2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Timing chain and distributor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 AM
kborchers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain and distributor

I need opinions on timing for my sons 1999 ram 1500 4x4. We set the crank and cam a week ago. It took three trys to get it. We did not check the TDC and the rotor position till it was in the truck and found that at TDC the rotor is about 5 degrees from cyl #1. The engine rotates freely. Is this going to be
OK with ignition timing or should I disassemble and recheck crank and cam?. I ask because the timing is not adjustable by turning the distributor and it has a pulse ring that runs about 180 degrees.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Need a scanner to check fuel sync. (that's what the sensor in the dist is all about.) So long as the timing set was installed correctly, (you didn't move anything when gears were off...... and things lined up nicely) you should be ok there.... Does the engine run??

Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
kborchers

This is a rebuild so yes everything was moved. Sorry about that.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

OH.... I think there is a procedure in the service manual for installing the dist after the engine was rotated, for whatever reason. It isn't that difficult..... just hard to find.

Does the engine run?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM
kborchers

Sorry it has taken so long. I removed the timing chain cover and tried to redo the crank and cam and got the same thing. I now have a new question regarding the cam and crank sprockets. There are two different marks, one is a straight line right at the edge of the sprocket (these are the ones I used), and then there are the holes in the sprockets. I have a feeling noe that the holes are the timing marks. Tell me if I am right or wrong and which I should be using.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my timing chain it had lines on the sprockets and also a "dot" at 180° on one of the sprockets. When at TDC and rotor pointing at #1 one line was matched with the dot. This threw me off be because I thought it was 180° off. But some quick info from HeyYou explained that these trucks have the rotor pointing at #6 when timing marks are lined up.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can you post a good pic of your gears?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM
kborchers

PapaG you hit it on the head. I redid the timing and the dots are the correct marks. HeyYou, thanks for the help, I needed to express myself and get as much input as possible.

Quick Reply: Timing chain and distributor