2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Speed Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speed Bleeder

So I just discovered speed bleeders this week while trying to restore the rigged rear brakes on my Ram. A couple of weeks ago I had to talk my wife into helping me bleed the clutch on my Yota, and she has mentioned on numerous occasions how her leg was sore the next day. So I have been waiting to ask her to help me bleed the Ram Brakes - and I stumbled across these at my FLAPS:

Name:  DoormanSpeedBleeder.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  10.9 KB

Name:  SpeedBleeder.gif
Views: 340
Size:  27.6 KB

This sounds like a perfect idea, but the ones I picked up were way too large. So this afternoon I remove the bleeder (GM 1 Ton Cylinder) and measured it 8mmx1.25 x 28mm. So I ordered the correct size.

Has anyone tried these? Did they work well or is the idea better than the application? If these have been successful for you guys I will install when they arrive. And if they work well, I will install them on the front and on my other vehicles. I am hoping these do not turn out to be something that is "too good to be true".

Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

They are kinda hit and miss. Some work MUCH better than others. After they have been on the truck for a while..... they don't work as good either. (but, blowing fluid thru them a few times will usually sort that out.)

They ARE a good idea, just only have one open at a time.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
gdstock
Legend

I was thinking of doing pass side first and see how well it goes, then doing driver side. If these work well I will be getting more. Who knows, I may even get into the habit of routinely bleeding brakes as a scheduled maintenance task! (My wife will appreciate that!)

Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Who knows, I may even get into the habit of routinely bleeding brakes as a scheduled maintenance task! (My wife will appreciate that!)
You might want to invest in a Motive (or similar) power bleeder to make it a quick one man job with no pedal pumping required. And the easier it is the more likely it'll get done, at least for me.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks interesting. report back on how well they work.

i don't know anything about the speed bleeders, and i also use the wife in seat method. but i did bleed my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago and ran into a couple of things i'll pass along.

i bled mine with the engine off. they did bleed, but it was sort of slow and sluggish instead of the expected whoosh on each opening. i bled each side several several cycles and refilled the master cylinder reservoir several times to achieve a flush of the fluid. after completing that and starting the truck, my ABS light was stuck on.

to eliminate mess, i slip a piece of hose over the bleeder valve and dump it into a bucket.

one article said to check the proportioning valve under the hood, and if popped out - press the little button back in. mine was not popped out.
another article said with engine running, to press and hold the brake pedal for 10 seconds to allow the valve to recenter. that worked for me and the light went out.

and i did end up with good brakes after not having any rear brakes for a long time.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
You might want to invest in a Motive (or similar) power bleeder to make it a quick one man job with no pedal pumping required. And the easier it is the more likely it'll get done, at least for me.

OR Build your own.
How to make your Own Power Bleeder
The Making of the InexpensiveBrake Pressure Bleeder
Make Your Own Power Brake Bleeder

Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
OR Build your own.
I knew you were going to chime in with that. Just knew it! And it's a perfectly viable option, too.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I knew you were going to chime in with that. Just knew it! And it's a perfectly viable option, too.
The ALL KNOWING UnregisteredUser

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VWandDodge, thanks for the links. I have been meaning to get a brake bleeder for a while now. Now I can just make my own.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 PM
gdstock
Legend

I never thought about looking for a power bleeder. I see that the Motive (an probably every brand) is specific to models or typse such as European, Domestic, etc. I own too many darn cars to be able to make me want to pay $60 for a tool for each one. Think I will attempt to make one. Based on the DIY instructions (thanks VW) I think I can muild it and obtain a set of master cylinder caps for each vehicle and keep all in a case together so I can do which ever vehicle is in need.....another project......

Thanks for everyone's input. Great ideas. Speed Bleeder will be here tomorrow. I will let everyone know how well they work. I had some difficulty getting the correct ones. What was listed in autoparts stores (AZ, NAPA AND part Plus....did not match. I had to measure thread to order. Wish I Would have measured the Ram cylinder bleeders before I Threw them away so I could post that as well.

And another question related to everyone's experience......

During the brake rel=llacement process, I have gone through 2 plastic spray bottles. It seems that although buying brake cleaner in a gallon jug is much cheaper, regular household sprayers such as those found at Ace Hardware and other places are not able to withstand Brake Cleaner very well.

So my guy at the local tire shop (who provided a couple of free tires for my Chevy project) showed me this:

Name:  SpotSprayer.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  12.6 KB

Has anyone used these (Summit Racing) and had good luck with them? About $30 including shipping. The worst thing about having to keep buying the plastic spray botles - they crap pout in the evening after the stores are closed!

Last edited by gdstock; 01-19-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Additional question.

Quick Reply: Speed Bleeder