2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dashboard replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012 | 01:07 AM
95ramhead
|
Exclamation Dashboard replacement

Anybody know where to find a repalcement dash for these trucks that does not cost over $100?

Mine is not too bad right now, but it is falling apart in bits and pieces-- baseball size chunks each time

Old 06-12-2012 | 01:55 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Nope. Not that I've seen.
Amazon Amazon
That is OEM Mopar, meaning it will fall apart again in 10 years unless they've got a UV coat on the new stuff now.

Old 06-12-2012 | 09:27 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

New mopar pieces are made from ABS plastic, meaning they won't break. That part number is the one for the good piece.

Old 06-12-2012 | 09:57 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-Pi...f25e62&vxp=mtr

I have 1 crack in my dash-it's had a dash mat since I bought it about 6 years ago. I am just going to put it on over the current dash so if it keeps cracking, it'll already have a cover and won't look as bad. If anyone cares, most(all that aren't garaged) Toyota Tundra's and Tacoma's have their dashes crack all to hell here in Az within 5 years-and their "the best", right? My nephew's 2005 has that thick padding under the plastic cover, but it is just falling apart and when he gets in or out of his truck or has the window down, he gets covered in that hard, fossilized yellow padding crap.

Old 10-20-2012 | 07:46 PM
ranger36

I hate to sound like a complete idiot here but I need some help with my dash. The top is completely gone. I see plenty of replacements on ebay. The panel in the front, I think its called a bezel, is loose. I pulled it off and to my surprise the part of the dash that it snaps into is all busted up as well. Its busted in several places. Where the climate controls are is busted up and falls in. Around the glove box and passenger air bag is busted and the panel below the steering column is too. It looks like I need a complete new one, but damned if I know what part its called or where to start looking. Im afraid to get one from the junk yard cos it'd prolly be in the same shape. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 10-20-2012 | 08:15 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by ranger36
I hate to sound like a complete idiot here but I need some help with my dash. The top is completely gone.
The top is the only part rightly called the "dash". A new, high quality replacement can be had from LMC Truck for about $250, delivered.

The rest of it, outside of the HVAC enclosure, is called the instrument panel. The black thing that goes around the instrument cluster and radio and which includes the power outlet is the instrument panel bezel. For '99 up, LMC Truck also sells a replacement piece.

As for the other panels and pieces, you can download the Factory Service Manual from the forum's FAQ/DIY section to determine their correct nomenclatures.

Lower interior panels that haven't seen a lot of direct sunlight are probably okay coming from the junkyard. The upper stuff is another story. And if you need the airbag, you're best off biting the bullet and just buying a new one. It'd suck to have one blow out unexpectedly, and it could be life ending to have one not blow out when it should.

Old 10-20-2012 | 08:17 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Find a complete intact lower frame/assembly in a JY. Buy the bezel and top pad from one of the online retailers that have a lifetime warranty.

Old 10-20-2012 | 08:44 PM
ranger36

Hey, thanks for the speedy replies guys! I been burning up the web trying to find what I need.I'm so glad I found Dodge Forum, even though it was completely by accident lol! Still learning how to use this though. I looked for the service manual for my model but couldn't find one for a '99. I'll look again.

Old 10-20-2012 | 08:49 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by ranger36
I looked for the service manual for my model but couldn't find one for a '99. I'll look again.
The only one there is for 2001, but for instrument panel stuff it's just fine and will enable you to get the job done.

Old 10-28-2012 | 09:23 AM
Abom79

This forum has always been my go-to spot on the web for great info. Nothing like talking to thousands of other Dodge truck owners about the problems one find.
Its amazing to me just how bad the quality was on these factory dashboards. I have a 94 Ram, bought when I was 17, and still own it today. The "dash pad" has been cracked for years now, every year getting worse and worse. Now the top pad has huge chuncks missing from it. Yesterday I decided to install a new JVC head unit so I can use my Ipod and Iphone. When taking the cup holders out, and the bezel, the frame work of the dash started breaking and falling apart! WTF! When I got the bezel off I started inspecting the dash and noticed where it bolts to the instrament panel, its all just breaking apart. The tabs where you screw in the cup holders broke off so now I can screw that part back in. Even the area where the screws go that hold the radio in are cracked and trying to come apart now. Im worried that after using the radio for some time, its just going to break.
So Ive been doing some research online and google trying to find whats availible out there for parts. I have found the top dash cap easy. That ones easy to replace. But the rest of the dash I cant find anything on. WTF is the use in buying the dash cap if the rest of the dash that it bolts to is in just as bad of shape. Im afraid that even if I find a salvage truck yard that the parts in it will be the same as mine.
Does anyone know if the parts are still availible from a Dodge parts dealer? Like some OEM stuff. If you can still buy some factory parts id rather do that. I love my ole truck and want to keep driving it. But having a dash thats falling apart sucks!

Quick Reply: Dashboard replacement