2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheeling a fullsize

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are legally required to run mudflaps I do not understand why you would not? I also have to ask why not just use covers that would not block the signals as much as those will?

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Ding Dang,
That was a ton of BS................................................ .......................................

WK,
I think the guards look great and even if you were coming up on your truck in the lane next to you your tail lights are still visible. Heck people who put those smoked covers on their tail lights are blocking them more.
Washington has the same law about mud flaps and I have been pulled over once in my truck and once in my Jeep. Both times I was polite and took the chewing. By the way our law reads up here most New 4X4 Fords and Dodges being sold off a dealers lot are not legal.
I'll go check the thread on Pirate out. Yes I got the show on the brain cause I was excited when I saw the title. I lived in Alaska as a kid and then was stationed there in the Army so I went wheeling a few times myself.
Happy New Year to everyone
Dealers can be ignorant of laws, and just about everything else as time has proven. Customer's should look into local laws regarding purchasing lifted trucks to make sure they are legal IMO.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 PM
corbo1962
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin good!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HillBillE
Bumper looks good, nice fab work.

Having two swing points on the swing out should hold up great, better than the single spindle used on most.

Plans for another swing out on the other side? For Jerry cans or Hi-Lift/axe/shovel/etc?
Yo HBillEEEEEEEEE,

It's a beaut to some and boat to others. I do plan to have a 2nd swing out for some accessories, but not those you mention. In the picture you can see my HiLift up at the front of the bed on passenger side, vertical. Eventually I have a mount to bring it down right alongside my basket that goes on the rack.

Shovel is already on the passenger wheel well. No axe in the arsenal...yet. I have a Rotopax 4 gal tank that will have a place under my basket. Bracket has not been fabbed yet. Need my buddy's sheet metal brake for it.

Some people think I should add a 2nd spare tire.

Ding Dang,
That was a ton of BS................................................ .......................................

WK,
I think the guards look great and even if you were coming up on your truck in the lane next to you your tail lights are still visible. Heck people who put those smoked covers on their tail lights are blocking them more.
Washington has the same law about mud flaps and I have been pulled over once in my truck and once in my Jeep. Both times I was polite and took the chewing. By the way our law reads up here most New 4X4 Fords and Dodges being sold off a dealers lot are not legal.
I'll go check the thread on Pirate out. Yes I got the show on the brain cause I was excited when I saw the title. I lived in Alaska as a kid and then was stationed there in the Army so I went wheeling a few times myself.
Happy New Year to everyone

Got the passenger side corner guard done today. LEOs go after rigs for mudflaps when the tire sticks outside of the fenderwell like a sore thumb. My tires 95% are within the fenders and have not garnered any attention. When I do, I'll be sure to show off the design as it's been a potential anyways. There is the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law. Ultimately, it's the LEO on the spot deciding. Done with such a ridiculous topic.

Name:  IMG_20150102_111639065_HDR.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  2.19 MB

Name:  IMG_20150102_130447239_HDR.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  2.87 MB

Name:  IMG_20150102_135959132_HDR.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  2.70 MB

Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnn123
If you are legally required to run mudflaps I do not understand why you would not? I also have to ask why not just use covers that would not block the signals as much as those will?
I haven't put the mud flaps on yet for a few reasons. One because I am just being lazy. The next is because I dislike them and end up ripping them off half the time when I am backing up. In Washington they require the mud flap to extend down to the center of the rear axle.

Originally Posted by Johnn123
Dealers can be ignorant of laws, and just about everything else as time has proven. Customer's should look into local laws regarding purchasing lifted trucks to make sure they are legal IMO.
I said new trucks. Not lifted or modified trucks. A Dodge or Ford without mud flaps brand new coming from the dealer is technically illegal. But they don't say anything about them.

I have some mud flaps I am going to try out come spring. I'll see how they look and if they last and don't get ripped off.

WK,
On my Jeep I have some removable mud flaps so that I can take them off when I hit the trail but have them for when I am on the road. Is that what your talking about doing with your truck?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
Better then the Ginseng poaching show....
What the heck is that show? I sort of lol'ed but don't know why....exactly. haha

WK,
On my Jeep I have some removable mud flaps so that I can take them off when I hit the trail but have them for when I am on the road. Is that what your talking about doing with your truck?
Yes, removable. But not until I get that warning (hopefully) or fix it ticket. My buddy in his single cab Ram on 40" Toyos (15.5" wide) running Trail Read Beadlocks (9.5" wide wheel) with 3.5" backspacing really pushes them thugs outside the fender.....he got tagged 2x and his wife 1x. He now runs removable mudflaps. Of course he's asked me and scoffs at mine seemingly not getting any love.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think stewie is talking about that show they had where a bunch of hillbillies in the Appalachians fight over these little green plants nobody cares about.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Never caught that one...

Next project...

Front limit straps and Rear Bumps

Old 01-03-2015, 01:24 PM
HillBillE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Yo HBillEEEEEEEEE,

It's a beaut to some and boat to others. I do plan to have a 2nd swing out for some accessories, but not those you mention. In the picture you can see my HiLift up at the front of the bed on passenger side, vertical. Eventually I have a mount to bring it down right alongside my basket that goes on the rack.

Shovel is already on the passenger wheel well........
I keep forgetting how much room there is in a full size

I'm coming from the Jeep side of a 'streetable' wheeling rig, and you know how much real estate there is inside a TJ for things like a shovel and Hi-Lift!

Looking good, I like the tie in too.

I would guess that after U-joint parts, that tail light pieces are the most common thing found on the trail!

Old 01-03-2015, 03:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

When I was living in the 'great white north', I hit the forestry trails on a regular basis. There was one trail, where there were some rocks that 'stepped' down about four feet. Next to this obstacle, was a tree...... with various truck parts hanging from it. I counted at least five rear bumpers, two fronts, and broken axle was leaned up against it...... and host of other miscellaneous parts. I wish I still had the picks.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't put the mud flaps on yet for a few reasons. One because I am just being lazy. The next is because I dislike them and end up ripping them off half the time when I am backing up. In Washington they require the mud flap to extend down to the center of the rear axle.

Ill agree they are a PITA to mount. I dislike them as well, but since I run aggressive tires I leave them on so I dont throw rocks or gravel at the vehicle behind me. What do you mean to the center of the axle, you mean width or height wise?

I said new trucks. Not lifted or modified trucks. A Dodge or Ford without mud flaps brand new coming from the dealer is technically illegal. But they don't say anything about them.

I have some mud flaps I am going to try out come spring. I'll see how they look and if they last and don't get ripped off.

I assumed you meant lifted new trucks, my mistake. Is that the law in Washington as well? In Ontario EVERY vehicle is legally required to have them under the Highway Traffic Act, unless they are adequately covered by the vehicles fender. Laws must be followed no matter how ridiculous.
Reply is in bold.

Quick Reply: Wheeling a fullsize