2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

87 Octane with ethanol or 93 ethanol free

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Shreveport CITGO 91 Otto's Lakeshore 5785 S. Lakeshore Dr
Shreveport CITGO 93 Southfield Citgo 101 Southfield Rd
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=LA

Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot... Those are both a ways out of the way of my usual driving. Thanks wolfie, I might start using one anyway

Old 06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

your welcome. i think that was the website that got me using 91 octane at the shell gas station and i try to only buy from shell so i can get air miles. 190 air mile=$20 off gas.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's getting harder for me to find ethanol free around here. The only place within 12 miles doesn't take credit cards (which I think is ridiculous - it's not 1960!) but the place is a mom & pop and they are more into auto repairs than selling gas.

So I'm pretty much using Star Tron all the time now. As far as fuel economy goes, I get best with non-ethanol, but Star Tron in ethanol gas without a doubt gets me better fuel economy than without, plus it runs smoother which is most notable at idle.

Now as far as the octane goes, I don't have a choice, I have to run 93 with my tune on the truck and the Jeep (when it's on the road - I'm currently rebuilding the engine thanks to a dropped valve seat) wants 91 or higher because it's got the HO engine.

If your not getting any knock (pre-detonation) with the 87 and you aren't seeing a fuel economy boost with the higher octane then there really isn't a need to spend the extra money. But I'm betting if you get the calculator out you'll find the higher octane, ethanol free gas is probably no more expensive to run than the cheap stuff because of MPG gains.

BTW - Fuel economy isn't the only reason to run Star Tron (or similar products), the ethanol is just pure out bad, especially in the way it attracts water vapor to it. These products also clean the entire system. So just because you don't see the MPG gain most do, there are other reasons to use gasoline additives...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-05-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get ethanol free gas without blinking an eye, got 2 or 3 station's right here in Fitz.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hammer I love your quote today!

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I only have three emotions - Horny, Hungry & Hatred. If I don't have an erection, then you best be making me a sandwich...

Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by stewie01
I can get ethanol free gas without blinking an eye, got 2 or 3 station's right here in Fitz.
I don't think there are any in Coffee County, least that I could find, which is surprising because there are a lot of small independents. But I've not been up home since last November, got my hands full taking care of my mom down in Fla. I was hoping to make it up this month, but my aunt who usually stays with mom and gives me a break just found out she has bone cancer. So I think I'm down here for a while...

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Hammer I love your quote today!

Every once in a while I come up with a good'n...

Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=HammerZ71;2799161]I don't think there are any in Coffee County, least that I could find, which is surprising because there are a lot of small independents. But I've not been up home since last November, got my hands full taking care of my mom down in Fla. I was hoping to make it up this month, but my aunt who usually stays with mom and gives me a break just found out she has bone cancer. So I think I'm down here for a while...

According to pure-gas.org there is an ethanol free station in Douglas.

UNBRANDED 87 92 Fletcher Fuel Center 958 Sw Bowens Mill Road N31.49523 W82.87005 map details

That should be over by the Wal-Mart DC

Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I know right where it is. It's a fairly big station, just off the main highway that's popular with the big rig drivers on the by-pass because they have a huge parking lot. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up...

Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Another reason the ethanol is bad for our engines is using its "high" octane rating, they can use lower quality gas, and use the ethanol to "make up for it." They neglect to tell you that to achieve ethanol's full octane rating, which is about 99, the engine has to be under much higher compression than a standard, naturally aspirated usually is. Usually you need a high end, racing engine with a supercharger/turbocharger to achieve the compression necessary to burn ethanol at its full 99 octane. So, in effect, the ethanol actually isn't compensating for the lower quality gas. When you think you are buying 87 octane with 10% ethanol, you are actually buying a mix of 10% ethanol and 82 or so octane fuel.

I know there are other bad things about ethanol, but makes me wonder whether it is truly the ethanol that lowers my MPGs, or the lower octane gas...

I run 91 usually, because I eventually plan on buying a programmer, and its ethanol free in South Dakota. 89 octane is 10% ethanol, and I get 1.5 to 2 MPG lower, consistently, with it. Even though my newer 4.7L V8 is E85 capable, you will never catch me with that in my tank. Although, I will admit, the thought crossed part of my mind today when I saw E85 was $2.75 a gallon compared to $3.25 for 89 with 10%, and even more for 91.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-05-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane with ethanol or 93 ethanol free