2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fine Tuning 5.2L short block Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 PM
shminister
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine Tuning 5.2L short block Rebuild

Hey, Hey you! It has been since October since I talked with you about my rebuild on BIG MO! 5.2L in my 2001 Ram Sport. I got it back together. New Double roller sprockets, timing chain, roller rockers, heads, Plenum plate, spark plugs, wires, exhaust, any way, Just aint getting the punch out of it like I thought. Runs smooth but just seems to hesitate out of the shoot, and no real get up and go. Is it just because this is a 3.18? Could it be that the roller rocker, double roller timing chain, and sprockets have the ECU timing a little off? Just not satisfied!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by shminister
Hey, Hey you! It has been since October since I talked with you about my rebuild on BIG MO! 5.2L in my 2001 Ram Sport. I got it back together. New Double roller sprockets, timing chain, roller rockers, heads, Plenum plate, spark plugs, wires, exhaust, any way, Just aint getting the punch out of it like I thought. Runs smooth but just seems to hesitate out of the shoot, and no real get up and go. Is it just because this is a 3.18? Could it be that the roller rocker, double roller timing chain, and sprockets have the ECU timing a little off? Just not satisfied!

What did you do with your exhaust? O2 sensors? Still gotta cat?

Not sure if the Dodge computers are as easily convinced, but, the GM guys, "learned" HOW you drove as well. First thing we would try when a customer came in complaining about low power, or some such, we would reset the PCM, and then take the car out and drive it hard for half an hour or so. The computer would learn that, and the customer would be amazed at the difference........

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not sure if the Dodge computers are as easily convinced, but, the GM guys, "learned" HOW you drove as well. First thing we would try when a customer came in complaining about low power, or some such, we would reset the PCM, and then take the car out and drive it hard for half an hour or so. The computer would learn that, and the customer would be amazed at the difference........
I don't think that works on these. I remember you mentioning that before so I disconnected the battery for about 10-15 minutes, reconnected, and drove the hell out of it for about 150 miles or so to test this theory.

Long story short, IMO, all I did was beat on my truck and waste fuel.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM
shminister

Replaced my exhaust with new stainless and new O2 sensors. The idle is like a smooth well oiled machine! Just no power. I have a friend who is a independent shop mechanic, can he check the fuel synch? It would'nt be my AUTO TRANSMISSION SOLENOIDS holding back the Transfer of RPMS? Just in that frustrated state now!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you using a tuner of any type? SCT or other brand.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM
shminister

No, don't have a tuner. Would it be the answer to get some kick out of this engine? How much do they cost? All this electrical mumbo jumbo! the timing is basic electrical, no advance or retard, and now Tuners to get the power right? JEEEES! Miss the simple mechanical engines!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If your engine is still basically stock, (which I think it is...) you can get an SCT Tuner from Hemifever for 265 bucks, that will not only get rid of the death flash you likely have, but, it also does tricks with torque management. You will LIKE it.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
shminister

OH WOW! watched some youtube videos, it is unreal how much that Tuner makes a difference. Just shows ow much these trucks are not just mechanical, like the old days" ! Gotta save to buy one of those SCT tuners. Still trying to get my "old School Mind" around this! You call, give then your ECU #, tell them your mods, they set some programs, when delivered just plug in and "BAM"!!! It resurrects from DEAH FLASH?? OKEEE DOKEEEE!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shminister
Replaced my exhaust with new stainless and new O2 sensors. The idle is like a smooth well oiled machine! Just no power. I have a friend who is a independent shop mechanic, can he check the fuel synch? It would'nt be my AUTO TRANSMISSION SOLENOIDS holding back the Transfer of RPMS? Just in that frustrated state now!

Call your friend and see if he can set fuel sync. He will know if his computer will do it or not. If not, dealer or another independent. It needs to be correct. Then get the SCT tuner. Should run like a top with plenty of power then. 5.2L is not bad, but stock, it is not a racer either. But you should be able to feel the power and not dog out.

Quick Reply: Fine Tuning 5.2L short block Rebuild