2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fuel Line Water Remover

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Line Water Remover

I usually get the red "Iso heet" bottle every year to rid the engine of water. I am overdue for this, and I have a 725 mile long trip to do in a few weeks, so I think this will be a good time to really rid fuel system of water. But I have some questions:

What brand do you use?
Should I use 2 bottles?
or
Should I use one bottle per fill-up over the 725 mile trip from IN to NY?
** I am not looking for increases in gas mileage or detergent qualities, just water removal**

I use 2-3 ounces of Lucas Upper Cylinder lube every 2 times I add gas to my tank (I never fill-up unless I am going on a long trip as 40-50 bucks will get me half a tank per week of driving). But that does not do anything for water removal, just cleaning. Maybe it is the reason for my ridiculously high HWY mileage, as I have been using lucas every 3 fillups (on average) since 2008. Probably not.

I was thinking of using that "star" ethanol treatment over the course of the move, but I think it is 20 bucks per bottle.

Give me some ideas/reviews of some products that would be helpful. I am not too keen on the DRAWBACKS of additives like HEET and such. So I don't know if it will be harmful or overkill to use so much in such a short time.

Other info, I will be using the 87 tune as I will be towing out of OD. 87 octane has less ethanol, as most of your higher grades use more ethanol% to bump the octane rating. Kind of a little experiment I have.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get a couple of bottle of Isopropyl alcohol for under $1 each.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 PM
stewie01
Legend

Here's a link for the StarTron product's.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

I use it in my truck, and while I don't know about it's water removing capabilities it really does help increase my mileage, which I know you're not looking for....

The small bottle is $10 at Wal-Mart, first treatment is about half the bottle, then about 1/3rd the bottle for subsequent fill up's.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe Techron Concentrate Plus works for water also. (Besides the obvious added benefits) Being a little **** there bud or what? LOL Do your damn move and worry about the truck after your settled. I don't think anything catastrophic is going to happen to your injectors during the trip. And please tell me you have a garage to permanently park it in at the new location.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I have to wait to get government housing. I can get a 2 car garage or a 1 car garage. Even if I get a 2 car garage, I am not so sure that I will have room for both the wife's yukon, my Harley AND my truck (plus compressor and toolboxes).

It is going to be close. I had a great place in Lawton oklahoma (not according to the wife though). 2 car garage with shelves, a workbench and a spot for the washer/dryer. It was half the size of the house.

Isopropyl....makes sense because the alcohol will absorb the water. is that all the HEET stuff is?

Do I want 70, 90 or 99% isopropyl? I am guessing the highest possible so it absorbs more water.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
I have to wait to get government housing. I can get a 2 car garage or a 1 car garage. Even if I get a 2 car garage, I am not so sure that I will have room for both the wife's yukon, my Harley AND my truck (plus compressor and toolboxes).

It is going to be close. I had a great place in Lawton oklahoma (not according to the wife though). 2 car garage with shelves, a workbench and a spot for the washer/dryer. It was half the size of the house.

Isopropyl....makes sense because the alcohol will absorb the water. is that all the HEET stuff is?

Do I want 70, 90 or 99% isopropyl? I am guessing the highest possible so it absorbs more water.
Lawton??? Oh, I'm so sorry.

Anyway, Heet is mostly Isopropyl alcohol. The higher the percentage, the more "pure" or higher alcohol content the bottle contains.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Lawton??? Oh, I'm so sorry.

Me too! ....he he...

Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

My wife hated lawton so much the 6 months we were there. I knew a LTC who was going to be a BN commander and he wanted me to command one of his batteries, but my wife didn't want to stay for 2 years.

Yeah, Lawton was not fun at all. I stayed in a motel there a couple years ago and there remnants of a chalk outline on the floor. Plus a prostitute came to my door at 1 AM asking for "Ralph" saying he had an appointment.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
My wife hated lawton so much the 6 months we were there. I knew a LTC who was going to be a BN commander and he wanted me to command one of his batteries, but my wife didn't want to stay for 2 years.

Yeah, Lawton was not fun at all. I stayed in a motel there a couple years ago and there remnants of a chalk outline on the floor. Plus a prostitute came to my door at 1 AM asking for "Ralph" saying he had an appointment.
Maybe Ralph was the chalk outline!

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Water Remover