2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

need dog tips !

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:42 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default need dog tips !

Someone help me .. what's some tips on properly introducing Gsd . Mine is 4 years and my parents is 10 months and it didn't go well at all . We used a mussel what's some other steps . When they get close one would make a sudden bark or lunge and then goes back too wanting too wanna kill eachother ..

We hung out in the yard for about a hour both got tired its hard to get them close ?

Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Let them loose and do what they want. (might not turn out good) but I bet it might. WHen the dogs are on a leash, they both feel threatened/vulnerable, to the other dog. Plus , they are in protection mode when on a leash. Mine also hates other dogs, but when mine wanders down the driveway and comes into contact with other dogs, there is no problem. They are German Shepards and will protect their property and you no matter what. If one dog is on it's property and is aggressive, the other will automatically go into defense mode. Take them both to a neutral site, and go from there. SOunds to me like they both need to be socialized more with other dogs, like mine.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gonna suggest to just let them together.. Sooner or later the young one will realize hes not the dominant animal. Like zman said they could fight or they can just run around and play and be nice with eachother.. Just keep a close watch on them and be ready to stop them from a fight if that happens. if a dog isnt used to other dogs being around there can be a little jealousy issuse but they will soon get over it.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Ol_RedRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muzzle them and let them roam in an environment that they are both comfortable in. After they seem comfortable with each other, remove the muzzles and let 'em go. Just be prepared with a water hose. Don't get physically involved if a fight happens.

My German Shepherd is 8 years old. He was about 6 when I got him and he's taken to my other dogs. Both dogs were around 2 years old when I brought home the GSD. They get along pretty well, sometimes a skirmish, but one usually chickens out.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:42 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

Well they wanted to fight with leashes and when they settle down if one barks or does a lounge they get into the fighting mode and its rough my dogs mussel came off and I though she ripped her ear off it actually scarred the chit outta me

It's gonna be a rough process , I just don't want to do the introduction thing evreytime they meet . They will be meeting st least once or twice a week .

Do you think getting them fixed would calm this down . Both of them are females not spades .

Were going to try the park tommorrow

My dog no matter what goes aftter a dog if were on the block she gets into fight mode.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I taught my dog "settle". It means she needs to mellow out, and be a good girl. (of course, she was young, and impressionable when I taught her that one....) So, when she gets rambunctious, like, meeting another dog...... I can just tell her to settle, and most of the time..... she will.

If your dog hasn't been socialized much, it's gonna be an exercise. The no-leash dog parks are great for socializing...... although, gotta be careful with what size dogs are there. Not sure if little dogs would be less 'intimidating' to yours or not.... I have had to wrestle fighting dogs apart. It isn't fun, and I did NOT get away unscathed...... but, I wasn't about to let them tear into each other either.... (sometimes, I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.....)

Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

Dog fights are scary it can be mellow 1 second and in a flash its a fight .

And to think micheal vick did it as a living is hideous

Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by lastrights
Dog fights are scary it can be mellow 1 second and in a flash its a fight .

And to think micheal vick did it as a living is hideous
This has nothing to do with dogs that are born and raised to fight. Most normal dogs will stop when prompted to do so. And they don't hurt each other as bad as pit fighting, believe it or not. With normal dogs, one will usually always submit, and the other will stop.

On a side note, once they get along, the next time they see each other once or twice a week, they should trust each other and have fun. Other dogs they don't know will still be a problem.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

The Gsd I bought he had a pit bull and he said when he brought her home it wasn't pretty

Pretty sure this is why she don't get along with other dogs

Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by lastrights
The Gsd I bought he had a pit bull and he said when he brought her home it wasn't pretty

Pretty sure this is why she don't get along with other dogs
You had em on a leash, nuff said.

Quick Reply: need dog tips !