanks. It builds air and gives a little "wet fart" after a few minutes of operation.

That being said, just making sure you drain the tank when you are done using it and again every morning, because condensation build up from temperature changes and such, you should be ok for what you are using it for. Its not like its for your brakes.

As for location, I would prefer it in the bed as well. It looks like you have a cap on your truck and having the tank out of the elements and away from sharp rocks would be nice.

But I'm no expert!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or, maybe.. 'disarmed'..

this is a dang good notion... melikes!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that is pretty cool. i am working on welding up a headache rack for my truck that can be as an air tank. just need to find a cheap air pump or maybe take the a/c compressor off my one truck and install it on the other. it use to put out way more than enough air to clean out a computer.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chadhager03
Errr....any chance you've seen the clearance relationship of the axle and the gas tank?

The tank I have, due to its size, could only be mounted in the spare tire area and not alongside the driveshaft. Also still too close to the driveshaft anyways. Even it were pressurized and got smacked, I think I'd rather have it underneath anyways....

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
The word you were looking for is "depressurized".

Originally Posted by 8uzzsaw
Im almost positive that all of the trucks with air systems that we use in the CF have what is refered to as a wet tank between the compressor and reserve tanks. It builds air and gives a little "wet fart" after a few minutes of operation.

That being said, just making sure you drain the tank when you are done using it and again every morning, because condensation build up from temperature changes and such, you should be ok for what you are using it for. Its not like its for your brakes.

As for location, I would prefer it in the bed as well. It looks like you have a cap on your truck and having the tank out of the elements and away from sharp rocks would be nice.

But I'm no expert!
That's some good points you have there. More and more the wet trap would be more necessary for a system under semi-constant use, such as the example you provided. I only plan to run/fill my system when the need arises. No intention to keep it constantly pressurized. Being mindful of draining remains a valid point.

As for the cap, that is my cargo pod.

Originally Posted by drewactual
or, maybe.. 'disarmed'..

this is a dang good notion... melikes!!!

What notion? You have me worried given your wallOtexts.

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
that is pretty cool. i am working on welding up a headache rack for my truck that can be as an air tank. just need to find a cheap air pump or maybe take the a/c compressor off my one truck and install it on the other. it use to put out way more than enough air to clean out a computer.
Good idea with the rack. Only thing to be mindful of, which I'm sure you are, is leak checking that thing due to number of welds you will end up with. I like the idea though as it's along the same lines of bumpers that also act as a tank.

As for the compressor, afaik a York Compressor is suitable as opposed to the A/C. IIRC the seals being suitable for air tight (hermetic). Nab a York out of '80s Volvo from a JY. This has been a common formula for OBA setups too. 4x4help.com actually documents quite a few.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup.. that would be me...

I think the notion of having on board compressed air is a dang good one, especially if you off-road with any regularity..

Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual

yup.. that would be me...

I think the notion of having on board compressed air is a dang good one, especially if you off-road with any regularity..
Is that a euphemism for someone has diarrhea?

Quick Reply: DIY Onboard Air - 2nd Gen Ram - ARB Compressor and 5 gallon Tank