2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Water pump and efan install.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump and efan install.

So I decided to tear into it tonight. I also decided to take some pictures and do a small right up.

Removal of water pump was pretty straight forward.

First I unbolted the fan from the clutch so i could have room to get the shroud off. Easily done with a wrench. Then take off coolant overflow and windshield washer tank (just slides right up and off). Then remove the four bolts holding the shroud on.

Name:  7d0a3316.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  316.2 KB

Then I removed the radiator hoses and the heater hose and tube. Then just remove all the water pump bolts. I believe there were 7. The one right above the pulley is a little tricky but with the right extension and angle I was able to get it out. Once I had all the bolts removed, I gave it a couple of whacks with a 2x4 to knock it loose and it came right out.

Name:  cd031fc7.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  299.5 KB

This is what the old pump looked like. Notice that the bearing was soooo bad that the blades were eating into the pump housing.

Name:  cf495511.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  330.1 KB

Then with a scraper of some sort remove the old gasket material while being careful to not scar the mating surface. I ended taking some sandpaper to it to get it as clean as i could.

Name:  d325f643.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  245.4 KB

This is as far as I have gotten right now. I will be finishing it and the efan install in the morning. Should I use some RTV with the gasket? If so, what kind? Also does that mating surface look clean enough? I scrubbed and scrapped it for 30 min or so. Does anyone know any tricks for getting that upper hose back on? Its awfully darn short and hard to get to.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not use RTV on mine. No leaks.

What e-fan are you gong to use?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:42 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gdstock
I did not use RTV on mine. No leaks.

What e-fan are you gong to use?
Grand Cherokee single 19" with the factory shroud.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 AM
gdstock
Legend

I like the additional room under the hood with e-fan I installed, but did not used the factory shroud for that reason. I suppose cutting some of it back would not hurt and accomplish the room.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gdstock
I like the additional room under the hood with e-fan I installed, but did not used the factory shroud for that reason. I suppose cutting some of it back would not hurt and accomplish the room.
I thought about this to. But then quickly realized what a pain it would be to figure out how to mount the windshield washer and coolant tanks, as they mount to the sides of the shroud. At most I think i could remove 1.5-2" and I just dont think it would be worth it. But I think later on I will make me a shroud.

I went back out and did a little more work. Mounted the fan to the shroud with a couple of zipties. Positioned the fan where I wanted it, marked where the three holes needed to be, and drilled them out. Then just pulled the zipties good and tight. I was a little concerned with this method at first but once i got it on there and the zip ties tight all my concerns dissappeared. Its as solid as a rock.

Name:  dac1a339.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  331.5 KB
Name:  4915cc31.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  297.5 KB
Name:  35b24bda.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  327.9 KB
Name:  6de317a5.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  229.4 KB

Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 AM
gdstock
Legend

Different approach. Others I have seen had fan attached to radiator. The two tanks mounting is why I was thinking of cutting part of it back to just past where you cut.

If there was a place here that I couldget aluminum welded, I woudl have gotten them to fab the shroud. I used the TCP kit which places fan at radiator but has wings that hold the tanks.

I think if you check the tie wraps periodically in the beginning to make sure they are holding tight you should be good!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

I mounted mine (same fan) with the tabs inside the shroud. It is at a bit of an angle, but it still works. I think that with the fan being so close to the motor it is actually reducing flow, since the air has nowhere to go... I really would like a better shroud, but I haven't had any overheating issues with it the way it is.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I mounted mine (same fan) with the tabs inside the shroud. It is at a bit of an angle, but it still works. I think that with the fan being so close to the motor it is actually reducing flow, since the air has nowhere to go... I really would like a better shroud, but I haven't had any overheating issues with it the way it is.
So it sounds like the Jeep fan is working well for ya? Good deal

Mine sits an inch off the rad with no shroud, when it's running it will suck up a bath towel and hold it to the grill.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2

Mine sits an inch off the rad with no shroud, when it's running it will suck up a bath towel and hold it to the grill.

So we need about 400 cfm OR a bath towel to effectively cool a Magnum engine?

Now you know I am going to have to take...er sneak... one of the wife's towels out to the garage in the moning and.....

Old 05-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2

Yes sir it is! Thanks again for the original suggestion and part # Hahns

I would love to see what your brackets look like, I might try this myself. Could you either PM a few pics or put them here? Also, how is your controller set up? (On/off temps, thermostat temp) Thanks!

Quick Reply: Water pump and efan install.