2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking to Buy, Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
GTXpress
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy, Have Questions

I am looking at buying a 95 Ram 2500. I have the usual stuff I look for, things I have been burned on that sort of thing. I looked today and there is rust in the rockers, has fender flares so rust there, things like that. I am more worried about mechanical issues I could have. The truck has 180000 miles on it. Have been reading things here. Guess I am wondering what I need to look at so I know what I am getting myself into.

Thank you in advance.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look down the TB with a flashlight and see if there is oil in side the intake. This is the sign of blown plenum gasket.

Check trans fluid (in neutral) if it is automatic. Is fluid burned or dark? Ask when tranny was rebuilt. If it has not been, it may be coming.

If it is 4x4, check transfer case for noise or a popping sound. Check u joints and steering slack.

Also, if you turn steering wheel from lock to lock, see if you get a clunking sound in the column (about a $60 fix for that).

At 180,000, if timing chain has not been replaced, it needs to be. Use a double roller set to replace.

Rust is going to be a concern, but is fixable. See pacmanloads thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...dy-repair.html

I bought my Ram with 134,000 and it needed trans rebuild, plenum repair, and timing set. Lots of good help available here on DF. I did all of my own with help here.

You can download service manual here in the FAQ/DIY section as well as parts manuals.

Hope I didn't scare you off, but any truck with 180,000 will need some work.

Welcome to DF.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 AM
biggreen2500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdstock

Check trans fluid (in neutral) if it is automatic. Is fluid burned or dark? Ask when tranny was rebuilt. If it has not been, IT MAY BE COMING.

Welcome to DF.
if its not rebuilt and it is in deed the factory tranny. then it will be on its way out the door... mine pooped on me at 125k in my 01 2500

Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by biggreen2500
if its not rebuilt and it is in deed the factory tranny. then it will be on its way out the door... mine pooped on me at 125k in my 01 2500

Mine was out at 130,000. I was trying to be honest, but not too brutal. As all of these things can be done by someone with tools and a mechanical aptitude, and help on DF, these are achievable.

I did not want to scare anyone off with the list, but the reality is, 180,000 mile truck will need some things done. Maybe some of this has already been addressed by previous owner!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh... you'd be getting yourself into a truck with 180,000 miles on it, so chances are very, very good that it's a candidate for being either a (sometimes expensive) hobby or a project.

Is the Ram a gasser or a diesel? 2WD or 4WD? Automatic transmission, or manual? What do you know of its history?

If it's a gasser, then it's much like the '96 Dak in your profile -- though if it's sporting an automatic transmission you'll want to think a bit on how much you really want a second generation Ram. The 46R transmission in stock form just isn't well suited to shoving three tons down the road, so chances are very good that you'll be addressing that while you own the thing. Even if it was rebuilt at some point, if it's a basic rebuild without a bunch of upgrades it's something you'll probably be dealing with. (The easy way out: throw a PATC Mega Viper in and be done with it. It's costly with a starting price at $2700, but it's once and done.)

Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you buying it to use its capacity as a 3/4 ton truck? If so be careful as there where light duty 2500's in the early years. If it is a 8600+ GVW it is the HD but if its around 7400 it is the light duty. The biggest difference is that the light duty has 8-lug half ton axles and less capacity.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
GTXpress
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy claims the trans was rebuilt in January. So hopefully that will last awhile. The transfer case isn't making noise. 4x4 seems to work OK. I was excited about the 3/4 ton so I will have to look at the rating. I know what comes with buying a truck that old with high miles, he also claims tie rods have all been rePlaced and still needs ball joints. I was basically asking you Ram guys what's on the used Ram specific list.

He's asking 3000. I have him at 2500 with no cash. Thinking about going for 2200. Is it worth that regardless?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Make sure it has fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror, and those stick on chrome hood vents you can buy at pep-boys. If it does, you should probably buy the truck before somebody else jumps on it.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

GDStock pretty much covered the bases there. To add to that, if the steering is really sloppy still, prolly gonna need to at least adjust the steering box, if not replace it. (around 300 for a good one.)

Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
gdstock
Legend

$3000 on a 1995 seems a little high, at least here. Ball joints wil run about $100-$150 in parts, probably $350 to $400 installed. $2200 may be a decent deal. Don't know about the difference in values from here to Iowa though. market is funny.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy, Have Questions