2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wanted to show off my new paint job

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

looks great but 9 coats! I'm guessing you used rattle can paint?
I painted my corvette with the three stage chameleon paint I put the last layer of clear on too heavy and waited a bit too long between coats and it lifted in spots.... had to repaint the whole car again... not a fun experience.. sure did feel like I accomplished something afterwards though..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta love a orange ram.......looks good

Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

Orange and black were my highschool's colors, lol! looks good!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How'd you only spend $100 on paint? I spent $40 on just my bed, but that was autozone quart bottles. Also I've read places that you can spray on a primer and sand it off and repeat to get a real even surface, is this necessary? Did you have any problems painting outside? Thanks a lot, my trucks paint is as bad as our economy and I have no idea how to paint except you tube videos and google.
Btw idk if I said it earlier but the truck looks really good, as good as a professionals. Some two tone paint looks bad IMO but yours looks really good. Put a custom grill on there and you'd have a sema truck

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Pronk
Professional

Truck looks really nice, great job!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Tyler.

Wow. Could you come to Indiana and paint mine for me?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Looks great ! mine is in the process of being prepped , should have paint on it next week .

Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

ohio!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,, looks great

Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by dipsherry
gotta love a orange ram.......looks good
I was looking for pics of orange rams all over the place before I did mine! Wish I would have found yours... looks great!

Glad I went with orange though, as the other option was lime green!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Yes, I used rattle can auto enamel. I've done spray guns and rattle cans, and I find if you do rattle cans right, they are much more forgiving. Your finger might hurt a little more, but its near impossible even with a low pressure gun and a low pressure tank to spray without getting any drips. Certainly saves some time, but a rattle can can easily fit into tight spaces and can be held upside down, etc. I know it sounds crazy, but I prefer rattle can jobs if you do them right... Although IF you have the skill and proper facilities to do a full spray job, I think it can be better... but now that the weather isnt so rainy I can go take some pics of the paint job up close and you'll see it really does look like a professional paint job.

Took 22 rattle cans. Just ask your auto place for a bulk discount, and so they sold them to me for $4 each, which is $88 in paint ($93 after tax)... plus a $4 pack of sand paper from harbor freight, left me total 97.50 in the hole (after tax). When I paint smaller cars its a lot cheaper... I forget how big these full size trucks are!

Rattle cans get a bad wrap because most people that rattle can don't know what they are doing.

And no I haven't cleared it yet. If you use rattle cans and air dry, I've always been told to wait about 30 days before ultra high grit sanding and clear coating, although single stage enamel should easily get 5 years without clear coat, and the enamel is partially clear, so it has some pearl/depth to it even without it...

As much as I love my ram, its still a late 90s ram! haha...

Last edited by Arachnyd; 11-30-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Wanted to show off my new paint job