2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Long trip/tow, what else to do to be ready?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 AM
sarmikgar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long trip/tow, what else to do to be ready?

Ive a got a ~400 mile trip coming up and will have about 4k lbs combined in the bed and behind the truck. Ive been preparing for this for awhile and am still working on the truck. Trip starts on 7/11 and will be coming home on 7/16, will be a slight grade(going from 2500 ft to about 7000 ft, Ive been told its not too hard of a climb, but never personally driven it), and ambient temps will possibly be ranging from 100+ daytime to 40ish at night during the trip.

Things Ive done over the past several months, in order:

New fuel tank and pump
New tires
Timing chain
Plenum fix (Hughes plate)
Dist cap and rotor, plug wires, plugs
Magnaflow 23285 cat
Engine oil/filter change(430 miles since that change now)
New front brake pads and rotors
Rear diff oil change
Shocks
Steering Stabilizer
Radio

Tomorrow Im going to give the trans some love, I have a wix filter, 6 quarts atf+4, Borg Warner HD sensor and solenoid, and a B&M drain plug kit.

I have about a month till the trip and have been wondering if there was anything else I could squeeze in that would help get the truck ready. Ive kinda kicked around the e-fan idea.. not sure I have enough cash/install/testing time for that though.

Id LOVE to get a gear put in, but I dont have the cash for that right now so please dont suggest that lol.

Any other ideas in the $150ish and under range?

Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 AM
SilverSS
Captain

Check all hoses and belt. If the belt looks worn or cracked get a new one and keep the old one as a spare. I'd get another quart of atf before you change it - mine took about 7 qts last time I changed it. Do you have an aftermarket trans cooler? If not I'd recommend one. Trans temp gauge would also be a good idea. Remember to leave od off. If it's been a while since you had the front end aligned may want to consider that. Check ball joints, wheel bearings, etc.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Double check your spare tire pressure, leaks, ect. I always keep some extra antifreeze, oil , trans fluid, water in the truck, just in case, especially on a long trip.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

LOL seriously? You're doing all that work to drive about 7 hours? My truck has taken several 2 and 3k mile trips with no work. Just get on the road and drive. These trucks excel at long distance. Change oil, check / lube and go. Good grief you're wasting gas money...

Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 PM
sarmikgar
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
LOL seriously? You're doing all that work to drive about 7 hours? My truck has taken several 2 and 3k mile trips with no work. Just get on the road and drive. These trucks excel at long distance. Change oil, check / lube and go. Good grief you're wasting gas money...
Well, honestly, the last time I towed a decent load for a camping trip on a steeper grade I had alot of trouble. I do the same/similar trip every year, 3 years ago I did ok with a light load, last year I was afraid I wouldnt make it up the mountain(steep grade), had some pinging, lack of power, pretty much was stuck at 20-30mph even on the flatter straights. The wind was pushing me all over the highway on the way there. The fuel tank had sucked itself in and cracked prior to that trip, was replaced 2 days before we left.

All of that prompted me to get some more things done before this years trip. Plenum was blown, using a qt a week, shocks and tires were from 2001 when the lift was put on. The truck needed the work, and the list doesnt include alot that I did, new 02's, valve cover breather and pcv valve, belt, front sway bar links..

Anyway, Im happy to maintain/upgrade as I can, truck tows and does some 4 wheeling usually while we are out camping, so I like to have the peace of mind I guess, if gas mileage was a problem Id be buying/renting another vehicle. I could spend alot more and still wouldnt get better mileage, fuel cost isnt an issue really.. I can afford gas, cant afford a breakdown in the middle of the desert.

Some shots from the trans fluid/solenoid/sensor change today:

Name:  100_1870.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:  100_1873.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  100_1874.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  100_1875.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  109.0 KB

Last edited by sarmikgar; 06-12-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll appreciate the drain plug in the future.
where did you get your sensor/solenoid? cost?

if you don't already have a trans cooler, that'd be a useful addition.

is this your first ever transmission service or has the fluid been changed over the years. if this is the first ever, and you had a heavy coat of sludge, you should change fluid and filter again in a week or two or three.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 PM
sarmikgar
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
where did you get your sensor/solenoid? cost?

if you don't already have a trans cooler, that'd be a useful addition.

is this your first ever transmission service or has the fluid been changed over the years. if this is the first ever, and you had a heavy coat of sludge, you should change fluid and filter again in a week or two or three.
Got the sensor/solenoid from here:
http://doghousediesel.com/catalog/i307.html

Didnt have much sludge, but there was more silver than I think there should have been Im afraid. I dont know when it was changed last. I think from my paperwork I got with the truck it was at like 110-120k when the new/reman trans was put in(163k now), but Id have to look to be sure and dont know if it was done prior to me getting the truck at 133k.

Its going to get changed again for sure, already bought a gasket and 6 more qts. Damn pan gasket is dripping slightly, so I figured Id watch the level and drive to work a few days(about 5 miles away) then change it out again. I really hope its not hurt.

I have the factory trans cooler, in between the rad and condenser that(I think) comes with the tow package.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
Got the sensor/solenoid from here:
http://doghousediesel.com/catalog/i307.html

Didnt have much sludge, but there was more silver than I think there should have been Im afraid. I dont know when it was changed last. I think from my paperwork I got with the truck it was at like 110-120k when the new/reman trans was put in(163k now), but Id have to look to be sure and dont know if it was done prior to me getting the truck at 133k.

Its going to get changed again for sure, already bought a gasket and 6 more qts. Damn pan gasket is dripping slightly, so I figured Id watch the level and drive to work a few days(about 5 miles away) then change it out again. I really hope its not hurt.

I have the factory trans cooler, in between the rad and condenser that(I think) comes with the tow package.
The "silver" stuff is not good, but if it has been there since rebuild there may not be an issue (hopefully).

If one overtightens the pan bolts, it can distort pan and allow it to leak. Torque to 13 ft pounds. May have to place pan on flat surface to check and straighten. Some decent aftermaket pans have heavier lip.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
where did you get your sensor/solenoid? cost?....
I got mine from HERE for a little less money.

And +1 on the drain plug....

Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've had good luck with the rubber gasket in the Advance Auto atf filter kit. i've always had poor luck with the cork gaskets.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 PM
sarmikgar
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
The "silver" stuff is not good, but if it has been there since rebuild there may not be an issue (hopefully).

If one overtightens the pan bolts, it can distort pan and allow it to leak. Torque to 13 ft pounds. May have to place pan on flat surface to check and straighten. Some decent aftermaket pans have heavier lip.
Im on the fence for sealant or not.. alot of people Ive talked to say they put them on dry, one said he only puts sealant between the pan and gasket, others say light to medium coat on both sides of gasket. The one on there now was from a WIX kit(rubber I think), and seemed pretty thick so I didnt use any sealant, but it is leaking a little bit. I have a new Fel Pro I bought with the fluid and another WIX kit I wanted to save but could steal a gasket from.

Considering ordering/installing the Derale deep pan before I drop the pan again, my local 4 wheel parts has the Mag-Hytec for $275 but my Wife would probably shoot me. I have savings I can pull from for it, but If it needs a rebuild a $300 deep pan isnt going to help in the end.. and Im on the fence on that too, since the truck does do some off-roading over hard surfaces.

Quick Reply: Long trip/tow, what else to do to be ready?