2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheeling a fullsize

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017 | 12:48 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Nicraage,
What is wrong with your engine? I guess I can't ask how the AirGap is working if you're having problems with the engine not running correctly.
I have always lacked the power I should have. In neutral the motor is a beast, but under load it feels like a 4 cylinder pulling a trailer. From my description of the issue, and oxygen sensor readings and logs, most people say it's a fuel sync issue. We redid the fuel timing a fuel sync a few times, with no improvements. I had another guy come in from out of town with his computer to try and work it out, and it's the same (actually was worse, now I get some backfiring and even more loss of power). He told me to try replacing the ECU. I am waiting on a rebuilt one to arrive. If I'm lucky, I will get it this week.

Old 05-02-2017 | 05:24 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nicraage
I have always lacked the power I should have. In neutral the motor is a beast, but under load it feels like a 4 cylinder pulling a trailer. From my description of the issue, and oxygen sensor readings and logs, most people say it's a fuel sync issue. We redid the fuel timing a fuel sync a few times, with no improvements. I had another guy come in from out of town with his computer to try and work it out, and it's the same (actually was worse, now I get some backfiring and even more loss of power). He told me to try replacing the ECU. I am waiting on a rebuilt one to arrive. If I'm lucky, I will get it this week.
Try putting a new crank sensor in. I was having all sorts of problems when trying to tune my shelby durango (with a kenne bell blower) it was lacking in power and would sometimes not go above 3000rpm and was crazy rich. Finally after putting in what seemed like every sensor I did a new OE coil which helped a little but the crank sensor is what finally solved it.

Old 05-02-2017 | 09:14 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
|
Champion

Great pics Nicraage.

You can keep your mud... LOL

Old 05-02-2017 | 09:51 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Great pics Nicraage.

You can keep your mud... LOL
lol, yeah that race is near a lake, and is known for having a lot of mud. Too much for my tastes also. Too much winching, but that is what the co-pilot is for, lmao.

Old 05-02-2017 | 09:55 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by adukart
Try putting a new crank sensor in. I was having all sorts of problems when trying to tune my shelby durango (with a kenne bell blower) it was lacking in power and would sometimes not go above 3000rpm and was crazy rich. Finally after putting in what seemed like every sensor I did a new OE coil which helped a little but the crank sensor is what finally solved it.
I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'm going back, trying to remember if I swapped that one, and I don't think we did. I know we me messed with a lot of sensors, and even unplugged all the transmission sensors to ensure it wasn't feeding back to the ecu. I was hoping to recieve my ecu today, but no luck. If I'm lucky we will get another mail delivery this week.
Thanks for the tip..

Old 05-02-2017 | 11:43 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

If I had known you were looking for an ECU I would have sent you mine that was flash by B&G for a lot of the mods I had done. Might have helped you out who knows. I am going to be using my other ECU when I get my new engine back together because Ryan feel it would work better. Do you have any type of tuner on your truck? If not I would seriously look at talking with Hemifever and getting a tuner. Once the tuner is shipped to you then any updates are sent thru email so you wouldn't have to be waiting. Plus you can get more than one tune loaded onto the tuner. So you can have a daily tune, a race tune where you run better fuel and a ****ty fuel tune for those times you're running gas, water, whiskey and who knows what else.

Old 05-03-2017 | 12:16 AM
nicraage
Professional

If I had known you were looking for an ECU I would have sent you mine that was flash by B&G for a lot of the mods I had done. Might have helped you out who knows. I am going to be using my other ECU when I get my new engine back together because Ryan feel it would work better. Do you have any type of tuner on your truck? If not I would seriously look at talking with Hemifever and getting a tuner. Once the tuner is shipped to you then any updates are sent thru email so you wouldn't have to be waiting. Plus you can get more than one tune loaded onto the tuner. So you can have a daily tune, a race tune where you run better fuel and a ****ty fuel tune for those times you're running gas, water, whiskey and who knows what else.
I appreciate the thought on the ecu. I picked one up for a decent price on ebay, and they program it to my truck. I used to have a superchips, but I didn't see much improvement, so I sold it. Now, I have an SCT I got from Hemifever. He worked with me for a bit, but there isn't much he can do until I get the fuel sync issue worked out.
The plan is to put the ecu in and try it stock to see if it improves. Once that is resolved, I will put the tune on it. I like the idea of multiple tunes. Actually, I will be trying a new camshaft sensor before I receive the ecu. Afterwards, I have an external fuel pump and filters with a regulator, but I don't want to change that until after testing the ecu.
It's been very frustrating

Last edited by nicraage; 05-03-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-03-2017 | 01:23 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Nicraage,
I went thru the same issues on the engine I had in my Jeep. It never had the power I thought it should have and when I first got it running I went thru 3 ECU's before I finally got one that would allow the rig to run. But it never had the power some people talk about after doing the V-8 swap. Then I did the intake pan gasket trying to track down the low power. After that it started to run warm and things went down hill from there. That was 4 years ago hell almost 5 years now. I hope to have the block and heads back from the machine shop towards the end of this month.

Good luck on getting yours figured out. Let me know if I can be any help and if you need to borrow a MT2500 to set your fuel sync I'd be glad to loan you mine.

Old 05-03-2017 | 09:36 AM
nicraage
Professional

Nicraage,

Good luck on getting yours figured out. Let me know if I can be any help and if you need to borrow a MT2500 to set your fuel sync I'd be glad to loan you mine.
Thanks. I actually bought a tool from autoenginuity, and the Chrysler package that allows the advanced stuff, including fuel sync. It hooks up to a laptop, and is pretty interesting. Most is too complicated for me, but the fuel sync is pretty straight forward.

Old 05-03-2017 | 10:00 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nicraage
Thanks. I actually bought a tool from autoenginuity, and the Chrysler package that allows the advanced stuff, including fuel sync. It hooks up to a laptop, and is pretty interesting. Most is too complicated for me, but the fuel sync is pretty straight forward.
Get your crank sensor in? I am very curious on how this turns out. The fuel sync is easy just don't do what I did last weekend. When I got the bolt broke loose on the distributor it slipped
off and broke the oil pressure sensor off

Quick Reply: Wheeling a fullsize