2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What can you do with your 1/2 ton truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:03 AM
Plainbroke
Veteran

I love those things mine reads like 40 mpg for a mile or so coasting in to town..

Old 07-14-2012 | 11:35 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by techningeer
Ok everybody, you can breathe again. Here is the first part. More coming next week! Here goes. Hopefully I can remember everything. First thing is engine oil. I don't use anything besides genuine Rotella T 10w30 or 15w40 (both work just as good regardless what the manual says). I then added SeaFoam to the oil. I use FRAM ToughGard oil filter designed for the V10 engine of that year. It gives a lot better oil flow at high engine RPMs, increasing the oil film and giving better wedging at high speeds which increases efficiency, if even a little bit, every little bit adds up. I have tried Valvoline Conventional and MaxLife partial synthetic engine oils. They both are junk. MaxLife burns through the rings like mad, and Conventional doesn't keep the engine as clean and doesn't stay as cool as the Rotella T. Next thing is the air filter. Don't go with the cheap MicroGard filters, they don't catch as much dirt and restrict the air flow. I use the $8 FRAM filter, as it is much better. And NEVER EVER use Penzoil or Quaker State engine oil because they are paraffin based and actually harm your engine. Next step is the transmission fluid. I use Valvoline Dex/Merc Full synthetic with Lucas Transmission Fix. It stays cooler, and helps keep down transmission wear and slipping. I am digging up my records for the other stuff because there is alot more. I will post again soon! --Keagan
So let me make sure i have this correct. You use a oil that is designed for diesels in your gas engine, a oil filter from a v10 on your v8, and the wrong transmission fluid in your tranny?

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:11 PM
aofarrell2
|
Champion

Correct. Makes a big difference, too. The transmission doesn't slip and stays alot cooler and quieter with the Dex/Merc. Diesel oil works way better as well!! Seems strange, but it is true.

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:22 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I have used 15/40 in my truck from day 1. I also use it in all my cars. I have since I was a diesel mechanic. No oil is better at sticking to the rings and bearings in an engine than 15/40. It *******ly eliminates dry start up that EVERY single lighter oil does. The only knock on 15/40 in light vehicles is that it hurts mileage. That may be true when an engine is cold, but within 3-5 minutes, it is just as viscous as light weight oil. I'll give you the reason I switched everything to diesel:
I tore down a 63 Cummins to rebuild it, after it had been sitting locked up for 1 year. When I pulled the pistons, they slipped out of my hands because of the oil that was still on them. The injector gear was broken and had seized up the accessory gears and there was no way for the engine to turn. So even after 100°+ summer days and -20° winter days, the oil was still clinging to the pistons and cylinders. So if you haven't used it for years, like me, don't try to be an internet hero and knock it.

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:23 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Really? There's something wrong with C O M P L E T E?

Old 07-14-2012 | 01:06 PM
aofarrell2
|
Champion

That is one of the reasons i use it as well. Other reason it: Diesel oils have to be made to higher standards than do gas oils because diesels have finer tolerances than gas engines. So, what does it hurt to put better in your engine? Nothing at all, only helps.

Old 07-14-2012 | 01:19 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

ok i have never heard of using rotella in a gas engine before. this is all news to me. But maybe i will give it a try. Anyone else here using it?

But the transmission fluid on the other hand, seems awfully risky. I know that my truck didnt have correct fluid in it and the tranny was running really hot. Since i serviced it with the correct fluid the temps have come down a little bit. Still runs hot but since you cant get all the fluid out it is going to take a few changes before I have removed most of the previous fluid.

Old 07-14-2012 | 02:18 PM
aofarrell2
|
Champion

QuadCabLuv, Dodge recommends that you use their Mopar ATF+3 in the 1996 year models, not sure on the newer ones, but they say if that isn't available, use Dexron III. So I got the Dex/Merc instead of the straight Dexron. Keep in mind that this truck is pushing 148K on as far as I can tell the original tranny with no rebuilds. We do extreme towing, and the Dex/Merc performs way better than ATF+3.

Old 07-14-2012 | 02:30 PM
stewie01
Legend

ATF+4 is for the newer transmissions.....

Old 07-14-2012 | 02:36 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

My trick has had Quaker state oil in it for the past 11 years since it was bought new in 01.

We work it like a dog and it has 204,000 miles with nothing but a plenum fix. Ill need some proof it actually harms your engine before I jump off the bandwagon.

Quick Reply: What can you do with your 1/2 ton truck?