2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Guess I don't have the death wobble (uncontrollable bouncing)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guess I don't have the death wobble (uncontrollable bouncing)

I am starting to think that my shocks are just toast. I have had Ball joints TREs and trac bar replaced, aligned, and the wheels rotated and balanced.

I notice that there is no side to side shake anymore, but there seems to be an uncontrollable bouncing for a bit then it subsides. I don;t need to slow down for this bouncing to stop.

The good thing about this is that all the replaced parts WERE out of spec. But I think this is shocks. It seems like I have shocks that work and shocks that don;t work so when I hit a bump the truck is fighting with either side to try and keep from bouncing.

I guess I had the death SHAKE not the death wobble. Now that I think about it, it was always shaking, and I was not fighting the steering wheel at all.

You guys think shocks? I have 4 RS5000s in the truck ready to be installed. only 2-3 hours should get that job done.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Have you tried rotating the tires? See if the shake moves?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have you tried rotating the tires? See if the shake moves?
The shake got worse. I just realized that i bought the truck with 42K and it now has 58K and I have never balanced the tires. Rotated once.

I think tire balance is the culprit. It really feels that way. I also have some new shocks that might also be suspect. But if it were the shocks, it feels like it would have to be failure of ONLY the right front/left rear or vice versa.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

balance the tires and hope they aren't out of round from being bounced so much...

Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by Jigabop
balance the tires and hope they aren't out of round from being bounced so much...
I was going to get new tires within the next year anyway. Sooner rather than later would not be as planned, but nothing to really hurt too badly.

The truck actually rode better with 2K in the bed and pulling a 1K trailer.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I also mistyped about the shocks. I meant to say that I think the shocks are suspect, and that I have new replacements sitting in my back seat.

After the balancing I will be spending a couple hours putting in new RS5000s. Some people on this forum don't like them, but I had good experiences with my 1996 when I replaced the COMPLETELY broken and worn RS9000s that were on there. Made a world of difference.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious about whether the tires sustained any damage. And the cshocks could not hurt. I'f run that brand before, don't remember which ones as it has been yeears. No problems. My Ram had 134,000 miles, and Mopar shocks - totally toast. Changing them made a workd of difference, but the thing was so ragged, I cannot remember if I had the wobble, shakes or what.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I have RS5000's in my Power Wagon, and I love them. They made a world of difference (well, over no shocks ) are cheap, and have a lifetime warranty. I might put a set in my Ram. Let us know how you like them CPT.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I put them in my 1996, and they were super great.

UPDATE:
STILL have the shaking after balancing. Was driving with the windows down and radio off, and heard audible clicking from the passenger side.

Looks like bad hubs that need to be replaced. This warranty company is going to hate me.

--Dan

Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I am having an intermittant vibration problem lately too... I can't decide if it's the new tires (not balanced right?) or what. I will get the truck aligned come payday, and I am hoping that will fix it... The place I bought my tires at was 70 miles away

Quick Reply: Guess I don't have the death wobble (uncontrollable bouncing)