2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Every XXXXmiles/oil change X months I..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you flush them both out completely, or was there a little Dino left in one of them? You can't mix the red fluid with the green you know?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHH thats it!!

Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I have always wondered why my blinkers were so loud...never done changed my blinker fluid.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
I pretty much stick to the manual as unreg does, but I think with dino oil these days and a quality filter, the oil change can go longer.
You might want to engage the services of one of those oil testing outfits for your testing, so you can quantify the matter. We change our motor oil as often as we do due to the contaminant load it's carrying rather than some organic decomposition of the oil itself. The oil's black when we drain it from the microscopic particles of ash that have got past the rings and which are small enough to pass right through the filter, the detergent additive is carrying water around, the sulfur in suspension in the oil is reacting with that water to make sulfuric acid... it's ugly soup.

You can (or at least might) get further between oil changes with a bypass oil filter, either the sort used on diesels or even a Frantz "toilet paper" filter. (You don't need the chemicals diesels need, BTW.) My idiot father bought a used Winnebago way back when that had a Frantz filter on it, and even pushing that big box of a rig around the oil that came out of the 318 was much cleaner looking than the stuff that came out of the 318 that originally came in my Coronet. The drained oil looked pretty close to new, but the TP roll that came out of the Frantz unit was black.

I don't know why I haven't thought of Frantz filters in so many years... I might just plumb one in for the giggle factor if for no other reason.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Good idea there, never thought of going to a by pass oil filter.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

at least once every 300k miles, you should pull the drive shaft(s), and exchange the air inside of them.. they become stale and corrosive.. do this by dunking them in water, ensuring they are completely submerged for at least ten-fifteen seconds..

by following this simple procedure, you've ensured your shafts will last you the life of the vehicle, and possibly until the Mayan prophecies come to fruition..

Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Lmao!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
You might want to engage the services of one of those oil testing outfits for your testing, so you can quantify the matter. We change our motor oil as often as we do due to the contaminant load it's carrying rather than some organic decomposition of the oil itself. The oil's black when we drain it from the microscopic particles of ash that have got past the rings and which are small enough to pass right through the filter, the detergent additive is carrying water around, the sulfur in suspension in the oil is reacting with that water to make sulfuric acid... it's ugly soup.

You can (or at least might) get further between oil changes with a bypass oil filter, either the sort used on diesels or even a Frantz "toilet paper" filter. (You don't need the chemicals diesels need, BTW.) My idiot father bought a used Winnebago way back when that had a Frantz filter on it, and even pushing that big box of a rig around the oil that came out of the 318 was much cleaner looking than the stuff that came out of the 318 that originally came in my Coronet. The drained oil looked pretty close to new, but the TP roll that came out of the Frantz unit was black.

I don't know why I haven't thought of Frantz filters in so many years... I might just plumb one in for the giggle factor if for no other reason.
Very nicely put. And I agree, now that I thought about it. However, that's for our older engines and older as you have stated. Not the same case with the newer engines, and of course I don't want to get into the environmental impact on changing oil every 3K for no reason.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys rotate the air in your tires every oil change, or every other?

Old 12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob5151
Do you guys rotate the air in your tires every oil change, or every other?
I replace mine. Recycle the old air though. It's more environmentally responsible.

Quick Reply: Every XXXXmiles/oil change X months I..