2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Major acceleration issues, wont go when pressing the accelerator. Almost got stuck :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 PM
elektromaniak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Major acceleration issues, wont go when pressing the accelerator. Almost got stuck :(

Hey guys,

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 1999 V8 with 5.2L engine. It's not my main vehicle, I use it mostly for work and doing house renovation & garnening.

I noticed a few weeks ago some issues when pressing the gas pedal, sometimes it wouldnt go.

Initially it was very slightly and wasnt really affecting my driving, but a few days ago, it would hardly go. Basically when pressing very slightly it seemed ok, but if you just pressed just a bit more then it wouldn't take it's gas.

I almost got stuck today, it wouldn't take it's gas and on top of that I could hear like a few small popping sound from the engine (sounded like small detonation) or something. I put the 4 flashers and release the gas on the right lane, few seconds after I pressed very lightly just to get it going then it seemed ok and I made it home.

I had the truck for about a year and half now, I didnt have any of those issues initially, it pretty much started in the past few months.

I was told it could be because the fuel filter might be clogged, or possibly the spark plugs. (The wires and cap were just changed by the previous owner).

I just put in a new battery today and also added a fuel treatment kit in the gas tank hoping it would help cleaning the fuel system. However the problem still persist.

I would really appreciate your advices regarding this. I am not quite sure how I should tackle this. I looked around for the gas filter, but I couldnt find it anywhere, (usually they are under the driver side runner panel on most truck).

Someone mentioned the gas filter might be in-tank only, is that right for the 99? Or if you have any other idea of the issues, that would be great.

Not willing to bring it to a shop and spend a lot on it, hopefully it's something I can fix in the driveway

Thanks

Last edited by elektromaniak; 06-17-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple things come to mind.

TPS may be bad. Disconnect battery, remove TPS and test it.

Cat could be clogged. Have you addressed the plenum issue? Remove the upstream O2 sensor and let it hang. Start truck and see if it works better. If so, your cat is clogged.

Check fuel pressure with gauge. Should be between 45 to 49psi...

Last edited by gdstock; 06-18-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 AM
glen_brdy

try fuel filter my 90 model chevy did the same thing....that wood be the first thing to do......

mabe u can help me out....i have a 98 dodgedurango win i put it in reverse in makes a loud whining sound but not in drive.....but win i put it in drive it takes a few sec to go in and it jumps first....but i will not go in to 3rd or 4th but can hold it in to first but rides ruff can eny on tell me what it can be

Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 AM
elektromaniak

Originally Posted by gdstock
A couple things come to mind.

TPS may be bad. Disconnect battery, remove TPS and test it.

Cat could be clogged. Have you addressed the plenum issue? Remove the upstream O2 sensor and let it hang. Start truck and see if it works better. If so, your cat is clogged.

Check fuel pressure with gauge. Should be between 45 to 49psi...
Thanks, I have not addressed the plenum issue yet. Truck has 180 000 km, it idle well and most of the time accelerate ok when floored (still kicks in), seems worst when cold. Have not checked the plug yet, might be a good idea too.

If it would be the cat, wouldn't be always clogged? I can still go wide open throttle and it kicks in. Just randomly or when cold I get the low rpm hesitation when accelerating.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a tune up. i bet that is the main issue right there!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 AM
elektromaniak

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
do a tune up. i bet that is the main issue right there!
Thanks, the cap and wires are almost new. Battery too.
I changed the air filter, only the plugs left. Anything else you would recommend for the tune up?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

PCV valve from dealer. (has the correct flow rate.)
O2 sensors. (at least the pre-cat.) Go with NTK or Denso, stay away from Bosch.

As an easy test, take out the pre-cat O2 from the exhaust completely. (yes, it will be louder, and will set a code....) see if the truck runs better. If it does, cat becomes the top suspect.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure the cap, and rotor you have, have the brass terminals. they give the best spark..... make sure you route the plug wires per the TSB found in the faq section of the forum.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check cat......and plenum......

Quick Reply: Major acceleration issues, wont go when pressing the accelerator. Almost got stuck :(