2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

M1 intake ordered

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FireDodge
Well I bought a whole motor and resealed the whole thing, so the whole thing ran better once I swapped motors. Couldn't tell you if it ran better with just the timing chain alone.

Hope this isn't too foolish a question.......what do you meand by reslealed the whole thing...?

Last edited by gdstock; 07-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 AM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New head gaskets, intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, water pump, oil pan gasket... that stuff... And I took it out to cruise night in Kearney Ne and while I was at the local drag strip I said eff it and took her out on the strip. Ran 3 times...

1st run - 18.4 @72, but I let off half way because I was tryin to be nice to it. That was also with my 14x3 and the 93 tune with 91 octane fuel.

2nd run - 18.1 @76.5, little better launch, still 93 tune.

3rd run - 18.075 @75, with stock air cleaner with k&n drop in, manual shifting, mediocre launch

This was all with 4.56's with 35's and my first drag run haha, not impressive, but I'm happy. I also think it would be a bit faster without the 300 pound bumper on the front haha. But something alarmed me as I ran each time. I was still burning a lot of oil. The valve seals and head gaskets are all new as of October last year. Could it be piston rings? The motor had unknown miles on it, but the cylinders looked to be in really nice condition.

A cam would be awesome down the road, but currently I need to save for a transmission. I'm getting a slip between 2nd and 3rd and it has 194,000 miles on it.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

With 194K on the clock, I wouldn't be surprised if the rings weren't going south. Do a compression test, that will give you an idea of what is going on. Unfortunately, it won't tell you squat about your oil control rings.......

Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Glad you like it!! You should see a small improvement in mpg as well IF you can keep your foot out of it. The next thing you need is a wideband A/F meter so you can give sct all the info needed.
Ditto to liking it.

I'm still on the hook to get the A/F meter. But don't tell merc225hp that.

FireDodge -- I saw you did some drags. I haven't attempted any of that schtuff, but how do you like the throttle response? I have been very enthusiastic with mine given recent wheeling trip. Makes such a big difference with the control combined with my current gearing.

Kudos on diagnosing the oil consumption. I wonder if it would be worth putting on an oil separator after the PCV (like gdstock did) just to get an idea (if any) on oil through there.

Update when you can.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
FireDodge
Captain

I think the throttle response is incredible now, night and day difference. It was my first drag so I cannot compare it previously but it definitely impressed me. I'll look into the a/f meter some time, but currently saving for a tranny cuz mine might blow sometime soon lol

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM
FireDodge
Captain

So I'm pretty sure my rings are shot now, I put a couple quarts in yesterday and some stop- smoke stuff and when I started my truck this morning it was just bellowing out smoke like I have never seen. It filled up my neighborhood and slowed once I got to operating temp. But still pretty constant. Ordered a re-ring kit with all new gaskets and bearings, should be here in the morning tomorrow and I'll do an all day job on it. Wallet hurts a bit

Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a comp or leak down test before you take it all apart. What intake gaskets did you use?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM
FireDodge
Captain

All felpro gaskets

Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A m1 is is single plane . Did you make sure the manifold got torqued corectly with the gaskets . Maybe wanna of the coolent ports is letting some out into the motor ? ?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:53 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did that kit have the cork end gaskets or the rubber ones? If they were cork you need to swap them out for the rubber ones.

Quick Reply: M1 intake ordered