2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1989 d350 12v should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012 | 07:01 PM
Wombat Ranger
|
Grand Champion

Yea I go over there and read every now and then, cuz they have a much more alive diesel crowd than here. If I had the cash and room for projects (I live in a dorm, my tranny swap projects and such happen in a parking lot ) I would buy it, but I was considering trading my '95 for it, and he didn't wanna give me enough on top. So it's not gonna happen.

Old 05-21-2012 | 07:13 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i glad he didn't offer you enough on top of a trade. i never really liked the looks of a dually. i do like the way the d250's and single rear wheel d350's look.

Old 05-21-2012 | 07:17 PM
Wombat Ranger
|
Grand Champion

I actually really like the look of that truck. I'm not a dually fan much, but that one just looks sweet to me. I already had plans haha but with everything I have done and still plan to do to this '95 I should probably just keep it as a daily driver for the rest of eternity.

Old 05-22-2012 | 09:31 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Older trucks in texas are just cheap. I have seen 2nd gen cummins for under 5k. He says theres a wiring writeup online somewhere, and its about a $20 fix. Who knows, but im not really scared about that
Bullsh1t.
Only if they are beat to hell and back. I've looked. I NEVER found a 2nd Gen Cummins that was in good shape for cheaper. NEVER

Dunno where you're looking.

Old 05-22-2012 | 09:34 AM
Wombat Ranger
|
Grand Champion

Craigslist. Have you seen my truck? I am not scared of doing little fixing up myself (like the plenum for instance )

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 05-22-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2012 | 09:36 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Yeah, on CL.
The only ones I ever found had sh1tty interiors and beat up bodys that would make you cringe. That and/or engine problems (lift pump usually).

Old 05-22-2012 | 10:05 AM
Wombat Ranger
|
Grand Champion

Welllll I have seen decent ones... Decent enough that I would buy them. They just go fast. And I look within a 400 mile radius usually, so that includes stuff as far as san antonio and way past DFW. Anyway, You don't agree with me, and that's just fine.

Old 05-22-2012 | 10:16 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Thing is, I am not willing to drive 400 miles to look at a truck. I wanted a Cummins, but I didn't want something ugly, which is why I got my 1500. But I am happy with my truck. It's given me hell, but a Cummins would too.

Old 05-22-2012 | 11:36 AM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Thing is, I am not willing to drive 400 miles to look at a truck. I wanted a Cummins, but I didn't want something ugly, which is why I got my 1500. But I am happy with my truck. It's given me hell, but a Cummins would too.
haha the dodge front end and engine accessories might, but the engine itself won't give you hell

only engine probs I've ever had with mine were caused by my own doing. I put an aggressive fueling box on it (still on there) and pushed the timing to the max, and drove it hard. ended up blowing the head gasket and destroying the turbo. replaced the turbo with a hybrid turbo, and I put 150hp injectors in it. well all that extra fuel blew up the hybrid turbo the first test drive lol...so I got twins, head studs, double disk clutch with 3600# pressure plate, and pushed it hard again. broke my transmission. now new stronger transmission in there, and its all holding up fine now

had I not messed with heavy performance mods, engine never would have gave me any grief. and as it is, only thing that ever went bad on the engine was a head gasket which could have been prevented with head studs. now that everything is beefed up it is very reliable. unless you push over 800hp out of the engine, the worst you can do to it is blow a head gasket, turbo, or float a valve if you get the 4k rpm fueling boxes without doing 110# valve springs and hd pushrods first.

these engines were not built for dodge trucks. they were built for heavy equipment, large vehicles, and boats. All forms of it other than the dodge one came with more hp and torque from the factory. they were detuned severely for emissions and to protect the dodge drive train from excessive torque.

Old 05-22-2012 | 02:07 PM
Wombat Ranger
|
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Thing is, I am not willing to drive 400 miles to look at a truck.
I am

But not without talking about possible pricing, truck characteristics, and seeing pictures first. I drove 300 miles to buy this '95, and got a really good deal on the truck I wanted.

Quick Reply: 1989 d350 12v should i buy?