2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

of coarse...more problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default of coarse...more problems

well today i went to go get some brakes for the truck....but when i started it i noticed my volts were down to like 10....kinda boggled my mind since i drove home last night with the volts consistantly above 14...well got it tested and the alternator was toast....$157 later...............................and i still need to do brakes rotors and calipers.....i dont know if i should get ready to retire it, and instead of fixing put down a down payment on a new truck...but i dont want the payments.....i love when problems like this happen...............

Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

I think you can still invest more in your truck, and get some more mileage out of it, and STILL be ahead of the game.... (no new truck payment.....)

Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what would a new truck payment be? What is your monthly repair bills? that's the way i used to always look at it....

Old 03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you can still invest more in your truck, and get some more mileage out of it, and STILL be ahead of the game....
That's precisely why I bought my truck instead of a new one. I can have twice the truck for half the money, and my cost per mile will be much lower. In 20 years a 2012 Ram will just be another old used piece of 5h17 but mine will be worth far more than my investment in it.

Unless I wreck it or gasoline is no longer available, of course.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That's precisely why I bought my truck instead of a new one. I can have twice the truck for half the money, and my cost per mile will be much lower. In 20 years a 2012 Ram will just be another old used piece of 5h17 but mine will be worth far more than my investment in it.

Unless I wreck it or gasoline is no longer available, of course.
Amen to that. I just haven't been able to convince myself the value of any of the new cars/trucks are any where near what they charge for them. Score the clean used ones. Let someone else pay the new car prices. Of course they are more of a tool than a toy for me anymore. Even with a bunch of bolt on upgrades I'm still way under the cost of a new truck and my 2nd gen is rock solid and super sweet to my eye.

A bike on the other hand I can geek out on and spend way too much money.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot I'm regretting the 12k I financed my car for... I paid a decent price, but I hate insurance and payment every month...

Ugly1 every time I see your sig pic it inspires me to love on my truck some more

Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thnks bro. by the looks of your own sig you are already livin the dream. Nothing better than what you got right there. IMO Though I did recently pick up a little POS honda Accord for my commute so I can save the truck for more truck like activities. With gas going up to god only knows where....

Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 AM
acsamples79
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i finally got too tired of all the repairs i had to do to my truck and decided to get a newer cummins. i figured it up and the cost of my truck plus the upgrades i had done, plus the repairs so far (before the 2nd tranny rebuild) came out to the purchase price of my new cummins for a MUCH better truck. made me happy i bit the bullet instead of putting it off

Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Thnks bro. by the looks of your own sig you are already livin the dream. Nothing better than what you got right there. IMO Though I did recently pick up a little POS honda Accord for my commute so I can save the truck for more truck like activities. With gas going up to god only knows where....
Yea, except I can't drive either right now! Haha my '72 is still in your 'hood, and the '95.... well, you know.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
hiusmell
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just on the subject of new cars. My dad has always owned at least two vehicles at a time, saying if he went outside one morning and one didn't start the other will. He always bought them cheap and they seemed to always last him, to where he broke even.
But when cash for clunckers was around he traded in a 1998 jeep grand cherokee with 298000 miles on it, no muffler, and sitting on two spares for a 2009 nissan altima. And besides Harleys it was the first new vehicle he ever bought. And now that his warranty is almost up, he's thinking about trading it in and buying another new car. He said he likes the idea of having something he KNOWS will start.
Sorry for such a long story. Just came to my mind, thinking about new trucks.

Quick Reply: of coarse...more problems