2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Possible trans noise when changing gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 06:06 PM
sarmikgar
|
Professional
Default Possible trans noise when changing gears

Wanted to see if I could get some input on this from you guys. I don't hear very well on my left, about 20% of normal, no help when identifying noises but I am 100% sure its coming from the trans area/under cab, not in engine bay.

For a few months now I have had a very intermittent noise when changing from P-R, R-D, P-D and when coming to a stop under 5 mph. The noise lasts about 2 seconds long and sounds sorta like an inconsistent "rattle", it has done it at cold start up shifting into drive for the first time, but then wont do that again for weeks. Someday's it will make the noise a few times but then not a peep the next few days.

I have done ton of work on the truck and have gotten under it looking for loose heat shields and stuff several times.

I tried to film it, but the past two days I cant get it to make the noise when I try.. may try again tonight.

I am hoping not, but sorta sure it is a bearing going out in the trans somewhere, but thought I might ask here for any other suggestions

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-02-2012 | 07:08 PM
gdstock
Legend

The bearings inside the transmission are not known to go out often, and I am not aware that one could hear it before it did.

Is it 2wd or 4x4? Have you checked u joints very closely for any signs of wear? This could give a rattle or clicking sound. What about exhaust leak?

Old 07-02-2012 | 07:50 PM
sarmikgar
|
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
The bearings inside the transmission are not known to go out often, and I am not aware that one could hear it before it did.

Is it 2wd or 4x4? Have you checked u joints very closely for any signs of wear? This could give a rattle or clicking sound. What about exhaust leak?
4wd(is my sig showing?)

I have not checked the u joints, they are on my list(long) to replace sometime soon.. a job I've never done before on any vehicle. Proper way to check them?(gonna go read on it if I can find anything).

I had the Magnaflow Y/2-1 cat welded on, I checked the manifold bolts, and looked for leaks at the welds a week or so later and they were tight/not leaking. Runs and idles smoothly and quiet, quiet enough I can hear the rattling pcv valve at idle. I could have developed a manifold leak I guess.. honestly haven't checked there either, they are stock and never been off.

The trans does shift and drives totally normal, I put the HD sensor and solenoid in on 6/22 and had a pan leak, just dropped it again on 6/30. I got a gauge(port 4), in the morning(85*ish) it may barely top 130* on my 6 mile trip to work.. in the afternoon its 100*-105*+ here some days.. the same trip will get me over 150*. I have been over 210* on a 45 min trip, city with 2 miles of slow 25 mph rolling traffic, and it was like 108* out that day.

If the trans isn't hurt I want to upgrade to a better cooler with a fan on it and deep pan asap. Too damn hot here in the summer, truck hates the heat.

Old 07-02-2012 | 08:27 PM
gdstock
Legend

Yep...sig is showing...don't know how I missed that. I suspect U Joints. Safely blcok wheels on truck. Climb under and twist driveshaft back and forth. Look for the slightest movement in the joint. There should be no looseness or movement at the joint itself.

And I've been to Vegas in the summer....until I learned better! Way too hot!

Quick Reply: Possible trans noise when changing gears